Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
Interesting, I had not seen either of those bikes before. Just my opinion but I still like the one on the video above better. The green one looks like it needs to be finished and the black one looks like a BMW wannabe. I admire their style and willingness to try to push the envelope but neither of those do it for me.

·
Registered
'07 AN400K7 in transition to being different
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for all the replies and Guys and the link Dave! The one thing that got my attention is the air filter assembly, and how he mounted the airflow sensor. Was it part of the assembly or did he have to modify it somehow? I will have to do some digging on it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
I just saw a 650 with body damage posted for sale in Edmonton if anyone of our northern neighbors were interested in trying this also. This is on the FB site. I am looking forward to seeing how your bike comes out @yoboats

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
A big THANKS Dave_J for taking the time to do that ....
Was the seat made by anyone you’ve heard before?

I thought the close up of the license plate showed the Swiss Flag Red Cross. Do the Swiss speak a dialect of German ?

·
Administrator
20,204 Posts
A big THANKS Dave_J for taking the time to do that ....
Was the seat made by anyone you’ve heard before?

I thought the close up of the license plate showed the Swiss Flag Red Cross. Do the Swiss speak a dialect of German ?
On the seat, I did not pay attention enough. It is VERY nice.

The Swiss speak a mix of languages but the main one is German, Same with Austria. They speak their own dialects too. More a mix of 'High' German and some local border slang.
In the south border they speak Italian, the west border with France is French.

The city of Basel is a nice city to visit. The Northwest side borders France and Northeast is Germany. The German Autobahn 5 is the border between France and Germany and ends in Basel Switzerland.

Being stationed in Stuttgart Germany most of Switzerland was a 2 - 4 hour ride.
No issues at the borders, I needed no Passport or Visa, my US Military ID was all needed to go anywhere in FREE Europe.
The only country that gave me any issues were the French.

My Suzuki GS750 got 41 MPG and had a 5 gallon tank so in 3 1/4 hours and 1 tank I could have lunch in Vaduz, Liechtenstein and be home for dinner. ;) But most rides were over night stays.

I would have liked to have a Burgman in Germany but it may have limited me some. Too SLOW for the major Autobahn's. At 85 MPH you are the 'Road Toad' and everything but the trucks will pass you. Doing 160 Km/h and a car goes past at 300 Km/h its wake will upset a motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
I wonder how much weight is lost by the removal of most of the Tupperware? I'm still away from home but I think a project like this could turn out well for the right person. I used to work on aircraft so my need for making sure everything is in the right place would override my creativeness (if I had any, too much OCD to allow me to get outside the lines). I am hoping someone here along with yoboats will take up the task of getting a little crazy with their beloved Burgman. Who says we can't be one of the cool kids on a custom scooter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I wonder how much weight is lost by the removal of most of the Tupperware? I'm still away from home but I think a project like this could turn out well for the right person. I used to work on aircraft so my need for making sure everything is in the right place would override my creativeness (if I had any, too much OCD to allow me to get outside the lines). I am hoping someone here along with yoboats will take up the task of getting a little crazy with their beloved Burgman. Who says we can't be one of the cool kids on a custom scooter?
Hey Blacktruck, I am a Aircraft Engine Mechanic and can understand how you feel. every once in a while when I look at all the wires I am routing laying all over my brain fizzes over like an Alka-Seltzer. I just have to walk away and come back later fresh.

·
Administrator
20,204 Posts
Wiring is easy for some. This is about 1,400 pairs of telephone wires. And yes I can just reach in and pull just your ADSL line out of those, all color coded.

Cable.jpg

Reactions: yoboats

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
White, red , black, yellow, violet
Blue, orange, green, brown, slate
....repeat ad nauseam

(Telephone cable is also usrd in pipe organs for the control wiring and action magnets, hundreds or thousands, depending on the size.)

Reactions: yoboats and Dave_J

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
You're a better man than I am Gunga Din. I was a body and fender man on helicopters for a long time. Anything to do with wiring or avionics was magic to me. Pretty sure those who worked on that stuff were using some of those dark arts I've heard about. Give me things I can hammer on, twist, replace and paint and I am good.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
Hey Blacktruck, I am a Aircraft Engine Mechanic and can understand how you feel. every once in a while when I look at all the wires I am routing laying all over my brain fizzes over like an Alka-Seltzer. I just have to walk away and come back later fresh.
Funny how that stuff carries over to your later (read that post military) years. Yea making sure wires were tight and clamped in place, hardware was oriented the correct way and stack up and torque specs were used almost religiously. Yes that still hangs with me and prevents me from just throwing things together. I am almost envious of those who can and do that stuff. Aviation training and a bit of OCD keeps me in line (literally).

·
Administrator
20,204 Posts
....repeat ad nauseam

(Telephone cable is also used in pipe organs for the control wiring and action magnets, hundreds or thousands, depending on the size.)
Yep, 5 base colors with 5 tracer wire combos all repeating themself's 25 pairs at a time.
That little part of your 'Lizard' brain where you can do something without even thinking is where Cable Splicing was for me. I could sit down and splice a 600 pair cable and carry on conversations or listen to music and never get a wire out of place. 1200 pairs spliced in a day was normal.
I still have a full 3M MS2 splicing kit in the garage.

Reactions: yoboats and G-Dub

·
Registered
287 Posts
....repeat ad nauseam

(Telephone cable is also usrd in pipe organs for the control wiring and action magnets, hundreds or thousands, depending on the size.)

I only understand:
White-Orange, Orange, White-Green, Blue, White-Blue, Green, White-Brown, Brown

Unless I'm being anti-social... then it's
White-green, green, White-orange, white-brown, brown, orange, blue, white-blue

But, sadly, twenty years on... I can still do that in my sleep all day long.

·
Administrator
20,204 Posts
I only understand:
White-Orange, Orange, White-Green, Blue, White-Blue, Green, White-Brown, Brown

Unless I'm being anti-social... then it's
White-green, green, White-orange, white-brown, brown, orange, blue, white-blue

But, sadly, twenty years on... I can still do that in my sleep all day long.
Starbucks Corp Headquarters in Seattle wanted to change from 568B to 568A. 17,000 jacks to rewire.

We wired everything with a Cat 3 and a Cat 5. They wanted to use w/br and w/g for Fax/modem at the same time as data. We were already running 2 cables to each cubical and one would support 4 voice lines. They never needed 6 voice lines at each cubical. Longest run from the IDF was 240 feet. Its a big 9 story building and each floor had 4 IDF's with 4 Fiber feeds (2 light & 2 dark) and a 600 pair voice cable from the MDF.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
You're a better man than I am Gunga Din. I was a body and fender man on helicopters for a long time. Anything to do with wiring or avionics was magic to me. Pretty sure those who worked on that stuff were using some of those dark arts I've heard about. Give me things I can hammer on, twist, replace and paint and I am good.
NOt better Cave, Just a different skill set. I am still amazed at how people can take a dented POS, straighten it out and paint it to make it new. I am not really good at thing. That's the reason I am Frankensteining my Burg. Not to mention I think it will be a fun project.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
NOt better Cave, Just a different skill set. I am still amazed at how people can take a dented POS, straighten it out and paint it to make it new. I am not really good at thing. That's the reason I am Frankensteining my Burg. Not to mention I think it will be a fun project.
OOPs was typing to 2 people on 2 different sites. Sorry Blacktruck for putting the wrong name!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
OOPs was typing to 2 people on 2 different sites. Sorry Blacktruck for putting the wrong name!
No worries sir. It happens. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I won't say that I envy those with a vision to do something like that but more that I wish the urge for order and originality weren't so strong. Keep up the project and let us know. You got this man.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Funny how that stuff carries over to your later (read that post military) years. Yea making sure wires were tight and clamped in place, hardware was oriented the correct way and stack up and torque specs were used almost religiously. Yes that still hangs with me and prevents me from just throwing things together. I am almost envious of those who can and do that stuff. Aviation training and a bit of OCD keeps me in line (literally).
I currently work in an MOR facility rebuilding assemblies from the field. One of my duties tis to repair parts to meet the HMM specks with as little cost as possible. So doing that has taught me to think outside the box to get things done. Once that is done and I go back up with the assembly I become an Annal Retentive Neorotic making sure everything is exactly how it is supposed to be. I am just glad I don't have to safety wire any more! I cannot count how many times I stuck myself with it or it broke while making the pigtail. Hell I once had some 0.020" go through my index finger, it bleed like crazy when I pulled it out. Ah the good ol' days.😉

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have been doing some looking around for a cold air intake kit for my project and have quickly come to the conclusion that they do not exist. So I did some digging on Amazon and found these that I should be able to mod. into something that will work.
1) 38mm 1.5'' High Clamp-On Flow Air Intake Filter Kit
Amazon.com: 38mm 1.5'' High Clamp-On Flow Air Intake Filter Kit, Auto Cold Air Intake Scooter Atv Dirt Pit Bike Motorcycle Air Filter (Black): Automotive
2)Water Coolant Temperature Sensor Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BL1QJD...olid=3E294FACUTPEV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
3)Aluminum Round Straight Tubing
Amazon.com: HPS AST-150 6061 T6 Seamless Aluminum Round Straight Tubing, 16 Gauge, 1' Length, 1.5" OD, 0.065" Wall Thickness: Industrial & Scientific

I plan to cut the tube into short pieces to link them all together and to use the water coolant temp sensor adapter as a mount for the mass air flow sensor. I will probably have to to some mod's on the adapter to get the MAFS fto fit correctly, but do not see it as being to difficult with a drill press. I would like to hear from all of you on your thoughts and opinions about this on whether it is a workable Idea. Please and Thank You!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would add that getting the cold air intake in an area that has clean air flow. The rear wheel well area seems to create a cloud of dirt and crud.

Art

21 - 40 of 41 Posts