Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All!

This last weekend, I went to the Chicago Motorcycle show and took a look at the RAM mounting system at Cycle Gadgets (Cyclegadgets.com).

The RAM system they suggeted for the Burgie was to attach to the brake reservoir (HB-1, HB-2). Just remove the two bolts and place the mounts with included spacers and new bolts.

So far, I have installed the mounts to the bike (a double on the left and a single on the right). On the left side will be my GPS and a cup holder, the right for the radar detector.

The plastic on the handlebars will need to be trimmed a little back (1 1/8"). I have ordered from eBay a Dremel drill, waiting to cut the plastic.

Once the plastic is trimmed/cut and replaced on, I will post some pix!

Daryl

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't mount on top of the reservoir cover.

It mounts in front of the brake reservoir. You remove the 2 screws that hold the brake assembly to the handlebar and place the RAM mount and screws back in.

Hopefully, there will be pictures less than a week (waiting for the Dremel)

Daryl

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Daryl

Thank you for sharing your RAM solution with us (part numbers would be good for those that wish to adopt).

From a purely mechanical perspective I think it is an excellent solution. But and there always is one - you have really had to butcher those handlebar covers! :shock: How much is it going to cost you to return the bike to stock - my guess over a $100!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Norman,

If I was to sell the Burgie, it would be as is; after all, I couldn't remove the Utopia backrest without leaving holes in the seat.

Cutting the plastic on the handlebars covers actually turned out better than I thought. I first was planning on removing all the plastic from the RAM on forward. After looking at the RAM mounted to the handlebars, I tried for the cutting the plastic around the RAM. I am glad I tried that!

On my photos link, I have the part numbers, here they are for here....
HB-1 - Brake Reservoir One Ball
HB-2 - Brake Reservoir Two Balls
SHORTARM - Two RAM Short Mounting Arms
Standard 2-1/2" Round base - Mounted to Radar Detector Plate
Compact (2-7/16" x 1-5/16") base - Mounted to GPS Holder

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What did you use to cut the handlebar covers?

Janine

·
Registered
250 Posts
I managed to mount my StreetPilot III using a simple RAM ball mount that clamps around the handlebar underneath the handlebar shrouds. This solution requires minimal cutting of the shrouds.

I took a few pictures which can be viewed here.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My concern would be how secure is it being that the weight is on one side of the bracket or is the whole unit resting on the handle bar cover to give some support as well, have you thought while you are riding about vibration when you hit bad road or bumps. That is why I choose the middle of the handle bar to mount my garmin as it evenly spreads out the weight, (see photo) http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/My-Custom-Burg-650?page=2

PS: NormanB a new set of handle bar cover was $42 if you re use the name tag in the middle. New name tag cost $35.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mounting off the handlebar plastic

I went for yet a different approach to mounting a GPS using a RAM system on a Burgman 650. It involves supporting the whole thing from the plastic cover not the handlebar, so there are only two small holes drilled in half the handlebar cover ($18 to replace if you want to return it to factor condition). In the two years since I installed the mount, I have never had a problem, nor ever had to even tighten the base to the scoot. Darn good system RAM makes, regardless of how you mount it.

Here's a link to a January 2004 discussion which details what I did. Never did take any pictures. Have to do that some day.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=365&highlight=ram

·
Registered
250 Posts
burg650 said:
My concern would be how secure is it being that the weight is on one side of the bracket ...
That was also my concern, to be honest Roger, but a dummy run on the Burger minus the shrouds showed me that the geometry was fine, even for the SP III which is on the hefty side.

In short, it's a secure setup. :) The RAM clamp will not budge once it's been sufficiently tightened. The setup doesn't come into contact with the bar pad either.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have actually recently upgraded from the SportTrak Color to a RoadMate 700.

Using the RAM mounts, RoadMate 700, Radar Detector and the cup holder, all held incredibly tight during a last weekend test run. Also, there was no problem with any balance problem with these items attached to the handlebars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts