Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2003 Burgman 650. After owning a 2013 Burgman 650, for whatever reason, I feel the 2003 is better. Perhaps at almost 70, my memory is failing.:unsure: In my riding life I have owned more and varied bikes than I can recall. And running the gamut from Harley's to BMW's and my still being able to jam gears with the best of them...I feel the Burgman is truly an awesome "best of both worlds"! Notably, having enough power to get out of it's own way and ALWAYS being in the right gear! It's perfect for mindless running around!
My previous bike...

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Automotive lighting

Anyway, I was on this forum with the 2013 and am back learning with the 2003 version. With all the info I have gathered here, I have done what I can to prolong the 2003 "problem child's" life and thought, in my boredom I'd share some photos...
Original spline adapter removed to make way for the acclaimed "Polish Adapter" (Thanks to San_Diego_650). I also have a couple of new stopper bolts on standby, the original is still excellent condition.
Auto part Cylinder Metal Titanium Cable

Oxford heated grips installed...what the heck took me so long to discover heated grips!!!
Automotive tire Plant Automotive design Reflex camera Camera lens

The FI switch mounted in such a fashion that I can switch it on the fly...
Hood Automotive exterior Vehicle door Tints and shades Personal luxury car

A welded steel rack bought from a gentleman in Kyiv, Ukraine. I was a bit worried with all that is going on but, I figured if it didn't make it, I'd consider it a donation. It made it rather quickly actually.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

For all my thrift store runs, I decided I needed more storage so, a Givi V56 filled that need...
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

It was always a struggle to find the valve stem and/or remove the front tire on such a front end heavy bike so having a paddock stand found on a Goodwill run laying around, I devised a pair of "spools" to easily lift the front end...the spools take the place of the lower caliper mount bolts.
Office supplies Writing implement Cylinder Gas Font

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Fuel tank Automotive tire

Ed

· Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Cool, safe riding to you!
With bike on its center stand, what is weight of the front end?
I have a 2008 AN400, on the CS, you can lift the front end with one hand, just wondering

· Registered
1,910 Posts
It was always a struggle to find the valve stem and/or remove the front tire on such a front end heavy bike so having a paddock stand found on a Goodwill run laying around, I devised a pair of "spools" to easily lift the front end...the spools take the place of the lower caliper mount bolts.
I must be missing something here. :unsure:

I can see how this will work for locating the valve stem, but not so much wheel (tire) removal.
To remove the front wheel, the set procedure is to REMOVE the brake calipers,(and therefore your "spools") , from the fork legs.
If the calipers are left on, then refitting the wheel is an awkward operation ? :unsure:

Adapters are available that support the machine via the base of the fork legs.

Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Crankset
Wheel Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory Rim

· Premium Member
9,807 Posts
a plain old scissor jack at the base of the forks will do the same, and is cheaper and easier ukp on center stand , lock the forks, stable and easy , swmbo says it's the easiest way she has lifted my 400 and 650 an she hates tire changes, gits her all nasty.

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,203 Posts
If the calipers are left on, then refitting the wheel is an awkward operation ? :unsure:
The wheel assy will not come off/go on, without removing calipers. To lift front wheel for tire change, etc., is simpler/safer to use a scissor jack under scooter and a piece/length of wood, you will need approx. 4 inches of ground to clear fender.
I use a Toyota scissor jack, I got for $5 like new, at local auto salvage yard., find a frame pipe or suitable hard point, etc., for jack point.

· Premium Member
2,674 Posts
I think removing one caliper will git 'er done, the tire won't fit through 2 calipers

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, regarding wheel removal, while I haven't done it yet, my guess is I can remove the caliper and just install a nut on the spool and tighten it to the fork lug. A benefit of this method, in my mind, is that it holds the front end steady with no flopping around.

Ed

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,203 Posts
" Well, regarding wheel removal, while I haven't done it yet, my guess is I can remove the caliper and just install a nut on the spool and tighten it to the fork lug."

I guess it would work somewhat, but you won't have enough height/clearance to slide wheel out without removing front fender :unsure:.

Just a PSA from on next statements!

I never liked using any lifting device on the fork legs in general on motorcycles in my lifetime of working on bikes, several reasons, it pushes wheel assy up against the bike reducing workspace, once you remove the axle you're sitting on "independent" fork springs not very stable, you can't turn forks, need several adapters, etc., for different bikes, IAC you should only use a fork stand with a center-stand or a rear wheel-stand in place. Honestly, I found it useful to check wheel or brake disk/rotor run-out and bearings, otherwise it sat in the corner of the lesser used tools. An overhead hoist with several well-placed lifting straps was my favorite and/or a floor jack, etc. There's several "Sport/Superbike/Track capable" street bikes specifically designed to accept and need to use these stands, in most cases no need to bother with brake calipers, etc.!!

· Registered
1,593 Posts
The wheel assy will not come off/go on, without removing calipers.
I think removing one caliper will git 'er done, the tire won't fit through 2 calipers
really? I've removed/reinstalled the front wheel on my 650 and 4 or 5 times on my 400 without removing the brake calipers. installation isn't difficult. putting a 2X12 under the center stands helps get a bit more vertical clearance. don't pull the front brake lever when the wheel is off... :whistle:

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Wheel

(can't find the photo of my 650 with the front wheel off and calipers still in place...must have deleted it)

· Registered
1,910 Posts
The wheel assy will not come off/go on, without removing calipers

I've removed/reinstalled the front wheel on my 650 and 4 or 5 times on my 400 without removing the brake calipers.
(y)
I realise it comes out with calipers in situ.
But I find it easier to replace caliper/pad gap over in situ disc, rather than threading discs back between x2 calipers. YMMV.

Mitch has a video illustrating just such on the 400 - slightly tight, judging by the "glitch" in playback.(link)

For the 650 , LeDude goes for the workshop manual method.(link) ie. Remove calipers. (Again YMMV).

· Premium Member
2,674 Posts

Front wheel might come off with both calipers in place, seems to me it's easier to replace with one off 🤔 But it's been a while

Reactions: Bluestrom13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts