Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. Just picked up my 2005 650. What a fun ride...

I would like to purchase the RAM kit for the bike. Does anyone have any experience with locking knob and a reservoir cover mount in terms of whether to not it would fit (the openings on the RAK base align well with the two screw holes omg the reservoir cap?

RAM® Offset Reservoir Cover Ball Base

~ Tony

·
Registered
452 Posts
Good topic! I'm interested in this subject as well. I really want to get my phone mounted up on my handlebar area somewhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I emailed manufacturer and they sent me a detailed diagram with measurement of the mount. I made a template of the top of the reservoir and based on the template that was sent, it makes a great fit. Last night, I ordered 2 of them (one for each side) and a bunch of other things. Here's the list of items I ordered. OK Maybe a bit overboard, but the shipping was ~$17, so I wanted to add as many things as I thought I could use in the short term. The only thing I can see missing is MAYBE a GoPro mount, but don't think I will have much use for that, but I will have the option of connecting at least four different mounts on the bike. For now, I only bought the large one for my iPhone.

Here's what I figured out in terms of alignment between the mount and the 2015 650 reservoir.

I received email notification this morning with shipment info--so that was pretty quick.

FWIW: I compared pricing between Cycle World, Amazon and Ram. Interestingly enough, RAM was the cheapest.

·
Registered
452 Posts
When you mount it, let me know what you think about it. I'm likely going to go down the same path. Maybe before doing it, I should look to see how to route power to that area. Actually, my bike came with a GPS unit mounted in the center of the handlebars. It is tapping into power. I could just tap into that power. I don't prefer to cut into factory wiring. But aftermarket wiring, I don't mind making swiss cheese out of it.

Thanks SilentP.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The Ram Mount on a Burgman is a no-brainer. That mounting plate fits both the 400 and the 650, and installation will take maybe five minutes if you take your time. You might want to put some LockTite on the bolts when you insert them.

You only really the first, third and fourth items on your list. I'm not sure what you plan to do with the second item, and I'm not familiar with the fifth. Has never seemed necessary.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Ram Mount on a Burgman is a no-brainer. That mounting plate fits both the 400 and the 650, and installation will take maybe five minutes if you take your time. You might want to put some LockTite on the bolts when you insert them.

You only really the first, third and fourth items on your list. I'm not sure what you plan to do with the second item, and I'm not familiar with the fifth. Has never seemed necessary.
Hey DogBoy. The second (Add-A-Ball) is to add an additional ball to the side of the stock socket arm. For me this buys me the flexibility if needed. I know...maybe overkill since I am already buying two bases. Doubling up on the second item will allow me to add up to four items on the kit (two on each side). I am just starting off with the iPhone adapter. I plan on adding at least a GoPro to the mix soon.

The fifth item is to prevent someone from stealing (by removal) any of the parts that make up the kit.

Thanks for the Loctite suggestion. I bought the blue (middle of road thread locker).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey DogBoy. The second (Add-A-Ball) is to add an additional ball to the side of the stock socket arm. For me this buys me the flexibility if needed. I know...maybe overkill since I am already buying two bases. Doubling up on the second item will allow me to add up to four items on the kit (two on each side). I am just starting off with the iPhone adapter. I plan on adding at least a GoPro to the mix soon.

The fifth item is to prevent someone from stealing (by removal) any of the parts that make up the kit.

Thanks for the Loctite suggestion. I bought the blue (middle of road thread locker).
Hello, and great timing on this thread! I have a 2009 650Exec and had removed my handlebar plastics thinking I would need to attach to the bars themselves. Hope I can remember how to get them back together! :)

Please post pics when your done, and how happy you are w the set up.

I want a phone holder & charge port, and a cup holder. Would love to see what others have done. Also want to find a good bag for the hump. Saw a guy w one, but cant remember what he said he used.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I want a phone holder & charge port
The phone holder has been discussed many times in this forum. Most riders seem to go with the Ram Mount on the brake fluid reservoir. Simple to install and completely reliable.

Installing a charge port on the AN650 is a little more complicated than on the AN400.
  • Acquire a 12v splitter, preferably one with USB ports included, with a short plug so that you can close the glovebox door with it plugged in.
  • Remove the Front Panel from the dash. You have to remove the Handlebar Cover first, but you have mastered that already. The Front Panel is not difficult to remove; just consult LeDude's Burgman Center for instructions. (If you have not already become familiar with that site, bookmark it because it will become your Burgman 650 Bible.)
  • Drill a 1/2" hole toward the rear of the top of the Front Box (Part #6 in attached picture). You might wish to get a rubber grommet to insert into it so that sharp edges don't damage any wires you run through.
  • Take a charge cable (iOS Lightning or USB-C, as the case may be) of appropriate length and run it through the hole and plug it into the 12v splitter, described above. Route the rest of the cable to where you want it to pop out in front of the gauge cluster and can reach the location of your phone mount. Make sure to leave enough slack so that it can reach regardless of the position of the handlebars.
  • Plug the 12v splitter into the 12v plug in the glovebox. You might wish to use duct tape or wire clips to prevent the wire from interfering with the opening and closing of the door.
  • Reinstall the Front Panel and Handlebar Covers and you're ready to go!
I actually have TWO wires running through the hole, the other being the power line for my aftermarket, heated handgrips.

One major benefit of this arrangement is that power is cut when the key is removed (or in the "Off" position), which means the phone and/or handgrips will not run the battery down if you leave them On.

Don't be afraid to give this a shot. I'm not particularly inclined mechanically, but it's hard to go wrong with LeDude at your back. If worse comes to worst, you can always come back here to ask for help, but I'm betting that you won't need to do so.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The phone holder has been discussed many times in this forum. Most riders seem to go with the Ram Mount on the brake fluid reservoir. Simple to install and completely reliable.

Installing a charge port on the AN650 is a little more complicated than on the AN400.
  • Acquire a 12v splitter, preferably one with USB ports included, with a short plug so that you can close the glovebox door with it plugged in.
  • Remove the Front Panel from the dash. You have to remove the Handlebar Cover first, but you have mastered that already. The Front Panel is not difficult to remove; just consult LeDude's Burgman Center for instructions. (If you have not already become familiar with that site, bookmark it because it will become your Burgman 650 Bible.)
  • Drill a 1/2" hole toward the rear of the top of the Front Box (Part #6 in attached picture). You might wish to get a rubber grommet to insert into it so that sharp edges don't damage any wires you run through.
  • Take a charge cable (iOS Lightning of USB-C, as the case may be) of appropriate length and run it down into the hole and plug it into the 12v splitter, described above. Route the rest of the cable to where you want it to pop out in front of the gauge cluster and can reach the location of your phone mount. Make sure to leave enough slack so that it can reach regardless of the position of the handlebars.
  • Plug the 12v splitter into the 12v plug in the glovebox. You might wish to use duct tape or wire clips to prevent the wire from interfering with the opening and closing of the door.
I actually have TWO wires running through the hole, the other being the power line for my aftermarket, heated handgrips.

One major benefit of this arrangement is that power is cut when the key is removed (or in the "Off" position), which means the phone and/or handgrips will not run the battery down if you leave them On.

Don't be afraid to give this a shot. I'm not particularly inclined mechanically, but it's hard to go wrong with LeDude at your back. If worse comes to worst, you can always come back here to ask for help, but I'm betting that you won't need to do so.
GREAT INFO!!! Give's me courage to try. :)

I have done a simple extension to the cigarette lighter on mine (at least for now) and plan on running the wire though the glove compartment top to the handlebar mount. I have found a 90 degree USB adapter where I have inserted the iPhone charging cable. For now keep the iPhone in the glove compartment o keep it charged, but when the RAM kit arrives, I will have to try your very well written instructions.

·
Registered
6 Posts

• Take a charge cable (iOS Lightning or USB-C, as the case may be) of appropriate length and run it through the hole and plug it into the 12v splitter, described above. Route the rest of the cable to where you want it to pop out in front of the gauge cluster and can reach the location of your phone mount. Make sure to leave enough slack so that it can reach regardless of the position of the handlebars.

Thank you for the great info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts