Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
'07 AN400K7 in transition to being different
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I laid my '07 AN400K7 down last month ( over correction OOPS ) and trashed out the muffler and Tupperware on the right side, so of coarse the Insurance Company totaled it. Seeing that it still runs I bought it back on a salvage title and I am going to Rat It Out. I have already removed all the Tupperware except the front fender and the cargo tub in back and rerouted the battery to the cargo tub. I am also going to a single Bobber style LED headlight as well as LED fog and signal lights and a galvanized pipe frame.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about the seat?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Will you even be able to see the seat?

Sorry :)
I’d first decide how you would use the seat (single, 2-up, long distance)
Comfiest seat I ever had was multiple springs hooked into holes in tubular frame (like some lawn chairs) - might suit a rat style.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will you even be able to see the seat?

Sorry :)
I’d first decide how you would use the seat (single, 2-up, long distance)
Comfiest seat I ever had was multiple springs hooked into holes in tubular frame (like some lawn chairs) - might suit a rat style.
That sounds like a possible solution. I am considering 2 seater for mid length rides. Maybe a couple of aftermarket Spring seat mounted to some tube steel and sheet metal? What do you think would there be enough room to mount both? It will look kind of weird, but isn't that the point?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I like the look of dual spring seats like retro Vespas.

Might be worth looking on Vespa piaggio fan sites as they do loads of rat bikes.
Also Indonesian customs have crazy solutions, “Army tank style” is just one category, really bonkers but ingenious.

I’ve never actually messed with my 400 seat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not too worried about frames, I have a MiG welder so I can fabricate What I need, but thanks I will look at them.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
I laid my '07 AN400K7 down last month ( over correction OOPS ) and trashed out the muffler and Tupperware on the right side, so of coarse the Insurance Company totaled it. Seeing that it still runs I bought it back on a salvage title and I am going to Rat It Out.
Sorry to see the news of an accident with your bike. I'm not really into the whole rat bike/car/truck thing but I do like to see the creativity some of the people have. Please post some pics as you go along with it. While not my cup of tea, it is a bike and I'm interested in seeing what you are doing with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to see the news of have an accident with your bike. I'm not really into the whole rat bike/car/truck thing but I do like to see the creativity some of the people have. Please post some pics as you go along with it. While not my cup of tea, it is a bike and I'm interested in seeing what you are doing with it.
I will definitely do that. Should be a fun project.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
And now a word from the 'Safety Cop'.

When you use galvanized steel you must grind all of the galvanizing from the weld joint. You should also have a fresh air blower that pushes air under your weld mask to keep the weld fumes away. You should also vent the weld fumes out of the shop. This is no joke.
Its called Galvanized Flu and it can be deadly. Been there.

The Zinc Oxide fumes float around the shop and long expose builds up in your body. Many of the symptoms and their severity depend on what you've been welding. Galvanized steel fumes really do a wack job on someone's body. Other weld fumes might cause only a mild amount of health issues, like welded Cadmium fume poisoning, galvanized flu will hit you hard....

Few welders have died the first time they become ill but you may feel like you are going to die. However, after a couple years, the exposure damage starts to add up.

So, you can heed my warnings or say "You're FULL of BAT CRAP." Its up to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

When you use galvanized steel you must grind all of the galvanizing from the weld joint. You should also have a fresh air blower that pushes air under your weld mask to keep the weld fumes away. You should also vent the weld fumes out of the shop. This is no joke.
Its called Galvanized Flu and it can be deadly. Been there. The Zinc Oxide fumes float around the shop and long expose builds up in your body. Many of the symptoms and their severity depend on what you've been welding. Galvanized steel fumes really do a wack job on someone's body. Other weld fumes might cause only a mild amount of health issues, like welded Cadmium fume poisoning, galvanized flu will hit you hard....

Few welders have died the first time they become ill but you may feel like you are going to die. However, after a couple years, the exposure damage starts to add up.
Thanks Dave for the reminder. Not only is it toxic to breath but if you do not get the zinc off you will also get a lousy weld as well as splatter. I have a few scars from slag splatter hitting me because I didn't prep the metal correctly.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Its called Galvanized Flu and it can be deadly. Been there.

The Zinc Oxide fumes float around the shop and long expose builds up in your body. Many of the symptoms and their severity depend on what you've been welding. Galvanized steel fumes really do a wack job on someone's body. Other weld fumes might cause only a mild amount of health issues, like welded Cadmium fume poisoning, galvanized flu will hit you hard....

So, you can heed my warnings or say "You're FULL of BAT CRAP." Its up to you.
Welding galvy was the fume fear of all many, years ago. Today, generally, there isn’t a lot of compelling design reasons to incorporate welded galvy. What has replaced this health danger today, is stainless. It’s much, much more commonly used, and in welded assemblies. High nickel and more importantly, chromium, can release in various forms such as hexavalent chromium, when welding stainless. It would behoove the average professional welder, to be leery of daily stainless welding more than an occasional galvanized weld job.
Of course all welding should be very well vented.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on the build. I have stripped the bike down and have finally Installed the new light. Now I have started Rerouting the Wire Harness so that the ECU and such are located in the Helmet compartment. Needless to say this will be a treat as you can see in the pics. I am soldering and shrink wrapping each new connection and when done will have webbed sleeving tove make prurdy.
Hear are the pics of my progress so far.

front.jpg New Headlight.jpg stripped left.jpg

stripped right side.jpg strippped front left.jpg Harness Rewiring.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I was just telling mikeyMarine about a Ruckus 650....I was thinking I’d like to do that till I seen the pic of the Wild Spaghetti.

Anxiously awaiting on your maiden voyage ....Thanks for the updates.

Reactions: yoboats

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was just telling mikeyMarine about a Ruckus 650....I was thinking I’d like to do that till I seen the pic of the Wild Spaghetti.

Anxiously awaiting on your maiden voyage ....Thanks for the updates.
You are welcome on the update. It has been fun to have something to do during the cold days. The Wiring is not so bad, especially when I have the Haynes Manual With Wire Schematics. Although Suzuki does a lot of doubling back on wires to places they have already have been.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
What did he say..... Dave_J ?

Just the highlights please.

Every time I see one naked I understand a bit more of the magic.
The forward leaning cylinder reminds me a of a Ducati.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
No idea what was said and for the record I do enjoy the smooth and classic lines of a full bodied Burgman but I will admit to having this make me feel a bit tingly by seeing it. The offset color on the exposed frame and the few bits of plastic left really looked good. Am I crazy?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
And another thing.
As said before I am not a fan of the whole rat bike thing but the 650 shown above is about enough to make me want to find another 650 in need if some bodywork and trying something like that. I don't really consider that a "rat bike" but more of just another direction of creative styling. It would lose some functionality but it sure would look cool. Precisely why I would need a second 650. No way I would give up my panniers and top box.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
Basically 14 minuets explaining how its all stock except the air filter and the Yoshi (Auspuff) muffler. The Reporter dosen't understand why Raptor II. Bernhard explains the cost of replacing the damaged plastics steered him to go for the open trellis frame Ducati Monster look. He modified it to put Brimbo brakes on front.

The German is fast and is more Northern than my Swabian southern German.
Just like a New Yorker talking to a deep south Georgian, some loss in translations will take place.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
You remember these 650 builds? I captured all the photos.

1.jpg Afrodita-Doctor-CVT-1.jpg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts