Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, and doing research for a future scooter. What I'm wondering is for a fa...I mean big guy, :rolleyes:, how is the 400 with some gear loaded on it? I am 265 lbs. so I would like to hear from those 250 plus. I'd be using it for longer trips with a full top case and maybe a bag strapped on plus what's in the under seat storage. I'm talking quite a bit of freeway, as I live in Southern California and it's necessary, and a lot of 100 mile freeway trips to San Diego.

Will the 400 be okay, or should I go for the 650? I have been riding all my life, so I don't want the smaler scoot because I'm a beginner, more for the gas mileage. That said, with my big butt in the seat and loaded for bear, the mileage might be a wash?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
First off, I love the 400 and highly recommend it to anyone. It's a great general purpose bike. Small enough to be fun and maneuverable, large enough to be practical and useful. It's my favorite bike ever.

Be that as it may, it is smaller engined and is affected by, ahem... Load. My fly-weight friend gets a full 7 mpg better than heavy-weight me. But im still getting 60 mpg. And I'm sure performance is affected as well, given my two-up experience. But the bike handles it in stride. You might have to deglaze the clutch every 5k miles, like me, but it's not a big deal.

So the bike will work for you, but don't expect it to be a rocket ship. It will gladly get you to 85+ mph and keep you there all day long in comfort, 100 mile trips won't be a problem at all. And you'll probably like the size; seating is the same as the 650, but lower. You're in CA, the 400 is a great commuter and lane-splitter.

All that said, given your life long riding skills, I can't help but think the 650 might be a better fit. The power difference is very noticible and its definitely the way to go if youre gonna be touring or riding two up.

Good luck. Come check out my scooter group when you get one.
http://www.meetup.com/LAScooterGroup/

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the 400 and love it. I like the handling and feel of the smaller, but adequate, bike. But if I were going to be doing a lot of freeway riding, especially with the weight, I would consider the 650. The 400 will do 85 with no trouble, but with little real power to spare if needed. And with LA traffic, the extra power would be nice to have on occasion. The 400 is a great all around bike, but the 650 is a freeway monster.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I too considered the 400 as well as other makes of scooters in that size range. But alas, I too am afflicted with a few too many cells in my body and so the 650 just made more since to me so that is what I went with.

Now my Burgman is not my primary ride for longer distance as I have a Goldwing for that. But if I wanted to take a cross country trip on mine I would not give it a second thought. I would stay on the back roads as much as possible, but hey- that is what I do with my Goldwing anyway!

Get the 650. You will love that extra giddyup go that you get from the larger bike as well as comfort. And as I get older comfort is number one for me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
New to the forum, and doing research for a future scooter. What I'm wondering is for a fa...I mean big guy, :rolleyes:, how is the 400 with some gear loaded on it? I am 265 lbs. so I would like to hear from those 250 plus. I'd be using it for longer trips with a full top case and maybe a bag strapped on plus what's in the under seat storage. I'm talking quite a bit of freeway, as I live in Southern California and it's necessary, and a lot of 100 mile freeway trips to San Diego.

Will the 400 be okay, or should I go for the 650? I have been riding all my life, so I don't want the smaler scoot because I'm a beginner, more for the gas mileage. That said, with my big butt in the seat and loaded for bear, the mileage might be a wash?

Thanks in advance!
I'm 266lb...everything the guys have said is dead right.

In the end....it really will be 'up to you'

Good luck :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
At only 175# my 400 is adequate for shorter interstate hops but is a physical strain on longer rides, especially on a windy day. I think the 650 would be a much wiser choice.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
New to the forum, and doing research for a future scooter. What I'm wondering is for a fa...I mean big guy, :rolleyes:, how is the 400 with some gear loaded on it? I am 265 lbs. so I would like to hear from those 250 plus....Will the 400 be okay, or should I go for the 650? I have been riding all my life, so I don't want the smaler scoot because I'm a beginner, more for the gas mileage. That said, with my big butt in the seat and loaded for bear, the mileage might be a wash?
I'm about 270 pounds. I took a Honda Reflex 250 loaded with gear on a 15,000 mile road trip from Alaska to Mexico, Key West, Quebec and back to Alaska - including I-5 through LA. I think you'll be fine on a 400 anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am 6' 3" and around 300 pounds. I looked real hard at a 400 but my legs seemed a little long for the bike. I have a 650. The nice thing is that it fits me (I don't look like a giant on a little bike). It did, however take a little time to get use to the near 1000 pounds with me and the Burgman.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
At only 175# my 400 is adequate for shorter interstate hops but is a physical strain on longer rides, especially on a windy day. I think the 650 would be a much wiser choice.
Oh I disagree. I've had many a 350+ mile days on the 400. Lots of people have done multi state and country tours On the little burg. It's quite good at highway speeds. It may seem strained, I guess, but the bike is built to spin quite fast with its short stroked engine. 46k original miles on mine and counting so far. She runs like a champ even after eight years of my abuse. Lol

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs. The 400 does everything I want it to do even with freeway riding. With your experience though you might want to go to the 650, I don't think the mpg is going to make much difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off, I love the 400 and highly recommend it to anyone. It's a great general purpose bike. Small enough to be fun and maneuverable, large enough to be practical and useful. It's my favorite bike ever.

Be that as it may, it is smaller engined and is affected by, ahem... Load. My fly-weight friend gets a full 7 mpg better than heavy-weight me. But im still getting 60 mpg. And I'm sure performance is affected as well, given my two-up experience. But the bike handles it in stride. You might have to deglaze the clutch every 5k miles, like me, but it's not a big deal.

So the bike will work for you, but don't expect it to be a rocket ship. It will gladly get you to 85+ mph and keep you there all day long in comfort, 100 mile trips won't be a problem at all. And you'll probably like the size; seating is the same as the 650, but lower. You're in CA, the 400 is a great commuter and lane-splitter.

All that said, given your life long riding skills, I can't help but think the 650 might be a better fit. The power difference is very noticible and its definitely the way to go if youre gonna be touring or riding two up.

Good luck. Come check out my scooter group when you get one.
http://www.meetup.com/LAScooterGroup/
This sounds about right. I have the Kymco People s200 for around town, which is perfect. It gets my fa...big frame up to almost 60, which is fine for around Long Beach and cruising PCH either way.

I'm looking to eventually trade in the Bonneville because I think, in fact I'm sure, the Burg will be a better match for me with my riding style (slowing down these days, enjoying the long trips at quasi-legal speeds more, but do like to ton it up now and again...). The Burg will hold more for trips and, now that I'm approaching my mid 50's, will be much more comfy. The 650, I think, may just be the ticket with balancing freeway ability, long term comfort, ease of use and a little grunt for a smile now and again.

Does your meetup group include the little scooters like my People?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
hippiebrian Have you sat your fa...I mean big body on a 400 and a 650? You don't say how long your legs are or how wide your ahh shall I say derriere is. I road a 400 for a couple years and I was just to long in the leg department. I ended up finding out the 600 Silverwing fit me the best out of all the scooters I tried. I not going to try to sell you on or tell you all about the Silverwing on the Burgman forum. What I am saying is you really should try out as many different scooters you can ride or at least sit on to see what "fits" you best. Anything 400 or bigger will work for freeway riding and will do that all day if needed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am 270 and it does fine for me, but honestly man my wife is another 150 plus our luggage and we do two up trips and use the freeway at times and even then it does 70, 75 just fine with more left. These are just my experiences with the bike, been nothing but happy with mine.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
OP for your size and background and use, you'll really enjoy the 650.

You MIGHT be okay with the 400.....but if you can afford it, the 650 is simply a wonderful machine.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm a 6'2" lightweight at 180lbs but I ride two up on my 400 a lot so I easily exceed your riding weight hippie. I cover a 400 mile run two up quite often on motorways at 70mph+ with luggage. There is plenty of power. I find it more comfortable than the 650 Burgman with just a tad more leg room on the 400. Until recently I've been riding our works 650 Burgmans on intercontinental trips (not for holidays but work trips), sometime solo and sometimes with a passenger. There is no doubt the extra power can be nice but in my mind is not much better than the 400 in many ways on such a trip. It's more expensive on purchase cost, fuel and maintenance by quite some way if you do it properly compared to the 400. And there is nothing that is going to go bang on a 400 over a long term ownership period. It's solid and can take a huge amount of abuse. It's also a diy'ers dream with everything being very very easy to do yourself. But try one out then try the 650. Both are good but my preference is definitely for the 400, don't under estimate it....and all this said by someone who used to run a GSX1400 and Vstrom 1000 and who is now very happy I made the upgrade to a Burgman 400.

ps. there is little difference in the physical size between the 400 and 650. You will look just the same on either, both are big bikes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree, especially if you ride solo. And if necessary you could always regear w/ sliders. The 400 is the better machine for most people.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm a 6'2" lightweight at 180lbs but I ride two up on my 400 a lot so I easily exceed your riding weight hippie. I cover a 400 mile run two up quite often on motorways at 70mph+ with luggage. There is plenty of power. I find it more comfortable than the 650 Burgman with just a tad more leg room on the 400. Until recently I've been riding our works 650 Burgmans on intercontinental trips (not for holidays but work trips), sometime solo and sometimes with a passenger. There is no doubt the extra power can be nice but in my mind is not much better than the 400 in many ways on such a trip. It's more expensive on purchase cost, fuel and maintenance by quite some way if you do it properly compared to the 400. And there is nothing that is going to go bang on a 400 over a long term ownership period. It's solid and can take a huge amount of abuse. It's also a diy'ers dream with everything being very very easy to do yourself. But try one out then try the 650. Both are good but my preference is definitely for the 400, don't under estimate it....and all this said by someone who used to run a GSX1400 and Vstrom 1000 and who is now very happy I made the upgrade to a Burgman 400.

ps. there is little difference in the physical size between the 400 and 650. You will look just the same on either, both are big bikes.
I'm 250 and ride two up with my wife all the time. Freeway, side roads, whatever and wherever. I agree with all of the above! I was really surprised how close in physical size the bikes are to each other. So for looks department, that's a wash. I thought I really wanted to upgrade to a 650 one day but after taking a 650 out for a 20 minute ride I'm not so sure. I was happy to get back on my 400 after the test ride. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike. The extra power would come in handy for two up riding, and high speed freeway passing. But overall, I wasn't as blown away as I though I would be. Not to say I won't test ride another 650 or buy one some day, my mind may change. I'm just saying the difference is not as huge as i thought it would be. It may be that I was just used to my 400, but I felt the 400 handled better than the 650 also. Maybe due to a lower COG.

I never understood why people have one of each, but now I can easily see myself owning both in the future.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Plenty of people ride 2-up on a 400.

I'm about the OP's size (~240lbs), and my B400 has no problem.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Does your meetup group include the little scooters like my People?
Yes, most of our ride are for 125cc+, but we occationally have 50cc rides and just recently had our first 250+ ride. Lots of fun to be had there. Yesterday we had over 50 riders. Yikes!

If you get a 400 or 650 there is a MC group I can recommend as well.

Also, don't write off the 400 just yet. As others have recommended, definitely at least try them both. I personally prefer the 400, but I'm probably in the minority in the states. One thing that irks me on the 650 is the tire mileage, I get about 4500 miles on a rear tire, and 8k on the front. Others report better, but I've yet to attain any better. Given you're a little bigger than I am, I doubt youd fair much better.

The 400 I get 12k out of both, but it's prone to more transmission work. So Six of this, half dozen of the other I suppose.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I averaged 58-63 MPG on the 400 highway and 48-55 MPG on the 650 burgman. I agree the 400 can do the job. It''s comes down to what fits you best and what you're more comfortable with. The 400 is cheaper to maintain overall about 50% less than a 650. I have owned both and put on over 25k miles on each. I prefer the 650 for freeway and longer trips, but the 400 can do it comfortably too. Both bikes have their merits my rule of thumb was 400 within a metro area and 650 between metro areas. In So Cal, I think the 650 burgman or a Silverwing would do the job well. The Silverwing is about the same size as the Burgman 400, but with a twin 583 motor. Same tires and approx wheelbase. Good luck. You will learn to love whichever bike you buy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts