Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of renewing my rear brake pads and thought that four before-and-after pix may be of interest to someone out there.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim said:
Yes, it is of interest :thumbup: And just how did you do it?
I haven't finished the job yet - it's too cold just now to lie around the back wheel! The hardest part was removing the two hanger pins, which were so tight that I had to use Mole grips on the allen-key as an extension - I don't think they have been touched since the bike was made. Full instructions for replacing the rear brake pads are on Le Dude's site so there's no point repeating it here. It's very straight forward - although if you are not sure about anything pm me.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim said:
I did a DIY for brakes in '08 Pictures: Rear Brake Pads and Lub. for '03 650 Standard, so that's not an issue for me.

I was curious, when you say "Renew" are you replacing, or reconditioning the pads ?

If they are reconditioned, you did an excellent job.
I am replacing the pads with Goldfren HH type made in the Czech Republic. PS: Your pictures re how to do the job are so good they should be a sticky!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Replaced the rear pads on K7 myself a few months back with some after market ones I bought in mainland China via taobao.com Cost me US$3 for the pair (bought the complete set for the front too at the time for about US$6). What I only realised when I went ahead to swap out the rear pads which were down to the metal, was that the after market rear pad set didn't have the small metal "nipple" on the rear side of the pad. This is essential for use of the parking brake. But not having any choice fitted them anyway, as the work for the purposes of braking, just not for park brake engagement. As it is I have been trying to get OEM or appropriate pads (with the nipple) without any success. Seems to me the pads must also fit other make/models of motorcycle out there, as all online sellers of these pads sell them same ones (without the nipple). Have retained the used pads and will have them refurbished at some point some-place (likely to be NZ on my next trip back).

I also had a hell of a time trying to remove the two locating pins using Allen keys which required the use of closed spanner/bar for leverage.

And may I add FWIW, that this is a shame, as a nipple man myself. YMMV LoL!
:twisted:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Yup looks like the one is worn down past the groove. How many miles did you have on them?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MJR said:
Yup looks like the one is worn down past the groove. How many miles did you have on them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts