Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We hear this and that about this glove and those heated clothes , and all of those things by themselves will fail in a very short amount of time . Very simply put , if you want to travel in cold weather spending a day in the saddle you need all of it . I think this video with these seasoned travelers pretty much says it all . Not only are they wearing mountaineering suits , they have heated gear underneath . Now I'm not talking about a half hour ride to work at 30 degrees , I'm talking colder and longer . Watch the video . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGFKLcpN31k

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is part of the trip of the above , all the way to the ocean . It doesn't get any colder than this .

http://youtu.be/Cfv-_CWDRAU

or

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It also looks like they are using snowmobile helmets as both have heated visors. I am not aware of any helmet company that offers heated visors for street helmets.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
753 Posts
We hear this and that about this glove and those heated clothes , and all of those things by themselves will fail in a very short amount of time .
I cant help but wonder what you mean by "fail". Fail to keep you warm? Fail to work? I have been using the same Gerbing heated inner jacket for 14 years now and it still works superbly. I have ridden my 4X4 ATV in sub zero weather here in Idaho (along with insulated coveralls) and was warm and toasty all day. And never a motorcycle ride where I needed more heat than that jacket put out. Indeed, in all of the years that I have had it never have I turned it up more than halfway as it will get too warm.

Don't know about the rest of you, but give me heated gear any day. As long as the roads are dry it will not be too cold to ride.

I will admit that I have not tried 30 below zero riding. Pretty sure that is something that I will never do.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant help but wonder what you mean by "fail". Fail to keep you warm? Fail to work? I have been using the same Gerbing heated inner jacket for 14 years now and it still works superbly. I have ridden my 4X4 ATV in sub zero weather here in Idaho (along with insulated coveralls) and was warm and toasty all day. And never a motorcycle ride where I needed more heat than that jacket put out. Indeed, in all of the years that I have had it never have I turned it up more than halfway as it will get too warm.

Don't know about the rest of you, but give me heated gear any day. As long as the roads are dry it will not be too cold to ride.

I will admit that I have not tried 30 below zero riding. Pretty sure that is something that I will never do.

I thought when I wrote this “Now I'm not talking about a half hour ride to work at 30 degrees , I'm talking colder and longer .” Also the video of a couple traveling in sub zero temps were a dead give away ? I was being fairly specific ??? :D

When you get down to very cold temperatures for a long enough period of time , even the heated gear will not by itself keep you warm . No doubt about it the heated gear is the best , and when I say heated gear I mean all of it gloves , socks , jacket and pant liners . From what I’ve read heated gloves without some thing like hippo Hands in 15 degree Fahrenheit weather , will lose it’s ability to keep your hands warm in about 30 minutes . Now there are many variables in this , one’s own tolerance to cold , temperatures , speed / wind chill , exposure time etc .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Even though heated clothes will keep you toasty you should also be prepared for the cold weather if you have a breakdown. It's hard for heated clothes to keep you warm with no power if you're stuck alongside the road.:(

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
It also looks like they are using snowmobile helmets as both have heated visors. I am not aware of any helmet company that offers heated visors for street helmets.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

GMax does for their 54s modular helmets. ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
GMax does for their 54s modular helmets. ;)
I've been running a 54S this winter with the addition of the breath deflector and I've been comfortable down into the upper 'teens (at least my head - my fingers about fell off).

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't mind cold if conditions are dry, but we've been having lots of rain/snow recently. Things should be better this weekend.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've snowmobiled all day long for 40 years with dozens of times being below zero. Never have I seen another rider with electric gear or "mountaineering" gear. It's not that difficult to stay warm, base, mid, and a Gortex top layer. I just have issues with my hands with no bar heaters on my scoot.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've snowmobiled all day long for 40 years with dozens of times being below zero. Never have I seen another rider with electric gear or "mountaineering" gear. It's not that difficult to stay warm, base, mid, and a Gortex top layer. I just have issues with my hands with no bar heaters on my scoot.
Mike , if it's just your hands heated gloves of some kind I think would work well for you . You can use your 12 volt system if you have the juice , or a rechargeable battery system glove . Also a good set of mittens with some Hot Hands packs in them would also work very well . I use the Hot Hands in my down filled mittens and my hands actually get hot .

Wal-Mart is I think the cheapest place to buy them , you can order a case on line and pick them up at the store with free shipping . They are out of stock most of the time so be patient , they are a HOT seller

pun intended :D

TheReaper!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Tourmaster heated pants and jacket liner, heated gloves and insoles. I wear first gear coveralls and ride 80 miles to work. This is an hour and half ride and people think I'm a nut, but I am toasty warm. Average temperature I guess would be about 35, the coldest I have ridden is 14. I'm sold on heated gear!!!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
When it drops below 36 degrees I stop riding and take the train or car to work. My first worry is the black ice and secondly I hate dressing like the Michelin man to keep warm it's just not worth it in my book.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You don't have to dress like the Michelin Man with heated gear. It depends on wires, not bulk, for warmth and it's the only layer you really need underneath your regular riding gear.

I think the heated gloves are the most important part of my winter riding kit. So long as my hands are warm, I'm pretty much ok.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Living in Northern Michigan, I can concur with this. Tens of thousands of snowmobilers have conquered the cold long ago. Road conditions, on the other hand, would be a problem.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts