Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 2006 Burgman from a friend but I find the seat rather low. I do not like putting my feet forward but am cramped sitting in a normal position. If I could raise the seat even an inch it would help. The few aftermarket seats I could find were either the same height or lower. Anybody know where I could get a taller seat?

If a complete seat isn't possible what about a pad that is well fitted - anybody know of one?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Get an Air Hawk 2 seat pad. Not only does it raise the seat, it will make your butt happier and endure longer rides ;)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Get an Air Hawk 2 seat pad. Not only does it raise the seat, it will make your butt happier and endure longer rides ;)
+1. it can give you until 1.5-2inches higher on the taught settings although not recommended for comfort, which its .5 inch.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
+1. it can give you until 1.5-2inches higher on the taught settings although not recommended for comfort, which its .5 inch.
+1. A member in my riding group, and here on BUSA, got an Airhawk pillion seat for his wife, who is all of 4'11", maybe. He Blows it up fully so she can see over his head when they ride together. Gives her a couple inches height. Seems to work well for them.

I would not fill it completely though, it would negate a lot of the cushioning affect. Good luck.

·
Registered
739 Posts
One of these will work.. http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/category/Comfort-Max-Gel-Seat-Pads-2

X large will do Ihave one for my stock seat . It's super comfortable and about an inch in height.. but I installed a Corbin seat a few weeks ago .. so it may be excess.. I kind of want to see if the Corbin stays comfortable on long rides..I have just used the Corbin for an hour each way so far.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get an Air Hawk 2 seat pad.
I will check into that. Thanks.

My choice would be a Bead rider but the scoots are not really designed to ride feet down.

You can lock yourself in against the butt rest ( or even better a back rest ) with your feet forward.
I don't care for beads, thank you anyway. They feel like some oriental torture to me.

I can't stand having my feet forward, I feel like I am out of control. I have ridden my Zuma 50 scooter in the straight up position for 5+ years and never had a problem. It is also very uncomfortable to have my legs forward with my mending leg. I shattered my tibia and fibula two years ago and certain positions make it hurt - forward but not up is one of them, that and hanging loose like sitting in a drafting chair.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That makes heavy braking on your Burgman a lot more difficult, with only your arms to brace yourself. I can grip the tank with my legs on m/c's but the Burgman made me rethink that.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Zuma is a city scoot designed for upright ( my kid had one )

The Burgmans are not.

I do ride with one foot down from time to time which could work with the sore leg.

If you can shift okay an upright bike like the CB500x might work. I like upright as well.
My KLR650 is a very nice position but no way I could do distance.

Many riders complain about the seat being too high on the BMW but that may work in your favour.

but it's early in the design and not cheap but that looks like the seating position you are looking for..

I enjoyed the demo on the GT650 - still prefer the Burgman.

You'd have to ask Burgman 400 riders about riding flat foot down .....doesn't work for me at all on the 650.

You could try out the new 200 as well.
I think it's a little shorter than the 400 and might work upright

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A new bike is out of the question as I do not have the funds for it and I refuse to go into debt. I would consider a Burgman 200{$5000} or even a Zuma 125{$3500} if I had the cash. I have been looking for months and months for a good used ride but they are few and far between with the few that do show up either being junk or overpriced{one guy actually wanted twice what KBB listed as retail!}. I am also not a fan of buying new since you loose so much the instant you ride off the dealer's lot.

In an emergency braking situation I could put my feet forward if needed. A friend of mine has a 125cc scoot and I can ride it full tilt and brake hard with my feet flat on the deck, no problem. I wouldn't be riding the Burgman any faster than that around town and I still am not sure if I would ever go for highway rides.

My doctor has actually forbidden me to ride a motorcycle{he allowed scooters since I don't really use my leg and the deck protects it better than foot pegs}. I also have problems tilting my foot up and that would be needed for shifting. Mobility in that direction is limited and if I hit the damaged nerves I get a pain from my toe up to where the break is{feels similar to when you hit your funny bone}.

In looking at pictures online it appears that 2/3 of Burgman riders have their feet forward and 1/3 have them flat so it must be possible. Interesting is that most other maxi-scooters have a much larger number of riders with their feet flat.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If you are referring to the pictures of clueless motor "journalists" "testing" scooters, it is just one more point of evidence of their cluelessness regarding riding scooters.

Feet down on a Burgman is like sitting with spread legs on a normal motorcycle, you're just along for the ride.

Feet forward and locked against the butt stop, you are a part of the scooter, like when you grip the tank with your thighs on a normal motorcycle.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Seat pads

I am looking at buying a 2006 Burgman from a friend but I find the seat rather low. I do not like putting my feet forward but am cramped sitting in a normal position. If I could raise the seat even an inch it would help. The few aftermarket seats I could find were either the same height or lower. Anybody know where I could get a taller seat?

If a complete seat isn't possible what about a pad that is well fitted - anybody know of one?
I have a Comfort-Max Gel Pad on my 650. It raised the seat about two inches. I didn't buy it to raise the seat but for the comfort on long trips. I feel I have the perfect fit. It's the "large 14" X 11" X 8" covered with their black sheepskin cover. I removed the mounting straps as the cushion has a non-slip bottom.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I have an airhawk that I'll never use and one or two backrests that just don't work for me. I'd love to sell them - please PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
n looking at pictures online it appears that 2/3 of Burgman riders have their feet forward and 1/3 have them flat so it must be possible. Interesting is that most other maxi-scooters have a much larger number of riders with their feet flat.
that is just stupid journalists - not actual riders. The Burgman is designed for feet forward.
So is the BMW tho it's perhaps a bit more forgiving of feet down.

What about a 200 Kymco

http://www.kymco.ca/onRoad_Like200i.php

Likely about $3k and you get a 2 year warranty.

The Burgman 400 is far more than you need for around town.

The Sym200 might be a good choice as well

http://www.symhd200.com

Decent features and price

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If you are referring to the pictures of clueless motor "journalists" "testing" scooters, it is just one more point of evidence of their cluelessness regarding riding scooters.

Feet down on a Burgman is like sitting with spread legs on a normal motorcycle, you're just along for the ride.
:confused: WHAT? Most{if not all} motorcycle journalists are experienced riders, some are former racers. Yes some of the pictures, maybe even most, were from professional sources. But in my mind that only convinces me more, not less. Professionals also wear proper gear unlike say the guy in this picture.

The dude is wearing flip flops! That is pure stupidity for riding attire. I would disregard any advice from this guy because of his total lack of intelligence.

Also feet down is a more proper position for control with feet back being even better - thus the reason why race bikes have rear sets! Feet forward may be more comfortable but it isn't the best way. It may work for some people and not for others. And for me it is out of the question! Thus the reason why I was asking about finding a way to raise the seat height so my legs would be more comfortable while flat on the deck{which is there by design so obviously Suzuki intended it as an option!}.

I don't even know what to say about the other statement. If it proves impossible for me to ride with feet down then I would not be buying it. I am working on arranging a time to test ride the Burgman but the owner's schedule is busy right now.

that is just stupid journalists - not actual riders. The Burgman is designed for feet forward.
So is the BMW tho it's perhaps a bit more forgiving of feet down.

What about a 200 Kymco

Likely about $3k and you get a 2 year warranty.

The Burgman 400 is far more than you need for around town.

The Sym200 might be a good choice as well

Decent features and price
In response to the first part - read my reply to Erik above.
In response to the second - go back and read my last post! I can't afford those! They are also out of my immediate reach, the closest Kymco dealer is 200 miles away. The closest SYM dealer is even further. I am looking at the Burgman just because a friend has one for sale. Before he told me about it I never even considered one.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
WHAT? Most{if not all} motorcycle journalists are experienced riders, some are former racers. Yes some of the pictures, maybe even most, were from professional sources. But in my mind that only convinces me more, not less. Professionals also wear proper gear unlike say the guy in this picture.
Most if not all motorcycle journalist don't know squat about scooters....just read the reviews...there is hardly one that says anything useful.

You're in a Burgman forum with world wide riders many with multiple decades of riding experience - generally we have a pretty good idea of the machines and how they are designed to be ridden and how stupid journalists are about scooters especially maxis.

What a squid photo has to do with anything is beyond me.....riders choose their own gear and risk...so what.

Are you actually implying that we all are riding the Burgmans unsafely and wrong???.....:rolleyes: That we should see how the "professionals" ride them????

What you have ridden is a city scoot with upright seating...that's not what any of the Burgman's are.
What I've posted up as ideas are city scoots that fit your needs for upright seating.....the Burgman 400 may not and I certainly would feel unsafe riding it that way.

You would be on a machine capable of 90 mph perched on a stool.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most if not all motorcycle journalist don't know squat about scooters....just read the reviews...there is hardly one that says anything useful.

Are you actually implying that we all are riding the Burgmans unsafely and wrong???.....:rolleyes: That we should see how the "professionals" ride them????
I have read many scooter reviews from many different sources and never found any that sounded like they did not know scooters. BTW, I have been in the market for a larger scoot for over a year now and have read almost every review I could find on scoots 125cc-500cc. So I guess you are seeing something I am not.

I am not implying that you or anyone is wrong with what works for you! I do know some of physics however and it is true that feet back-body forward gives the best stability and control and that is why it is used for racing. That position is not however very comfortable especially for stop and go or for long trips. Legs forward may be very comfortable for some and if my leg wasn't messed up I might find it so too.

But I very much dislike people telling me that I am wrong for wanting to ride with my feet flat and that it can't be done. I brought up the photos to show it possible to ride with your feet flat on the foot deck that Suzuki clearly made for the Burgmans. I even found one picture of a guy with his feet back on a Burgman!

Although the Burgman may be capable of doing 90mph I will never have it that fast! First off it is illegal and second very dangerous.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have a Comfort-Max Gel Pad on my 650. It raised the seat about two inches. I didn't buy it to raise the seat but for the comfort on long trips. I feel I have the perfect fit. It's the "large 14" X 11" X 8" covered with their black sheepskin cover. I removed the mounting straps as the cushion has a non-slip bottom.
I have an airhawk that I'll never use and one or two backrests that just don't work for me. I'd love to sell them - please PM me if you're interested.
Ride it however is comfortable for you. The AirHawk sounds like a good idea.
Thank you all and I will consider these options.

If I do get it I think I may just have the seat redone at an upholstery shop and have them add a little to the seat.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You can also compromise: One foot down and the other forward.

The Burgman is sadly lacking rearsets for leaning forward, but then again, the fairing is not designed for the low handlebars to go with the rearset foot pegs.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts