Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a new owner of a 2007 Burgman 650 (my first Burgman) and would like to mount my TomTom so that I can venture confidently into uncharted territory. My question is should I go with the long, medium, or short arm?

I have an aftermarket Givi windscreen and my concern is that if I go with the long arm the gps could make contact with the windscreen if I turn the handlebars too far in either direction. However, the long arm is what I would prefer to have because it would mean that I don't have to look down as far to see my GPS screen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use a short arm connected to a ball mount that is on my left brake reservoir, and it works fine. I have both the Medium and Long arms too, and I prefer the short over the others

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I use the short arm and my reasoning was, that as I was using Motorcycle Larry's reservoir cover, it would put less strain on the mechanical fixings if the load was reduced. Given the GPS is a fixed weight the only way to reduce the load is to minimise the effective length, so best achieved with a short arm and kept as near to vertical as possible.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I also use the motorcycle larry's mount on the left reservoir. I bought the two hole plate and should have just bought the single... I use the short arm with the ram-mount garmin mount... works great... I hard wired the garmin by using the 12v car plug,,, opening up the plug and taking the two wires to the accessory plug... I guess it has a step down to 5 volts somewhere... I just use my garmin nuvi 350 and have never had any problems with weather... If I get caught in rain,,, I just put a baggie over it with a rubberband to hold it... I was going to put another plate on the other side and mount my camera there... I have decided to get a Helmet Cam instead... that is getting off subject and I will check the search engine to see what other members thoughtt...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
acw032 said:
Hi everyone,

I am a new owner of a 2007 Burgman 650 (my first Burgman) and would like to mount my TomTom so that I can venture confidently into uncharted territory. My question is should I go with the long, medium, or short arm?

I have an aftermarket Givi windscreen and my concern is that if I go with the long arm the gps could make contact with the windscreen if I turn the handlebars too far in either direction. However, the long arm is what I would prefer to have because it would mean that I don't have to look down as far to see my GPS screen.

Well..since I own a 400 and not a 650 - not exactly sure if it is the same - BUT I have a Givi winscreen AND a TomTom Rider GPS mounted on the brake reservoir and have no problems......!! BUT - I would think that the longer the Ram arm is - the more vibration you might get! And I am not sure what the difference in length is between a short and long arm.....BUT I am sure that it is no more than a few inches - so what is the difference.???? Another solution is to use the Bluetooth with an earpiece........and that way - you dont need to look at the screen - at all.! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I'd say go for the short arm. I bought the long one and regret it. If you can I would suggest getting the one that rotates in the middle which gives you more flexibility. I think it's on Motorcycle Larry's site.

Ray

·
Registered
404 Posts
I use a short arm with a Ram ball mount mounted below the mirror perch on the 400. The arm i use has a universal joint so that you have a multitude of directions the arm can be used in. No issues with the windshield.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts