Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being notoriously cheap, I usually ride my 08 B400 with one eye on the MPG display. :rolleyes:

Today was the first time I just plain RODE it. Heading East on I-10 from Alabama, I kept up with traffic- which was somewhere to the right of (indicated) 80 MPH, for over an hour.

MPG was still showing 70 for a while, then down to 65 when I held it at (indicated) 85. With 65 overall, which is what I get in mixed use in warm weather. Yearly overall average is 62.

So it still delivers good MPG. [The best MPG shows in the 60 to 70 mph range.]

It's still amazing that it pulls like that, from one little cylinder :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
"Ride it like you stole it from your ex-girlfriends new boyfriend!" :D

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It's still amazing that it pulls like that, from one little cylinder :D
I don't think anyone would believe had i told them that. For the 400 it's heck of an engine. I don't even believe the DRZ can move as good on a highway.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Gotta say I don't think much about the mileage. It's good and life's too short. It's amazing what that little engine can do.

I rode my b400 with a MC group this weekend, and although it wasn't a high speed run, I kept up with the big bikes just fine, especially in the twisties. I always line up third or fourth from the leader, just behind a couple sport bikes, and the ones behind me always seem worried that I will hold them up. Afterwards I always get a few comments that I ride the he11 out of that little machine as I'm usually riding some Ducati's tail.

I actually scraped the center stand so bad on one turn, the rear tire lifted a bit, fulcrumed off the pavement, sparks spewing out the back. Lol. That's was a fun ride. (FYI, I don't recommend that maneuver, these were twisties I know well, on a bike I've been riding for eight years, it's second nature to me now)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I recall when a Honda 450 was a big gun....

Single 400 is no lightweight for power and the 400 decently slippery - fine gas mileage at those speeds.....650 won't do that

·
Registered
345 Posts
The ONLY time I pay attention to MPG is interstate travel bc I need to figure out how far I can stretch a tankful b/f refilling. Each time I refill, it seems like I lose 15 minutes in the process. Given that the gas gauge drops to E w/ about 1 gal still remaining, I rely on the distance meter to stretch another 40-50 more miles past E mark so that at the end of the day, I maximized riding time, less on refilling time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I recall when a Honda 450 was a big gun....

Single 400 is no lightweight for power and the 400 decently slippery - fine gas mileage at those speeds.....650 won't do that
Yes Sir the good ole days when 400 where mid sized bikes:D

I had a new RD400 D. (Two stroke )
My Buddy had a new CB400 4 .
He ate a lot of two stroke smoke from me off line :rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 400 is across the country and I have a broke down 650 here. I miss my 400 so much I will probably pay to have it shipped.

I have 2 motorcycles also but don't ride them as much as I do Burgman.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Surprising big bikes became an almost everyday routine. Sometimes guys go to all length with breaking traffic laws, like using exit ramps, shoulders, speeding over the limit to make themselves sure they are on a better bike :D

·
Registered
857 Posts
I love my 400 also. Great that you had a good days ride in Alabama. What are the temps over there?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Days are in the 60's now and sunny.
Monday was 70-something. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
At times like this, I have to say that I remember fondly the years I lived in Mobile - It was 32 on the morning ride this morning.
I've found that even riding two up with my wife I've rarely wished for more power than my B400 could provide. I'm astonished and amazed at what that bike can do.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I held 85+ for most of 70 miles a few months ago coming home from Vermont...no problem, even though I ran into the rev limiter. Only got ~50MPG, though. :(

·
Registered
252 Posts
I got on the 650 this week for the first time and felt that it was a bit bulky. Am not sure if that would be something you just get used to. The 400 seems lighter on its feet. Need to ride it around to see if it is something I could manage in tight downtown traffic.

Saw the Strom as well. Very nice looking bike but a Burgman is what I want.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Did you try the new 650 or the previous one?

·
Registered
252 Posts
It was a 2009 Executive 650.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts