Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine does the same. I know the brake calliper has to move but mine rattles. The calliper is new, tightening the brake lock adjuster has helped a bit.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Are you sure the sound is coming from the brake. That sounds a bit like the sound the clutch idler shaft bearing makes when it goes bad. Does the sound go away if you start the bike and rev it enough to get the clutch to engage. If so then it probably is that bearing.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Buffalo is right!
Replace the $20 bearing before it completely comes apart!!! Yours sounds worse than mine did.
It is a very common problem that all of our older scooters have.
Bar None!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Buffalo,

Great, thank you. Item #11.

#29 is the bearing mounted in the aluminum CVT cover? If so, I that that bearing was prone to make noise too?

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I've don't remember reading any post on here of people having problems with that item #29 bearing but there have been lots of post of problems with the item #11 bearing. That doesn't mean people have not had problems with it, just that I don't remember any mention of them on this forum.

I had to replace the #11 bearing at a little over 22,000 miles and the replacement is starting to make noise now. I'll probably replace it again when I put the next belt in. So far at almost 42,000 miles I've had no issues with the #29 bearing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Buffalo,

Thanks for all your info! My mileage is quickly approaching 20,000 miles so #11 bearing will be ordered and replaced over the winter, if it will wait : )

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
The good news is that the bearing is only turning when the clutch is disengaged. That means you can ride it a long way even after it starts making noise. The problem that can arise is that if it completely fails then when you come to a stop the clutch shaft will keep trying to turn the CVT. It would be like having a direct drive with no clutch. So with the rear wheel stopped the CVT and thus the engine cannot turn and the engine will die. As long as you kept moving you would be OK you just couldn't stop.

Getting the engine restarted would be problematic. I guess you could start it on the centerstand where the rear wheel can spin then push it off to get moving. That would probably be a scary maneuver though and could easily end up badly so I would not want to try it and would not recommend that you do either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts