Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Burgman 650 Exec

Departed home with 165 miles on odometer, gas pump indicator indicator already blinking.
Last fuel segment started to blink at 170 miles.
Ran out of gas at 205 miles, a 35 miles later.
Dumped in a gallon of gas, rode 1 mile, put in another 2.9 gallons. Actual usable capacity, then, is 3.9 gallons.

MPG reading indicated 48.2 MPG. Odometer reading divided by fuel used indicated 52.8 MPG, about 10% higher than indicated.

Useful takeaways:
  1. When the last segment starts to blink I have about 0.7 x tank MPG miles to empty.
  2. I have been buying gas too often, as the fact that I've never taken more than 3.6 gallons at once indicates. I don't need to get nervous anymore at 160 miles. :rolleyes:

(All mileage is as indicated, not GPS.)

·
Administrator
20,566 Posts
I start to wonder at 160 miles.
I start to worry at 170 miles.
I start getting Range Anxiety at 180 mile.
I really start fretting and do not enjoy the ride at 185 miles.

This is with 180,000 miles riding Burgman 650's. I have ran out once and had to walk 3 miles, buy a $12 gas can, fill it and walk back 3 miles.

·
Super Moderator
12,510 Posts
On a long trip I generally carry a spare can with a gallon or two just in case, & will try to fuel before 200 miles.
I did hit 220+ on a couple occasions, sweating bullets. (This is why I carry a can).
Most I ever put in was ~3.8 gallons thereabouts coming off Chinook pass. ~60 mpg that and a couple other times.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I believe the 4 gal capacity of the tank. The first 4 bars are divided over 3 gallons and the 5th(last) bar is 1 gallon left in the tank and depending on your mileage during that ride will determine your range and sphincter pucker factor. Generally when I'm out on a long ride or traveling, my mileage will range quite a bit based on winds and terrain, so I adjust when I go ahead and fill up or go for the next known town. So far I haven't traveled through sparsely populated regions and probably won't on two wheels. If I get the notion and the chance to scoot around Utah, I'll probably trailer the bike there.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I start to wonder at 160 miles.
I start to worry at 170 miles.
I start getting Range Anxiety at 180 mile.
I really start fretting and do not enjoy the ride at 185 miles.

This is with 180,000 miles riding Burgman 650's. I have ran out once and had to walk 3 miles, buy a $12 gas can, fill it and walk back 3 miles.
This is exactly why I went through this exercise. No more wondering, worrying, anxiety, or fretting. And never running out gas.

I did the same thing with my 2013 Burgman 400, Fuel anxiety dropped while my distance between fill-ups increased.

·
Premium Member
13,013 Posts
Ok let me put the worry factor back in, remember the thing about the fuel pump being in the tank , and cooled by fuel, so if you get low you have no coolant for the fuel pump. and it's ELECTRIC! So, you are riding along all confident you have enough gas for one last trip to the refreshing beverage store before gassing up, and suddenly gas and electricity mix thru an overheated fuel pump. Horror of horrors, your tank explodes under yer dangly bits and all that refreshing goodness you just put under your seat is WASTED! and wasnt there something trivial mentioned about oil cooling?

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Dogboy , the Thumbs Up fell short again....A big THANK YOU .
I’m going to make a note to fill up at 150 miles from now on to keep from overheating
my fuel pump and singing Great Balls of Fire.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Reading through my notes years ago on Fuelly I estimated it was 4 gallons when I ran out of gas on the trip back from East Glacier to Kailspell, MT. I was fortunate enough to have someone lend me some gas. Since then I've kept a 20 oz MSR bottle under the seat so hopefully that will be my 1st and last time of runing it dry.

I did get stranded this past summer on the way to Tahoe but it wasn't gas related. I forgot to turn off the key and the lights drained the battery... charging it using my cell phone battery bank didn't work. I travel with a small battery bank jump starter now.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I travel with a small battery bank jump starter now.
Those things are great. You can also use them to charge electronics when the bike isn't running.

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650
1,027 Posts
Dogboy , the Thumbs Up fell short again....A big THANK YOU .
I’m going to make a note to fill up at 150 miles from now on to keep from overheating
my fuel pump and singing Great Balls of Fire.

Daris you're getting funnier, I thought I was reading Mikey Marine when I saw 'Great Balls of Fire'... :)

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Daris you're getting funnier, I thought I was reading Mikey Marine when I saw 'Great Balls of Fire'... :)
I’m not sure who the nuttiest is ? 🤣

·
Registered
132 Posts
So why am I putting SPF lotion on my face and shoulders in the summe?
First instinct is to click Like because of the joke, but then you get to thinkin about how someone else interprets your Like as maybe liking...well, you know...so you feel the need to quote and explain that you are liking the joke and not the...well, you know...and then there is another interpretation that one is not too bright and their head is in a dark place, and then you get yourself into a never ending cycle of interpretations and explanations and you don't know how to get yourself out of the situation and and and you begin to realize that maybe my head was in the dark place all along and and and💥o_O💥

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have never laughed so hard as a result of running out of gasoline....

·
Administrator
20,566 Posts
So why am I putting SPF lotion on my face and shoulders in the summe?
Its like brushing your teeth in the dark after a night of heavy drinking. But you grabbed the tube of 'Preparation H' in the dark.

Reading through my notes years ago on Fuelly I estimated it was 4 gallons when I ran out of gas on the trip back from East Glacier to Kailspell, MT. I was fortunate enough to have someone lend me some gas. Since then I've kept a 20 oz MSR bottle under the seat so hopefully that will be my 1st and last time of runing it dry.

I did get stranded this past summer on the way to Tahoe but it wasn't gas related. I forgot to turn off the key and the lights drained the battery... charging it using my cell phone battery bank didn't work. I travel with a small battery bank jump starter now.
I have 2 Primus 1.5 Liter camp bottles and 1 MSR 20 oz too. Primus bottles are a bit cheaper but still well made.

·
Registered
164 Posts
2012 Burgman 650 Exec

Departed home with 165 miles on odometer, gas pump indicator indicator already blinking.
Last fuel segment started to blink at 170 miles.
Ran out of gas at 205 miles, a 35 miles later.
Dumped in a gallon of gas, rode 1 mile, put in another 2.9 gallons. Actual usable capacity, then, is 3.9 gallons.

MPG reading indicated 48.2 MPG. Odometer reading divided by fuel used indicated 52.8 MPG, about 10% higher than indicated.

Useful takeaways:
  1. When the last segment starts to blink I have about 0.7 x tank MPG miles to empty.
  2. I have been buying gas too often, as the fact that I've never taken more than 3.6 gallons at once indicates. I don't need to get nervous anymore at 160 miles. :rolleyes:

(All mileage is as indicated, not GPS.)
I carry reserve in a can :D
Good for 10 miles or so

Reactions: DarisPakar
1 - 20 of 21 Posts