Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the video associated with the story regarding a road rage incident in NYC.

Thoughts...

late,
Coz

Story

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
the first collision appears to be the biker doing something stupid, then the cage driver panicked and as usual panic doesnt lead to good things

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
my thoughts:

1 - bikers should have use only one line with 2 motorcycles in paralell or zigzag
2 - the car should have never be sorrounded, bikers should have passed the car along in a different line
3 - video is about 6 minutes long, plenty of time to call the cops and they should have stopped the car
4 - car should have never been assaulted as they first tried to open the door

some say in the car there were a 5 months baby and his wife that would have explained why he ran away, thinking he would get assaulted by the bikers, which happened later on, he should have called the police himself and drive to the nearest police station if the cops didn't stop him before.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
For a moment there I thought the victim of the motorcycle thugs was in coma, but what a relief to discover it was one of the thugs.

The guy being pushed over by the RR can only blame himself, as he switches lanes right in front of the RR and slows abruptly down.

As the commenters on ADVRider.com say: Had in been in Florida, shooting the thugs that try to pull him out of the car would be justifiable homicide in self defense.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
These guys are not bikers.
They are a mob using the public highway as their personal fiefdom, intimidating other road users and obstructing the highway. Their riding was atrocious throughout and a clear and present danger to themselves, the other riders and all other road users. At least one biker acts as the catalyst by deliberately slowing, provoking and obstructing the SUV - it is not easy to determine exactly what happened immediately after that but it is clear, contact was made and bikes(s) and rider(s) were run over by the SUV.

What followed was lynch mob antics, atrocious, uncivilised and criminal behaviour. Every man jack of them should be tracked down and subjected to the full weight of the law.

As for the SUV driver. He made one big mistake - at the initial provocation he should have stopped thus there would have been no contact. That said,that was a forgivable and minor mistake in the circumstances. After that - well he has my support because he feared for his life, for substantial reasons, and of course for that of his family. To be honest he would have my support if he had mown the lot of them down.

What makes idiots like these riders think they can behave like this on the highway and act with impunity.

Shameful, shameful, shameful.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I gotta side with Norman on this issue , and the worst part of it is ,the media are as usual lumping all motorcycle riders in to the same category. The general public get's another dose of the bad boy biker image thanks to the press.

It's small wonder that we are even allowed to own motorbikes any more.
If you think for a minute that the nanny state politicians are not going to make hay with this at some point you are sadly mistaken folks.

It's just one more nail in the coffin of freedom brought on by a filthy few.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
....and then there is the innocent biker who was rendering aid and got run over......NOT a THUG but a Family man.
http://www.wtsp.com/news/national/a...-man-paralyzed-after-NYC-motorcycle-road-rage
I hope this is sarcasm.

What was the 'innocent' biker doing standing in front of the SUV. The biker originally injured as a result of his own behavior was not run over as the SUV exited so he apparently was somewhere else. Just what kind of 'aid' is Meeze rendering and to whom. Assuming he is truly an innocent victim of circumstance, his complaint is with the behavior of his fellow gang members. The SUV driver seems to be the only truly innocent victim here. Were I driving, the only way that SUV would stop moving is if the engine seized or the wheels fell off.

Bottom line, based on the video, if you make the decision to participate in stupid behavior expect to collect stupid prizes.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
From what I have read the NYPD recieved over 300 complaints about that particular group of riders that day. They were pulling in front of cars and stopping them so they could stage stunts on the public roads. It appears that was what the first rider was doing when he got bumped by the SUV. After that it was just retaliation by the bikers against the driver of the SUV. If the riders had not been breaking the law in the first place then this never would have happened. I have little compassion for them.

That includes the one who they claim was just trying to aid another biker. He may be a family man but he was participating in the same activities as the rest of the group. He may have just been trying to aid the fallen rider at that point but that does not excuse the behavior he had been participating in up to that point in time. That behavior created the incident not the actions of the SUV driver.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The allegedly 'innocent' biker who was coming to the aid of the injured biker was actually guilty by association in that he was actively involved in the illegal behaviour that precipitated the incident.

Does NYC have the death penalty?

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
[
Does NYC have the death penalty?[/QUOTE]

yes, it's called falling asleep on the subway:eek:gre:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The "innocent biker" is the guy in green riding on the right side of the RR as it bumps in to the thug apruptly stopping in front of it. The guy rode in from Massachusetts and had already lost his drivers license some years ago.

I recognize this thug behavioral from school: one bully would push me into another bully, who would punch me for bumping into him, well knowing it was his pal who caused me to. I've got the broken nose to prove it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...torcyclists/jHju3V1xAOsdF6Q2vT8BaL/story.html

Though Mieses is a Massachusetts resident, he has never had a valid Massachusetts driver’s license for a passenger vehicle and has never applied for a motorcycle license, the Registry of Motor Vehicles said.

Registry records show that Mieses applied for a learner’s permit in 1999 and 2000, but that he never obtained a full license because he failed to pay fines imposed after he was ticketed for speeding in Lawrence in 1999. His last contact with the Registry was in 2001, when he obtained an identification card, registry records show.

Since 1999, he has been ticketed by police 16 times, in Lawrence, Methuen, Roxbury, Andover, and New Hampshire, according to registry records.

In June, the Registry notified the National Driver Register that Mieses was a habitual traffic offender whose right to drive in Massachusetts was revoked until 2017, records show.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Personally, I think there is insufficient evidence to determine the root cause of the situation, things seem to already be in progress by the start of the video.

I cannot agree with some of the sentiments express here.

There is no doubt that at some point a "mob mentality" took over, and that the SUV driver was acting out of fear, and some, perhaps misplaced, "flee, or die" urge, but I don't feel the actions taken on either side of things can be justified.
Things rapidly escalated out of hand on both sides, both sides took steps that were WAY TOO EXTREME for the full circumstances, and neither sides actions can be acceptable in a civilized society.

To try to label one group of people as "thugs" on the such flimsy evidence, is extremely rash, to say the least.
Let us not forget the worst excesses of the bike riders occurred after, the SUV driver made a deliberate decision to take his vehicle OVER, rather than round vehicles and people which were blocking his path. Deliberately running over people seems "thug like" behavior to me.
I've seen people surrounded by a group brandishing loaded firearms at them who took less inflammatory, and drastic, measures.
I've no doubt he was scared, I very much doubt he took the best course of action to defuse the situation.

To my mind, there are NO innocents in control of a vehicle in this video. Both sides are wrong, and all need to be held accountable.

I fully realize I'm swimming against the tide in this.....but sometimes one has to stand-up against the mob mentality, whether on a road, or on a web discussion forum, and hopefully do it in a calm, and reasonable manner.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
The allegedly 'innocent' biker who was coming to the aid of the injured biker was actually guilty by association in that he was actively involved in the illegal behaviour that precipitated the incident.

Does NYC have the death penalty?
It has been reported in some media here that there was and undercover LEO riding as part of the group..........so I guess by your logic he is guilty by association too.......and therefore also the entire law enforcement community?

Sadly, there's probably already a lawyer somewhere preparing case against the city for the actions of it's personnel in causing this incident.......

......I'm really grateful that "guilty by association" was not in the UK statutes when I was growing up........with some of the kids we had in our school, we would have all ended up behind bars, including the faculty!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
Here is a frame by frame breakdown of the video showing what the rider that did the break check (Cruz) was doing and what the so called innocent biker (Mieses) was doing that might shed some light on it for you. http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/217012.php

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
While this does serve to illustrate some points, it still in no way addresses the full picture, and fails to shed more light, at least for me at any rate. All of this I was previously aware of...........

...when the video starts, the SUV is already in the midst of the bikes, and fairly surrounded when the "brake check" occurs........

....I think we'd learn more if the footage of the few minutes before this were shown, leading up to first contact between the groups, before trying to judge "who cast the first stone".

I believe the altercation was already underway when the video begins, and what is shown are merely the stages of escalation. I'd like to see how it began.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
That you are not likely to see unless some outside source provides it. The video in question came from the bike riders. I would suspect that if there was video that showed the SUV started the altercation they would have already released it.

·
Administrator
20,110 Posts
That you are not likely to see unless some outside source provides it. The video in question came from the bike riders. I would suspect that if there was video that showed the SUV started the altercation they would have already released it.
And the part "IF" the bikers started it would already be edited out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts