Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 400 yesterday! Never owned any scooter/cycle before. Fell in love with the looks of the 400. My wife thought I was nuts and going through a Mid life episode but now she loves the looks and idea of some day riding in the back.

Helmet, padded jacket, gloves, leather boots all set to go with the purchase. I have to take the safety course through our local Harley dealer in another two weeks and I can't wait to get out there and take some long rides. As it is, I am now just itching to go but I will wait until the State of Michigan sees me as legal to ride :?

I purchased through the many reviews online and after many stops to our local Suzuki dealer. One thing I realized was that the guys at the shop, although very friendly, didn't know very much about scooters at all even though they sell all lines of Honda, Suzuki, and various other used ones. I thought that was kind of silly.

Also, I have already received some "smack talk" from a few friends who have cruisers. They think my purchase was, shall we say, weak compared to their machines. I'll put up with it and can't wait to ride with them in another few weeks to show off what the Burgy can do.

(Question: I have read that the left brake handles both front and rear brakes and the right handles the front only. The manual does not say this...which is correct?)

Well, I'll be checking in as often as I can and am happy to join others with the same passion 8)

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Welcome...yer gonna love that 400. :) Where are you in Michigan?? There are several other Michigan riders on this forum. Lower P & Upper P too. 8)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums mrm7592 . Glad to have you join us. Congratulations on the new Burgman 400.

No matter what your cruiser friends think, the 400 is a great ride. They'll be surprised at how useful the scooter is compared to their bikes. Ask'em when was the last time they went grocery shopping on their cruisers? ;)

If you'll look at the front brake on the 400, you'll find 2 sets of lines running to it. The left brake lever operates both the front and rear brakes but does not provide full power to the front brake. You should use both brake levers each time you stop.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase. What color Burgman did you get?

You'll love it. I've had my 400 for a month now, and love it more every time I ride it. Just got back from a 300 mile ride, and the Silver Steed performed awesome.

Good luck with your course.

What part of Michigan are you from?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum as well as the 2 wheeled world. Glad to hear that your waiting to take the course before venturing out on your own.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My home town

Duster said:
Welcome...yer gonna love that 400. :) Where are you in Michigan?? There are several other Michigan riders on this forum. Lower P & Upper P too. 8)
I am currently living in Ann Arbor, MI. We've been here for 7 years.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rear view mirrors on your 650!

allwalk said:
Greetings and welcome to the forum as well as the 2 wheeled world. Glad to hear that your waiting to take the course before venturing out on your own.
I just saw your pictures of your 650. Now THAT is what rear view mirrors should be. I love the paint job but I can definitely see upgrading (if possible) to those mirrors some day. Are they stock on the 650? Is it possible to get them on a 400?

·
Registered
239 Posts
mrm7592 said:
I just bought a 400 yesterday! Never owned any scooter/cycle before. Fell in love with the looks of the 400. My wife thought I was nuts and going through a Mid life episode but now she loves the looks and idea of some day riding in the back.

Helmet, padded jacket, gloves, leather boots all set to go with the purchase. I have to take the safety course through our local Harley dealer in another two weeks and I can't wait to get out there and take some long rides. As it is, I am now just itching to go but I will wait until the State of Michigan sees me as legal to ride :?

I purchased through the many reviews online and after many stops to our local Suzuki dealer. One thing I realized was that the guys at the shop, although very friendly, didn't know very much about scooters at all even though they sell all lines of Honda, Suzuki, and various other used ones. I thought that was kind of silly.

Also, I have already received some "smack talk" from a few friends who have cruisers. They think my purchase was, shall we say, weak compared to their machines. I'll put up with it and can't wait to ride with them in another few weeks to show off what the Burgy can do.
Well you beat my by a Day }:~D...I just got a 400 as well though mines an '03...

I'll agree that a lot of Dealers don't want anything to do with the Burgmans...I think its the "Scooter" classification...though its a mid size Motorcycle with an Automatic Trans and Sensible Shaped Fairings to keep you Clean...

As for your buddies on the big bikes...my brother has a Harley but even he agreed that I should get something like the Burgman to see if I like it (motorcycling) cause I can always go buy a bigger one if I want...though I think the Burgman will be like Baby Bears Porridge and Bed...Just Right!!!

~ Roland

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats on your new Burgman 400

I have owned my Burgman since Sept. 03'. It has been an absolute pleasure to ride and much more comfortable than the big 1400cc bikes I've owned in the past.

However, I am already contemplating trading my 400 for the 650. If you do not plan on riding two-up, then your choice of the 400 should be just fine. I often take my two daughters for rides and with the added weight, the 400 does labor quite abit and the suspension is pretty much on the frame.

Lastly, as an experienced rider myself, I think the added punch of the 650 will give me the performance I'm looking for.

Other than that, the Burgman's are really a great value in performance and utility for the cost of the machine.

TS

Canton, OH

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just got back from Detroit and the All-star game. My wife and I saw hundreds of motorcycles while there and quite a few Burgman/Majestys. Hard to tell exactly which scooter brand it was when you are in a shuttle bus, but I was very surprised by the large number of motorbikes/scooters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts