Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick heads up to 2004 650 owners. This may be an isolated incident but could be a production problem. It really makes me wonder what kind of quality control Suzuki has.

I was replacing my brake light bulb with an LED light. In order to do this you must remove the center back panel. Easy to do - just two of those black plastic push pins to remove on the bottom of the panel - push up on both sides to unhook the plastic catches and then pull out. Got the panel out and took a look at it. On the left hand side of the panel the two plastic 'hooks' had been broken off and glued back on! The glue job hadn't held very well as one of the hooks remained in the hole (glued there I think) I don't believe this is a dealer fault. Don't think the dealer has any body panel assembly to do for delivery. Took it over to my dealer, he took one look at it and ordered me a new one under warranty - $124. I can't understand why Suzuki would even bother with the gluing of this part. Wouldn't have been far easier to just put a new one on when the bike was being built??? Now makes me wonder if any other plastic parts have been glued back together!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I tend to believe that it was a dealer issue. The dealer definitely broke a tab off of one of my lower leg shields when performing service. I don't believe Suzuki would re-glue broken tabs on the assembly line. A dealer employee might though, to avoid reprimand or the cost of replacing the panel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fix for broken rear panel

I checked my center panel and found that one plastic hook was missing, 2 were partially broken, and one was intact. These hooks are not solid (they should be), so I filled the empty space in each of the three still-attached hooks with an epoxy type glue. The epoxy oozed in to fill the cracks in the two partially broken ones. That made them all a lot stronger. Then I manufactured a replacement hook out of a metal bolt about the size of a plastic hook. I glued that on with the epoxy to replace the missing hook lining it up to match the existing hooks. Works just great!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with my panel. I also used epoxy then embedded a heavy wire in the hollow space for added strength.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a follow-up - I recv'd the new panel two weeks ago and the color matches perfectly with the bike. I was a little concerned about that. It was very easy to install the new panel and I would find it difficult to break it while installing. It would, however, be very easy to break off the tabs when removing if you dont' do it the right way.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I would think that the dealer also thought it was actually their fault - or they wouldn't have replaced it. They are much more difficult to remove than to reinstall. Can anyone think of a reason the dealer during setup would have to remove/replace that panel? I removed mine to mount the backrest - and I didn't notice any missing tabs or anything.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe thats it! I had the dealer install the Suzuki backrest before I even took possession of the bike. If you have to remove that panel to put on the backrest then that may explain everything.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Took it over to my dealer, he took one look at it and ordered me a new one under warranty - $124.
No wonder they call these parts "Cry and Buy Plastic" You cry when you gotta' buy 'em. :p Good that your dealer did it under warranty!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yep, I'd bet that was it. Mine was a real bear to get off the first time. Knowing which way to pull makes it a lot easier. Next I'll be removing front panels to mount a signal minder and a second Fiam horn. Wish me luck!

Has anyone fit 2 Fiam highway blasters on a 650 or 400 yet? I replaced the stock horn with one - but it just doesn't have the same effect as having both the high and low tomes...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dual Horns - I installed a single note 'highway horn' under the front fairing. Was thinking that a single note does sound weird but not sure the horn wiring/fuse can handle two horns.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Burgman 650 plastic parts are quite durable.

I was hit at a stop light last Labor day (2004). I was hit towards the front in the side. I had a couple of pieces break, but was amazed it didn't do more damage. I had some JB weld and touch up paint on hand. The estimate was $3800. I spent nothing. Nobody can tell it was hit unless I point it out to them. The bad part was I had 150 miles on it when I was hit.
That is why the estimate was so high, because I insisted they make it like new again.

If the plastic broke I guarantee someone didn't know how to take it apart and did some heavyduty yanking!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts