Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since they're cheap, I decided to try a set. Big disappointment! After 100 miles they're coming off! The rear is out of round. They also flat spot when parked - like old nylon bias ply tires of the 1950's. That parking flat spot doesn't go away until about 10 miles of very uncomfortable riding. Also, the handling is just a bit odd compared to radials.

Off to the dealer to mount a set of OEM Bridgstones. Not great mileage, but nothing weird in my experience.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
paulcbrowne said:
Since they're cheap, I decided to try a set. Big disappointment! After 100 miles they're coming off! The rear is out of round. They also flat spot when parked - like old nylon bias ply tires of the 1950's. That parking flat spot doesn't go away until about 10 miles of very uncomfortable riding. Also, the handling is just a bit odd compared to radials.

Off to the dealer to mount a set of OEM Bridgstones. Not great mileage, but nothing weird in my experience.
Good chance that's because they are nylon bias ply tires. Shinko makes some decent bike tires but their scooter tires are crap with "cheap" being the only thing going for them.

Unfortunately an inescapable truth in life is that "If you buy the cheapest there is, there is a very good possibility you will get the cheapest there is." I have been saying that for over 40 years, and there are rare exceptions that prove the rule, however it still bites me every now and then...

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thats strange...1200 miles on my shinkos and i have not experienced any issues with them
whatsoever. I think Ledude has had the same experience i have. The ride is also exceptional to
the OEM bridgestones, especially in wet weather.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Too bad, I have had good luck with them thus far and I was on my second set when my CVT failed.

It would be interesting to see if I experience the parked flat spot as you have reported once I get the scoot rolling again as it has sat for 3 months now.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
2100 miles on my Shinkos and nary a problem.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have only run Shinko's on my small 257 cc scooter. First tyre was replaced at 4000 miles, and it came apart. I already had purchased a second so I put it on and ran a higher PSI (40), it lasted 7450 miles and still had a little left, but it was riding poorly, and Fall weather is here. I put on a Mich Pure Sport SC dual compound, seems to work good after a couple hundred miles.

My opinion, Shinko are Ok maybe inconsistent quality, but my hide is worth the $30.00 for a better brand tyre.

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
YGWYPF. Or You Get What You Pay For. Try Pirelli Diablos. I love 'em after three sets of Bridgestones. and they wear well.

paulcbrowne said:

·
Registered
842 Posts
QuantumRift said:
YGWYPF. Or You Get What You Pay For. Try Pirelli Diablos. I love 'em after three sets of Bridgestones. and they wear well.

paulcbrowne said:

I put pirelli Diablos on my AN400 and hated them. They slid allover the place in wet weather
and lasted 1000miles less than the OEM bridgestones. Here in Florida they simply are not a good tire on our roads.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Results with any given tire will vary from individual to individual. My experience with the Shinko on my 400 was not good so I have been reluctant to try them on the 650. My experience with the Perrilli Diablo on the 650 was that it handled well but wore out fast.

·
Administrator
18,388 Posts
I have not tried Shinko's but I do run a Bias ply with excellent results. No THUMP THUMP of the old bias's of the PRE-80's. Like said, each person and tire will have different outcomes. Paul, send them to me. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I won't be trying another one either.
The pictures are of the front tire removed from my 09.
Sorry I can't find the milage but you should be able to see that there is still tread left.[attachment=4:3f673u4d]Shinko 1.jpg[/attachment:3f673u4d][attachment=3:3f673u4d]Shinko 2.jpg[/attachment:3f673u4d][attachment=2:3f673u4d]Shinko 3.jpg[/attachment:3f673u4d][attachment=1:3f673u4d]Shinko 4.jpg[/attachment:3f673u4d][attachment=0:3f673u4d]Shinko 5.jpg[/attachment:3f673u4d]

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Indeed.

I noticed that area where the seperation occurs also seems to be the site of some cupping. My rear tyre on my 250 did a similar thing when I ran about 35psi (within the bikes specs) I ran a subsequent tyre at 40 psi and it lasted 7,450 miles. These tyres are very sensitive to pressure, thus heat.

I wish Michellen hadn't discontinuted the Sport Pilot series for my little scooter. I don't like their new SC tyre that I just put on last week. As noted in other threads it tends to track road imperfections.

Be safe.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Don't know what to tell you. I have a 650. I have ridden the Pirellis in the most torrential downpours in AZ monsoon season. And you must remember that in AZ, we could literally go weeks and months without rain in a particular area. So the roads soak up an enormous amount OIL. Not just a bit, but a LOT and when we get our first rains after months of dry weather all that oil comes out. And I never ever HAD a problem with MY Pirelli tires. Plus we get pretty brutal heat as well in the summers. 100, 110, 115.....
Then after monsoon season ends, it's week of dry weather, until we get another rain, and yet I never slid anywhere. So it is what it is.

paulcbrowne said:

[/quote]
I put pirelli Diablos on my AN400 and hated them. They slid allover the place in wet weather
and lasted 1000miles less than the OEM bridgestones. Here in Florida they simply are not a good tire on our roads.[/quote]

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
dhobin said:
I won't be trying another one either.
The pictures are of the front tire removed from my 09.
Sorry I can't find the milage but you should be able to see that there is still tread left.
Yah they had air bubbles and the thread was separating in a few places. :(

·
Registered
643 Posts
I tried Shinkos as my first set do replacement tires, they were ok. The only problem with them was in cornering. I like to ride hard in the corners :roll: cost per mile was lower than bridgestone but life was also. This time I am using Michelins, they just beg to be pushed harder into corners :cheers: I will have to wait and see what the cost per mile will be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts