Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to do some opinion-shopping, as I very much respect the collective body of wisdom brought together here.

In two weeks, I will be going on vacation. During this vacation, I will certainly take at least one long trip on my 400, minimum total round trip of 850 miles. I _may_ take several longer trips as well, for a grand total of up to 3000 miles. Currently I have 5600 trouble-free miles on my scoot. However...

What about the tires? Should I go ahead and re-tire now, while I've got time left for new tires to arrive? Or would it be a waste of money?

I don't recall exactly how the tires looked when brand new, nor did I measure the depth of the tread at that time. However, by guess and by golly, I figure that I have something resembling 50% tread left. I'm flat-spotting the center with my overly-cautious riding style, but not too terribly badly, I don't think. Otherwise, the rubber looks so good that I hate to replace it strictly as a preventative maintenance issue. The tires _definitely_ have got many more miles left in them.

But exactly _how_ many?

I've read here on the forum of tires lasting from about 6k to 10k miles, if memory serves. If I had confidence that mine would be certainly be good for 10k, as I _suspect_ they will be from what wear I see, I'd not even be considering replacing them. But how can I be sure, with replacements totally unavailable on the road without a long, ruinous wait?

I can afford new tires if I need them, but don't really have money to throw away, either. What would you guys do if you were in my situation?

Also, any comments on Pirellis vs. Bridgestones?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Order tires now so that you have them in the future when you need them. But keep on riding with what you have. As far as what brand to go for alot of people have given the Pirellis a try and really liked them. They are cheaper to purchase over the Bridgestones. I have Pirellis on mine right now but I will order a set of Bridgestone replacements soon.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
It depends on how flat the center of the rear tire is wearing. If you are getting to the point where you do not have much tread in the center, replace it before the trip. The rear may have a lot of tread on the sides but if the center does not have any thread, it needs to be replaced. The front should be fine unless it has started cupping.

3,000 miles plus 5,600 miles, that is getting close to even the high mileage reports. It would be a shame to ruin a vacation trip over the savings of a couple of thousand mile of tire wear.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
If your vacation is important to you I would swap tyres now - bugger the $ value!

You could always keep the old ones as spares for a year or two (dry and out of sunlight) to act as 'hot spares' should you get a puncture or something.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your advice; it was most sincerely appreciated. I'll wait to see how many $$$'s I've got left after returning home from a non-scooter trip this Monday, and see if I can't put together a re-tiring deal.

Muchos Gracias!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If you can't do it, I would have the dealer measure the tread depth on the tires. Then you will have some idea of what you have left. On the other hand it does not hurt to have a set in the garage, that can be shipped over night anywhere :)
-All it takes is money :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
new tires

my mechanic made me get a rear tire after 5000 miles. although it
had a few plugs in it. the front one is due now. i ordered new tires from
motorcyclesuperstore.com
the pirelli tires were about ten dollars less than bridgestone.
i bought them, front & rear was $105.00 including shipping.
anthony

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My final decision was to order some Pirellis from Arizona Motorsports, where I have done business before, for about $90. However, I'm pretty sure they're gonna arrive too late for my long trip. They apparently require time-consuming special-ordering just about anywhere you buy them. (Same for the Bridgestones.)

The good news is that I've got enough tread left that I'm really not all that concrned. And, it appears that Hurricane Dennis may well force me to take a cage anyway. So, nothing's lost.

I'd suggest at this point that 400 owners oughta maybe consider keeping a spare set of tires in stock. They don't exactly grow on trees, and won't come quickly when needed. I'd especially suggest that for overseas folks, though Europeans may have less tire-trouble then we do here in the USA due to having more Burgies on the road. If I were in Africa or Singapore or something, though, I'd _definitely_ stock spares!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I can't comment on brand, but I can say that I now have 8500 miles on my 400 and the rear tire still shows I'm quite a bit over the .080 tread depth. My suggestion would be to buy a tire tread gage and use it to see what depth of tread is left in the area where it's wearing the most. It needs to be replaced when it gets down to .080 inch or 2.0 mm Your riding hadbits and area surfaces may be differant than mine but from what your saying I would bet that your wear is simular to mine. I have been keeping a close eye on the wear and I feel that I will get at least 10,000 miles out of the rear tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts