Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 burgman 650, recently acquired. I put new tires on, and it only has 4200 miles on the odometer. The front is a michelin Gold standard scooter tire, the rear a federal formorsa. I have discovered that if I let go of the handle bars at about 45 mph the bike is stable at first but then starts a wobble that becomes dangerous. With one finger tip on the bars at any speed even high there is no instability at all. Is this normal for the burgman? My Majesty is very stable without any hands on the bars.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
If there is a wobble while at speed, check tire balance and air pressure 1st, especially after new tires. Then the steering head for looseness.

The main thing is, the handlebars should not flop back and forth when the front wheel is off the ground. If there is a slight resistance, and there is no shimmy or wobble when your at speed, you should be fine.

This may help, Steering Head Adjustment This uses the handlebar resistance as a gauge, instead of the steering nut torque.

Along with these 3 threads
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21062&p=194354#p194354
viewtopic.php?t=16850
viewtopic.php?t=1938

·
Registered
143 Posts
No! This is not normal. I would at the very least jack the front wheel up ( from under the engine) grab the front wheel and see if anything is loose. If all seems tight check the tire for anything abnormal(tread separation etc). It may be a balance problem if all else checks out.

·
Registered
765 Posts
John,

Double check tire bead for proper sealing. Once had a new tire mounted on a bike that had a shimmy after new tire but not before. Tire held proper amount of air but closer examination revealed a spot on the rim where the bead had not seated completely. Worth a look.

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was thinking steering head myself. Easy to fix with a 12" crescent wrench. Overtighten it a bit and then back it off just a smidge.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I was thinking steering head myself. Easy to fix with a 12" crescent wrench. Overtighten it a bit and then back it off just a smidge.
This is my first thought as well.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
A crescent wrench won't tighten the bearings in the steering head, only the triple tree. It may be that is what was all that was needed in your case. You need to adjust the black nut between the top triple tree and the bike frame, to snug up the bearings.

Jim said:

This picture (from the Gallery) is mainly looking at the ignition switch, but does show the steering head.
The thick Black Washer with slots in the side, under the handlebar, just below the main nut above the handlebar. This nut is what keeps the head bearings secure on the frame of the bike.
The shock adjusting tool works well for snugging it up, after you loosen up the big nut.

You should use a service manual for the correct specs.

But with the front wheel off the ground, the handlebars should not, flop back and forth.
There should be some resistance. Not having a steering damper, makes this more sensitive to change.
The way I understand it is, you don't measure the torque of the nut. You measure the resistance at the end of the handlebars (with the front wheel off the floor), by using a weight scale that measures in ounces (3-7 oz or 200-500 grams). You tighten the nut, untill the proper resistance is meet.

This should help. Steering Head Adjustment

Although it's for an '03, I believe the procedure and specs., are the same.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tightend bearing nut

I pulled off the tupperware and checked the resistance as per the maint manual for the steering stem nut and it was too loose. No resistance at all to start a turn of the handle bars. I didn't have a scale but estimated the aprox 1 lbs resistance. The supplied wrench for the rear shocks fits perfect and makes a good tool to turn the nut. Weather was bad so I didn't get a chance to do a check ride but will try that when I get a chance the ride again.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Be careful !! Too tight is not good either.

1 lb. is a lot of resistance on the handlebar.

How much did you turn the nut, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 turn?

Do a careful road test. (leave the tupperware off for the road test)

If your not sure on the resistance force, start small and go from there.

You can do it :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the exact problem. Front tire has about 300 miles on it. I had the same issue when I started to cross a bridge. A real eye opener!
I used dyna beads in the tire for balancing and was wondering if that might be the problem.
It has a smooth ride after the new tire was installed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem fixed

Just road tested the bike and no wobbles with the bearing tightened up. I will borrow a fish scale and measure the amount of pressure it takes to move the front end, but right now just a little push with the pink gets the handle bars to move.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Loadtoad,
What exactly did you do? You indicate that the bearing was tightened up?? Which bearing are you talking about? I have a wobble between 25 and 30 mph, which I would like to resolve as well. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Just road tested the bike and no wobbles with the bearing tightened up. I will borrow a fish scale and measure the amount of pressure it takes to move the front end, but right now just a little push with the pink gets the handle bars to move.
:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Loadtoad,
What exactly did you do? You indicate that the bearing was tightened up?? Which bearing are you talking about? I have a wobble between 25 and 30 mph, which I would like to resolve as well. Thanks
I believe if you read this whole thread you should be able to figure out how he did it. That said, have you checked to see if your tires are balanced ? Low speed wobble is common if your tires are not balanced proper.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loadtoad,
I just tightened up the steering stem nut a little. The wrench that comes with your bike to adjust the rear shock preload fits perfect. The procedure is on page 9-46 of the maint manual. I used a fish scale to check the tension. Fixed my problem but my problem only manifested itself when I let go of the handlebars while going down the road, not while I had a hand on the bars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
John,

Double check tire bead for proper sealing. Once had a new tire mounted on a bike that had a shimmy after new tire but not before. Tire held proper amount of air but closer examination revealed a spot on the rim where the bead had not seated completely. Worth a look.

Sirkitrider
I agree with what Sirkirider is saying. Because you said you had new tires, my guess is that your tire isn't seated properly against the rim. Run the air pressure up to about 70/75 pounds and then adjust it back down to the recommended pressure. That should be a realitively easy fix.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I just tightened up the steering stem nut a little. The wrench that comes with your bike to adjust the rear shock preload fits perfect. The procedure is on page 9-46 of the maint manual. I used a fish scale to check the tension. Fixed my problem but my problem only manifested itself when I let go of the handlebars while going down the road, not while I had a hand on the bars.
Many motorcycles will exhibit a wobble with hands off riding. This is not a way to check for loose head bearings. All motorcycle manufacturers recommend keeping your hands on the handlebars all the time (as does the MSF). A hands off wobble can be caused by the geometry of rake and trail and happen even when the head bearings are properly set.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
255 Posts
What DougInKY says!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts