Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the travel season fast approaching, it would be great if our Travel Stops map had a lot more stops offered. I envision one day having the Burgman community supportinig each other to the degree that one could travel about anywhere in the country for an overnight trip and having the option of an overnight stay at a Travel Stop offered by a fellow enthusiast. Check out the Travel Stops Map and consider adding your location. It could be a room or, just a back yard to throw up a tent with the possibility of a shower and maybe even a home-cooked meal and hospitality. If you can't figure out how to use it, PM me.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just wanted to revive this thread and, will do so from time to time to be sure newer members see it. Please, please, PLEASE, if you think the idea of fellow Burgman riders staying over at your home for a a night on their way cross-country or, a day or three while exploring your local rides, consider marking your location and entering some associated information to the Travel Stops map. If you have trouble figuring it out, contact me and I'd be glad to help.

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,683 Posts
With the travel season fast approaching, it would be great if our Travel Stops map had a lot more stops offered. I envision one day having the Burgman community supportinig each other to the degree that one could travel about anywhere in the country for an overnight trip and having the option of an overnight stay at a Travel Stop offered by a fellow enthusiast. Check out the Travel Stops Map and consider adding your location. It could be a room or, just a back yard to throw up a tent with the possibility of a shower and maybe even a home-cooked meal and hospitality. If you can't figure out how to use it, PM me.
Yeah, this is a very neat map for those that travel. I'd like to do some traveling now that I am retired and got time.
I'll give it a Bump.

·
2,683 Posts
Yeah, this is a very neat map for those that travel. I'd like to do some traveling now that I am retired and got time.
I'll give it a Bump. There ought to be a link to this out where people can find it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I tried to use it once, but I didn't have access necessary. It was a while ago, I don't remember what the problem was.

Anyway, if someone wants to stop in Pittsburgh, PA - I've got a good-sized garage to park in, a big yard to pitch a tent, and can offer kitchen and bathing space. Unfortunately, I don't have a guest room at the moment - but we're working on building a new one. Not sure how much longer that will take.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would but I'm too dumb to figure out how to post it.
Sorry, Mike. The map is not as intuitive as I'd like but, that's its limitation. Things changed a bit since I originally wrote the directions so, I just edited the directions a bit. Go to the the Travel Stops selection under the On the Road forum and click on the "sticky". Click where indicated on the original post and that will take you to the map. The beginning of the instructions are in the upper left and, you've got to hit the "more" to see them all. Post here again if still confused and I'll get with you on it. Thanks in advance for your addition.

·
2,683 Posts
Yeah, I just added myself onto the Travel Stops Map, I had to log into my Google Account to do it, no problem. I can't believe how NOT used it is! I am the FIRST ONE in Florida. There is NO ONE in Georgia, Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, South Carolina, North Carolina, California, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New York, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Main, Indiana, Michigan, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, & Wyoming.

This is SO SAD because the states that Do have participants in them have only ONE PARTICIPANT, like my state! This is much too sparse. Let's get on the ball and help each other out! Do you have a back yard? You can at lease say " If your passing through, you can throw up a tent up in the back yard. I've got an electric plug and water hose that you can use"? At least that way they won't be stranded, and they wont thirst to death. Tell them they can stay a week or whatever, then have to move on. They can go out and eat at McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Sub Way, Waffle House, or wherever. They can get ice and other stuff down at the grocery store. They can go up to the scooter shop if they need the bike fixed or worked on. You can give them directions to all this, or tell them to use Google Maps! You can tell them where the good motorcycle roads are, and how to get there. You don't have to let them in your house, use your bathroom, or sit at your table. Just layout what you got on the Travel Stops Map, and they can decide it they want to stop. They may only need a place to pitch a tent for the night. But they should contact or email you ahead of time to make arrangements, no surprise visits in the middle of the night or day! Don't put your address on the map just a general location, that way they have to contact before stopping by.
And if you come down my way, you can pitch a tent in my small back yard with an electric plug and a water hose that you can use, and if you need to do minor work on your bike. you can use my garage, if you're nice. Only room for one tent at a time.
I am going to place a link to the Travel Stops Maps in a messege that I post for new users. you should see it appearing soon.
Now, a Big Thanks to Scooter_Maniac!!!!

·
2,683 Posts
Here is my new standard welcome messege:

Welcome to BUSA from Tampa Bay Florida USA.
If you haven't already done so, please fill out your User profile in the Control Panel to tell us about your bike, location, etc.
Please add your location onto the Burgman Owners Map:
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1693807#

Also please add your location to the Burgman Travel Stops Map.
You may be able to help your fellow Burgman travelers:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1mnRJINEVd_odJGXkVXjNqqPJg9o&ll=42.277435802347796,-74.57433601542971&z=7

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Check out the Travel Stops Map and consider adding your location.
Problem is that it requires YET ANOTHER login to some place. Plenty of people (like me) would be happy to offer a travel stop - but are not going to create yet another login account somewhere (same reason why sites like Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc. are all all useless to us). Why not just create this travel stop list right here within the forum?

Anyway - if someone needs a stop in Pittsburgh, feel free to contact me :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey, all. This Travel Stops map is a great idea, if you are under 30 yrs old! This antique cannot figure the thing out. Much better to list it here; and avoid the Problems "AlaskaGuy" lists. I do not need another account with a Password, repeat Password, Solve the following equation in abstract political astrophysics to prove you are not a Russian Bot and on. Just make a 'space' here for it

And to that end, I join "AlaskaGuy" If you are up in Maine, I have a large house, a big yard, and an auto parts store nearby. Contact me via this Forum.

Lets all remember the ancient adage--KISS-- Keep it Simple, Stupid

·
Administrator
17,610 Posts
When the "Travel Stop" first started we were under different management. Motorcycle.com has changed a lot of things.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
At the time I started the map, the only way to know if someone was offering their place as a travel stop was if the had is mentioned in their signature. The idea, was to be able to visually see travel stop location and plan stops around what is seen. Going off a list of places, probably having to look up where many actually are, is a cumbersome way to go. I agree, that map isn't the easiest to use, but at the time was the way to go. If anyone knows of another way we could do something similar from within the forum, it would be great. I think for added simplicity and easier access, those who have entered their locations wouldn't mind doing it again. I think we would have a good more number of places noted if it were easier. I do see that a person can now go virtually coast to coast staying pretty much at offered travel stops! I invite ideas, expertise, suggestions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
travel accommodations

To have places to stop and in some cases someone to assist you with local explorations you can join the Goldwing Riders Association and have access to their directory of members that will provide accommodations, and other services. I used this method of planning overnight stops on a trip from coast to coast and it works well. Give it a try. The association is open to all types of bikes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
BMW Anonymous Book

I’m sure some of you are familiar with it, it is still likely around, but been awhile. Was part of the BMWMOA club. Broken down by state and largest nearby city, it has a series of letter-codes saying what you’ve got or are offering, i.e. truck to haul a broke down bike, tools to do repairs, an equipped shop/garage with offer to help repair, a place to pitch a tent/spare bedroom, etc..

So called, because you did not have to identify yourself by giving up info publicly, perhaps just an email without name, or phone number.

Not intended to be a source of lodging for traveling motorcyclists, (except in emergency) as it was/is felt that if you can afford to tour/travel, taking care of your accommodations is part of it. That’s what campgrounds, parks, and AirBnB is for, is the view.

I am going to look into that GoldWing Riders Club, sounds great. I am also going add myself here as a source for emergency help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts