Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an annoying rattle on my 650 at low speed. 20-30 mph. The rattle isn't there at idle or speeds above 40 mph. Any idea what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
What RPM are you doing at that speed?

Mine will rattle/shutter anything below 3,000 RPM, while it's under load. Cruising with very light throttle it goes away.

Try manual mode or power mode at low speed while under load to keep the rpm's up, or a light throttle.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Check RPMs as I had all sorts of rattle problems at around 3,000 rpm from a standing start to get up to traffic speed.

To get rid of the rattle on my K9, I shimmed all parts of the windshield where it rattled and that worked fine.

The rattle came back and found it was coming from the dash so I used silicone in a tube on all places where it previously rattled and that worked for a while.

Again the rattle came back and I found that it was from the transparent plastic that covers the speedometer rubbing the top of the dash. I used silicone again to shim this area and *NO RATTLE* after 2 years :D

Going onto my 4th year and still no rattle *KNOCK ON WOOD*. My K-9 has over 12,000+ mi which is low compared to many here on the board. I hope to get some touring done before it gets too cold which should get me to about 13-14K miles in 4 years.

I know if I were to get another B650, I will go through the same procedure again. Something I'm not looking forward. In other words, I'm going to keep my K-9 as long as possible.

With all the tupperware and windshield that could use better mounts, rattles are a fact of life with large scooters. I had this problem with the Silverwing scooter and it took months before I shimmed everything with no rattles. The Honda Reflex 250 was a nightmare. I traded several in later turned to buying the Rebel 250. The Honda Helix and Honda Elite 250 were solid and never rattled so I didn't even think about this problem until I bought my Silverwing.

I now have the Honda Metropolitan 50cc that never rattles with no shimming or modifications and the Honda Goldwing F6B which doesn't rattle.

If you can ignore the 'rattle' than no problem; otherwise, if you invest some time and shim the edges where the tupperware is rubbing and squeaking... the Burgman is quiet with no squeaking. Invest in some double sided stick tape and silicone in a tube and you'll have no problems.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Check your windshield fasteners. Mine were all only finger-tight when I checked time. I was shooting some on-board videos recently and noticed a big buzz right around 3,000 rpm that went away once I tightened down the windscreen.

·
Registered
348 Posts
No. It's the throttle body balancers.
Is that rattle considered normal for the B650 2013?

What did you do to your throttle body balancers to stop the squeaking? I have never heard of this before. This is something to help others who would buy a 2013 B650.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I believe he is suggesting that the throttle bodies are not balanced. The tool to do this with is a 'throttle body balancer' basically its a pair of vacuum gauges so you can adjust the throttle openings separately at low speeds to keep the intake vacuum of the two cylinders even and thus reduce vibration.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
That's good they didn't mess up the cvt, TBS is tunable however a bit rare tweak for the Burgie.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All Burgman 650 models ('13 and '14) designated for California are supposed to get the Throttle body Synch checked/balanced at the 600 mile service.

My dealer "traded" for my '13 Burg 650 and I wonder if 1/3-1/2 of all Burgman 650s are California spec scooters. My service manager speculated that there are many Burgman 650s which may need the throttle body synch outside California.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In reading this, I'm wondering, were any of these on new 650s and not properly adjusted from the beginning? I have only 200miles on my 2013 just bought with 0 miles. This vibration,rattle is getting more noticeable especially with a passenger under load art around 2500 rpm at 20 to 30 mph while accelerating. Is this something damaging that i should worry about?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I complained about this vibration/rattle at my 600 miles service. Because it felt like lugging, I assumed it was a gearing problem. Anyway, apparently nothing was done because the same problem persists and really puts a damper on my overall enjoyment of the bike.

In looking at the maintenance chart in the owner's manual, I do see that Throttle valve synchronization is an inspection item at the 600 mi. service. Hopefully I can get the dealer to do the work at no charge - considering I take both my Burgmans to him.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Throttle body balance

I dropped off my 650 at the dealer today and described the vibration at low speed to him. I also said I complained about the same thing at my 600 mile service, and the vibration now seems worse. I also mentioned that many on this forum complain about the same thing, and balancing the throttle body did the trick.

He said he would put it on the computer and call Suzuki support if necessary. I just told him to ride the bike between 25-45 mph and he'll see for himself.

Will follow up next week.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Same as mine, computer is dropping it into the highest ratio as quick as it can, more of a lugging/groaning type with the vibrations to go with I tried SpeedoHealer to up the rpm 500 or so it worked but the computer did like it created an hesitation/missing at below 2800rpm or so just in the rpm range for cornering so I removed it and power mode is to hi and annoying when your in the 50-70kph range.

Greg

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Finally picked up my bike from the dealer on Saturday. Almost two weeks and multiple calls. After much pleading, they finally called Suzuki tech support and were advised to check the throttle body (exactly what I told them, based on this email string, when I dropped it off).

They did the balancing, and the bike seemed MUCH better on the 5 mile ride home (I'll need to put more miles on her to be sure).

I lost some respect for my dealer, but they did not charge me for the service. (Maybe Suzuki picked up the tab, or they realized they should have done this at the 600 mile service).

Anyway - case closed. Thanks to Burgmanmaniac for starting this posting.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Well, the dreaded vibration has been slowly creeping back to the point that it is as bad as it way initially. Question for you wrenchers - can the throttle sync work it's way out of balance? Did my dealer do a lousy job in balancing in the first place?

Scootermaniac - is your bike still performing well? (I'm going to PM you).

Finally picked up my bike from the dealer on Saturday. Almost two weeks and multiple calls. After much pleading, they finally called Suzuki tech support and were advised to check the throttle body (exactly what I told them, based on this email string, when I dropped it off).

They did the balancing, and the bike seemed MUCH better on the 5 mile ride home (I'll need to put more miles on her to be sure).

I lost some respect for my dealer, but they did not charge me for the service. (Maybe Suzuki picked up the tab, or they realized they should have done this at the 600 mile service).

Anyway - case closed. Thanks to Burgmanmaniac for starting this posting.

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
In the 13 years I've owned the bike, I have never synced the throttle bodies. If it's a real rattle, it may be loose plastics. I finally found the "knock" that's been bugging me for a few years when I would go over a bump. It turned out to be the computer box, under the dash was loose fitting in the metal box it sits in. Adding some rubber shims to snug it up fixed it.

Just a thought

1 - 20 of 22 Posts