Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I recently purchased a 2004 650 with low miles (2,033).
She was very sluggish, and would only hit 62 mph at WOT.
I changed the crankcase/transmission/and final drive fluids, and took
her out yesterday to see if anything had improved: I made a few passes
up and down my road, maybe 3 miles at the most... Still very unresponsive and sluggish.
Upon returning to my shop, I put her back inside. I happened to glance down at the exhaust pipe tip, and it was glowing cherry red! I rolled her back outside. The muffler end cover cap actually caught on fire, and the heat shield became distorted also. I hosed down the muffler to prevent further damage. Any ideas on what could be causing the poor performance, and extreme muffler temp? Le Dude has been kind enough to pass on some words of wisdom, and I appreciate his feedback. I also checked and cleaned the air filter. Could the muffler temp and poor performance be caused by a blockage? I will remove and inspect the muffler and exhaust system if that is required. I have really enjoyed reading the posts and info on this site... Any and all help would be greatly appreciated...

Peace

·
Registered
110 Posts
sounds like the muffler is plugged. I would start it and feel how much flow is coming out of the exhaust, have someone rev it up a couple of time and feel the exhaust coming out of the muffler. It should be a good push of air. Hard to imagine the muffler catching on fire. Maybe dumping way to much fuel, not burning it all in the combustion chamber and burning in the muffler? :confused:

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
Maybe some diesel got mixed in with the gas. Diesel will burn very hot. It burns slow and will make it past the valves and continue to burn in the pipes and muffler. I would drain out most of the gas and replace with fresh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave J, I drained the tank and replaced it with fresh fuel last week.
Thanks for the feedback...
I really hope I can get things straightened out in the near future.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Had another thought, have you checked the coolant level? It will overheat pretty quick with no coolant. Did you ride it before you did your fluid changes, and everything was fine or was this the first ride since the purchase?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would try pulling the muffler off and take it for a short test ride. I'm guessing here but mice could have made a home in that muffler.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Steve - the mud dauber is probably what you're thinking of. They look vicious - and can deliver a nasty sting but aren't aggressive - the yellow jacket is the one to watch out for. Yellow jackets are probably more inclined to make a nest in a muffler.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Does the oil smell strongly of gas? If so...pull the plugs, I'd bet they are BLACK from running rich. If so...stuck injector, maybe?

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
Other things to check are a weak or failing coil and valve clearance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I truly appreciate all the possible causes to my problem.
Your feedback and comments will be investigated...
Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I want to know the final verdict on this problem!

Nothing to add as far as another thing to look for. I think the mice in the muffler would be most likely as their bedding could catch fire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on problems with my Burgman.

Hi again,

Just wanted to say that my machine is running just fine! Not sure if i had an injector or a spark plug issue. I changed both plugs, and also dropped the muffler to check for any obstructions. I also gently tapped on the left injector with a long handled screwdriver. I truly appreciate all the advice and suggestions from forum members! I am really amazed at how smooth and powerful the Burgman 650 is! Thank you! :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like it's running very lean. The exhaust temp will get way too hot. It will also melt the pistons and engine. Don't run it very long again until you can verfy the exhaust temp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts