Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a very new owner of a 2013, just starting break-in. I never rode any scooter before, just lots of motorcycles. One of the many odd things I notice is my rear brake feels stronger than my front, meaning I feel more braking force for a given pull force on the lever.

Is that normal? I might just still be unbalanced (I'm still reaching for a rear brake with my right foot, lol) but after I noticed it I paid more attention and I'm certain my left lever slows the bike more, with less, effort, than the right lever.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I know its a new bike - but i wonder if the front bake needs bleeding ? - Perhaps take it back to the dealer and ask them to rebleed the brake ? What your experiencing is not my experience on my 650 or 400 - but riding a MC is all about "feel"

But i will say i find as an ex cyclist before i rode a MC - the two brake handles are intuitive, my biggest issue on my FJR is remembering to use the Back brake foot pedal as much as i should ! :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff, that's a good thought. The front brake lever doesn't feel spongy but it is worth a try if it continues to bother me. I've got a Mity-Vac in the garage somewhere.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I'm a very new owner of a 2013, just starting break-in. I never rode any scooter before, just lots of motorcycles. One of the many odd things I notice is my rear brake feels stronger than my front, meaning I feel more braking force for a given pull force on the lever.

Is that normal? I might just still be unbalanced (I'm still reaching for a rear brake with my right foot, lol) but after I noticed it I paid more attention and I'm certain my left lever slows the bike more, with less, effort, than the right lever.
Not different from brakes on past motorcycle you have, pressure to operate front and rear lever should be same, front brake supply 70% of brake power rear 30%.

Something wrong with front brake system on your 2013, have dealer check this as air get in somehow.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It is the nature of the beast that the rear brakes are much stronger than 'normal' Bikes.
I believe it must be down to more weight being over the rear wheel???
But yes, you will find that the rear brakes are more usable than a Standard motorcycle.
Nothing wrong! :D

Andy

·
Premium Member
110 Posts

Welcome-welcome.
Make sure your parking brake is fully released.
Also, make sure it is adjusted correctly at the rear wheel.
Front brake should be stronger.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Hi Penforhire,
I also have a 2013 650 and sense the same "feel" regarding brakes. My only theory is that they use the same size "piston" to push the brake fluid in both with the difference being two discs in front splitting the force. Some of the pressure is being absorbed in order to operate the second caliper. Also with two flex hoses maybe some loss there as well.

Ed

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Some of it is proving to be break-in, some is probably first-time left-hand-brake sensitivity (I also grabbed a big fistful of clutch... err, rear brake during an enthusiastic attempt to upshift with a phantom pedal, lol).

Now I'm starting to feel a pulse (in the lever) and hear a matching squeal in the rear brake. I'll give it a few hundred more miles of break-in before I panic about that. Has to be way too soon for a warped rotor.

Oh, and the parking brake is for-sure released. Could be sticky but the lift handle feels fine.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Now I'm starting to feel a pulse (in the lever) and hear a matching squeal in the rear brake. I'll give it a few hundred more miles of break-in before I panic about that. Has to be way too soon for a warped rotor.
A pulse in the rear brake? You need to take a look at the rear brake and make sure you haven't lost a bolt back there. If you bought that bike as a new bike at a dealership, you need to take the bike back now. Let them go over it again. They may have missed doing the initial inspection/assembly/bolt torque check on the bike. Bet they charged for it though.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing I can see missing back there. And not ABS. I squeezed the handle hard and could feel exactly when the ABS kicked on. Also tried three hard stops in a row to "bed" the pads, just in case I glazed them. I did not notice any difference.

I talked to my dealer and if it is still squeaking and pulsing in another couple hundred miles I'll take it in for a look-see. The pulsing was noticeably reduced today.

I do like the braking power of this machine (and most everything else as well). It is more than satisfactory. I need to remove my backrest so I can straighten my arms more easily during heavy braking. And keep my feet more forward (I had one butt-sliding-forward event).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts