Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2011 new and have loved it but on mine the worst weak link is the stupid needle bearing in the rear drive. My original one lasted about 5k and now the second one is roaring up a storm. What have you guys found to hold up as far as grease for this small bearing?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Is this the bearing in the removable clutch side transmission case that's held in place by the two screw clips? If so, what sort of noise is it making to tell you it's going out to lunch? Grease I've used is just normal lithium based high melting point stuff. The stuff you'd use in wheel bearings and the like. It's fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not in the case cover its what the clutch drum is running on, the shaft that is turning the rear wheel. You can just roll the bike or spin the wheel on the center stand and hear it roar. Its a slime needle bearing that comes from Suzuki with no lube in it. I packed the replacement with a good grease but 5k later its still shot.
It's crazy to have to replace a bearing more often then a tire.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I believe he is referring to the roller (needle) bearing at the inboard side of the driven pulley assembly. The grease used by Suzuki is just cheap lithium soap based crap of not of a particularly high grade, and it hardens up in a year or two. It was all hardened up on my'03 when I got it 2-1/2 years ago. Not being impressed with its quality in the new bearing I flushed it all out with mineral spirits and loosely repacked the cage with Green Grease--do not use too much as it will just fling out anyway.

Every 3500 miles or so I pull the driven pulley/clutch assembly, wipe it out and add a bit more--no problems in 15k miles...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Thanks guys, that's clear now. Breeze, is there something else that may be causing the failures other than the grease. We don't seem to get that failure over here in the Uk. It seems unlikely I would have thought that you'd get two go so soon. Is torquing being applied correctly to the clutch bell nut do you think or even the wheel nut the other side? Anyhoo...good luck with that. At least it should be an easy fix if I'm not mistaken if you are used to a bit of spannering.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quantum
I guess you guys are lucky and Im not :( the way this bearing works torquing should not come into the picture. I guess I can buy them by the dozen and get them cheaper and replace them every 5k. I wish I knew what was causing it myself. I take good care of my ride and it is always garaged and not ridden in the rain.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yep, I see i've just checked the manual and torque should probably not be a factor. It must be grease quality as Cliff is saying.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Leaving aside the grease issue one common failure mode for rolling element bearings arises from poor fitting practices. Using concussive force to fit will damage the track.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It's not normal at such a low mileage, and to do two it must have another fault,
the bearing only spins wile clutch is spinning once it locks up the bearing and everything
else on that shaft goes round at the same speed, I would have a real good look at the
tracks.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I though that bearing was only a problem on the 03-06 models. Looks like they did not improve it with the 07+ models either. I replaced the one on my 06 at about 20,000 miles and it looks like I will be replacing it again on my next belt change as it has started making noise again.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Ran mine for 46K+ on my 07 400 with no problem. I don't remember anyone else bring this up before, but than I am getting older. ;)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Just to be sure, you are installing it with what there is of a seal¹ on the "outside" of the driven pulley/clutch assembly?

---------------------------------------------
If I had a bigger lathe I would counter-bore the driven pulley hub a bit deeper and add another seal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cliff, yes i did just like the original one. When I replaced it the first time is was way quieter but not perfect as it should have been. I am going to do it again when I need my tire replaced which wont be long. I wil inspect everything closer.
Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
Usually anytime a needle bearing keeps going bad means that something is out of round and, while tightening, forces your new bearing out of round.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts