Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Burgman 650 with the Bestem top case on the back. I love the case but all it does is rattle and shake. The mount is secure. My friend was riding behind me yesterday, and he said he was waiting for it to bounce off. I am about ready to bolt it directly to the mounting bracket as I never remove it anyhow, but before I do that I wanted to see if you all had any tricks to stop the rattling and bouncing...

Thanks!

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Fuel tank Automotive tire

· Premium Member
9,671 Posts
pour in some concrete, it will dampen vibrations about half full should do

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,879 Posts
I had that same case on my ST1100. It did shake a fair amount. When I put it on that bike I had been reading reports of other cases, GIVI and others, having a latch failure and falling off while going down the road. This is not what causes the shaking but I had just read of that happening in certain RARE situations. This case does fit the tabs into the front holders loosely and that is what causes the shaking. I added a knobbed bolt with a wing nut through the center of the case and through the plate. I drilled a hole just back of the dimple in the bottom of the case and through the plate for the bolt. I also drilled a small hole through the bolt just below where the wing nut ended up when tight and put a small R clip through to prevent the wing nut from backing off. Never worried about it after that. I made my own rear mounting plate adapter for that bike using one of my wife's nylon cutting boards. Had to buy her a new one after that.
Hood Automotive lighting Flash photography Automotive tire Astronomical object
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Light Motor vehicle

· Administrator
18,096 Posts
I have not seen a Bestem case but was told they are good quility. But what brand of mount is it sitting on? Maybe a picture of the botton of the case and of the mount. Might need to shim up a rubber mount pad or find a taller rubber pad to replace them.

· Premium Member
2,381 Posts
I had that same case on my ST1100. It did shake a fair amount. When I put it on that bike I had been reading reports of other cases, GIVI and others, having a latch failure and falling off while going down the road. This is not what causes the shaking but I had just read of that happening in certain RARE situations. This case does fit the tabs into the front holders loosely and that is what causes the shaking. I added a knobbed bolt with a wing nut through the center of the case and through the plate. I drilled a hole just back of the dimple in the bottom of the case and through the plate for the bolt. I also drilled a small hole through the bolt just below where the wing nut ended up when tight and put a small R clip through to prevent the wing nut from backing off. Never worried about it after that. I made my own rear mounting plate adapter for that bike using one of my wife's nylon cutting boards. Had to buy her a new one after that.
View attachment 101070 View attachment 101071
Getting that "R clip" in, and out, looks like one of those bar puzzles.

· Registered
2,879 Posts
I have not seen a Bestem case but was told they are good quility. But what brand of mount is it sitting on? Maybe a picture of the botton of the case and of the mount. Might need to shim up a rubber mount pad or find a taller rubber pad to replace them.
The Bestem cases come with their own base plate including the bronze colored bars shown in my photo. I used those bars to reinforce the cutting board mounting adapter I made.
I don't have a picture of the bottom of the case but here is one of the mounting base that comes with it and all the parts I used to build my mounting. This is after I drilled that center hole for the knob bolt and wing nut.
Electronic device Auto part Font Musical instrument accessory Composite material

And here it is mounted on the bike.
Reflex camera Digital camera Camera accessory Camera lens Bumper

Reactions: wspollack

· Administrator
18,096 Posts
Do you think if you used some 3M double back tape with a thin felt pad in the 4 places would help?
Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Office equipment Motor vehicle

· Registered
2,879 Posts
Not so sure about that. IIRC the box did fit tight to the rubber bumpers but still could wiggle a little while riding. But that bolt that I added in the middle did prevent any movement.

Reactions: Dave_J

· Registered
2,799 Posts
I have a Burgman 650 with the Bestem top case on the back. I love the case but all it does is rattle and shake. The mount is secure. My friend was riding behind me yesterday, and he said he was waiting for it to bounce off. I am about ready to bolt it directly to the mounting bracket as I never remove it anyhow, but before I do that I wanted to see if you all had any tricks to stop the rattling and bouncing...

Thanks!

View attachment 101067

· Administrator
18,096 Posts
Welcome back Reap, where ya been?

· Registered
2,799 Posts
Just about all of us including me had to learn the hard way, the hard way is cheaping out and buying junk luggage because you think you are saving money, but the truth is you are wasting money because you now own some worthless JUNK! Some people will tell you "I've owned Bestem luggage and it's great stuff" now like me you KNOW BETTER, and you also know that people who make those claims are well FULL OF ****! Just about every bike and scooter site has its share of cheap asses who will even post pictures of their handy work (cheap junk) but at the end of the day they are cheap and are mostly satisfied with cheap junk basically because they are CHEAP! Once I figured this all out I bought nothing but the best GIVI top box and hard saddlebags, all totaling about $1,200. I don't want you to go away feeling bad, I would guess that at least 90% of the members here are just as cheap as you I was in the beginning but I learned. TheReaper!

· Registered
2,799 Posts
Welcome back Reap, where ya been?
I was in suspended animation on the way planets outside our own solar system. TheReaper!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts