Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to revise my fuel estimates. I've said before that the with even the worst mileage I've had on the 400 I could go 200 miles on a tankful. Nope. I ran out of fuel today at 169.8 miles. Had to push the 400 most of the .9 miles to a gas station. Not a good thing to do on a bad hip. I could have called my son to bring me a little fuel, but he was getting ready to leave for his Army reserve physical in less than an hour.

When I filled up this morning I had the one of the best MPG ever. And that with the new Givi shield installed. I attribute it to the fact that I was easy on the throttle and most of my miles were at 60 and under. Today was a whole different story. Most of my miles where Interstate at 70-80 MPH and maybe 10 miles 2-up riding (additional 170 pounds) with my son. Combined with the Givi shield, it resulted in poor mileage (and therefore pushing the bike).

I'll start filling up at 150 miles from now on just to be safe. Either that or I'll find a way to safely carry spare fuel on the 400.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bill,

The drag of the larger windshield increases considerably at those higher speeds. There is no doubt in my mind that the poorer mileage and tank range was due to the combination of the Givi windshield and the 70 to 80 mph speeds.

I have once again been considering going to an XXL Clearview (with a vent this time) on my 650. The comfort level would be nice to have. But I know darn well what it will do to my range on a tank of gas, particularly when flying along the Interstates when touring. Based on tests I ran last Spring, I can expect to lose at least 5 mpg. I just can't quite get myself to order one yet. When you are riding through the wide open boondocks, gas stations are few and far between - and losing that much range on a tank is scary. I am not comfortable with carrying bottled gasoline as a contingency either.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Bill, if you keep up with that exersize program you'll be looking real good for bikini season :D

Seriouly though, how is the 400 running? I haven't seen an update since you got it back.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Bill - curious - you may have already posted this but - is there a "break-in" period for a rebuild? 70 - 80, two up, and a new wind-blocker would seem sort of hard on the poor thing righ out of the blocks.....maybe I'm just stupid. yup - thats it. sorry i asked. i'll just go back to reading...

no really - man - you pushed it for the better part of a mile!!?? UG! Whatta drag! Welp - at least you now really know how much further it'll go once it reads "E" on the gauge with your new screen and in those conditions.

Well - I rented the new version of "Flight of the Phoenix" tonight and I'm anxious to see it. The original version was great...I hope this measures up.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Bill, 150 miles seems to be a good gas stop range. I used it on 650s and 400. In most places, you should not have any problems finding gas in a 150 miles. If you are in an area were 150 is questionable, stop an extra time at a lower mileage and fill up just in case. A gas stop only takes 5 - 10 minutes and gives you a change to stretch.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave,

The 400's running as good as new. The only problem that appeared from service is the right highbeam doesn't work. I figured it was a blown bulb. Put in a brand new pair of 55/60 H4 bulbs and stil have the same problem. I gave Tim a call and he told me to bring it in and they'd take care of it. Probably a wire loose somewhere. Not sure if it's related to the service, but the lower plastic plate crackedon the right hand side. Had Tim order a new one and we'll take care of both items at the same time. Looks like I'll be doing a 600 mile checkup about then too. It's just good to be back riding the 400 again. :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete,

I've got about 400 miles on it now. When I picked the bike up, I specifically asked Tim about how I should ride it. He said, "Ride normal". When I was riding 2-up today, that was all city riding topping out at around 55 (indicated). When on the Interstate I had it moving on down the road since I had time limits. Good thing I wasn't in a rush heading home. :?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roy,

I've normally been filling up between 160-180 miles. I guess I let the 75 MPG reading I got this AM lull me into a false sense of security. One mistake I WON'T be making again. :wink:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There have been several postings here about the small fuel cans for camping that hold 11 to 32 ounces (there may even be a smaller one). They cost about ten dollars.
Even if you don't feel comfortable carrying one with gas in it you could carry an empty one & you could then walk for gas instead of pushing.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I suspect that it would be a lot safer to carry extra gas in a top-box or saddlebag than in the main cargo area. I'm still debating buying a small bottle to carry in my Givi. Especially since I too just installed a Givi windscreen on my 400...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Since I cracked my Givi I have been using the Suzuki shield, so far in 500 miles I have changed my thinking a little. I am convinced the biggest factor in mpg on my 400 is the size of the windshield-at high speed
If I keep it below 65 (indicated) I get very close to the same mpg with either shield.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Bear in mind that parasitic drag increases with the square of your speed. For purposes of drag, riding into a headwind increases your effective speed by the speed of the wind added to your ground speed.(60 mph into a 15 mph headwind is equivalent to 75 mph on a calm day). Increasing the frontal area may also increase the coefficeint of drag. The effect of both these factors is exponential.
A bigger windscreen coupled with higher effective velocity through the air mass produces a double-whammy effect on fuel consumption.
Punching a bigger hole in the wind cost more. Doing it in a big hurry costs much more.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I liked your comments Docta. Wouldn't cutting vents into a larger windscreen help with reduction of drag on gas mileage?

Bill, does the 400 have a reserve tank? I just had my 600 mile service and have about 730 miles on it. I love how much quieter the engine seems at both high and low speeds. I really don't know how many mpg I get but usually fill up at 120-130 cause I am a sissy and do not want to push the 400 for more than 3 feet!

Evelyn

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Evelyn,

I don't think a vent would reduce windscreen drag very much. However, it would make it much more bearable to ride behind that big windscreen on a hot day. I sold the first Clearview XXL shield that I had for two reasons. One reason was it's negative effect on gas mileage and performance. The other reason was that I was dying behind it on hot days - there are times when I need some air hitting my body. If I do buy another, it will have the vent, but my expectation would be that it would enhance comfort much more than mileage.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Everyone has a specific role in the scooter-world to fill, it seems. For some of us, it's to zoom through corners on two wheels, and for others it is to effortlessly travel vast distances in lounge-chair comfort.

Bill's destined role, however, appears to be contemplating dead bikes on the roadside...

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Whooooo! Sorry Bill - but - even though that was wrong (JD?) - it was funny!

I am just glad to see that good ol Billy-bo is back up and riding with a fresh new engine, a new windscreen and spring nippin at his heels!

Ha Ha! Thanks Lampine! :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gruntled said:
Even if you don't feel comfortable carrying one with gas in it you could carry an empty one & you could then walk for gas instead of pushing.
I'd rather push than leave the 400 on the side of the road. With my luck someone would decide to give me a 'free tow' and that'd be the last I'd see of the 400. :shock:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Evelyn,

No, the 400 does not have a reserve tank. The Burgman does not have a fuel petcock allowing you to switch over to a reserve. Even though it would have been handy yesterday, I don't miss switching on the fuel valve each time I ride like on my old bikes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts