Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're getting ready for another trip, which will be 2 short days up, and one 7 hour day back. We've been lucky enough to elude rain all but once, so I have a question or two for the big touring guys.
We both have good rain gear, but I have very little experience on wet roads, with that, if visability is ok, how fast do you go? I believe I knocked it down from 60mph to about 50mph the one time we got caught.
If the weather gets severe, say, lightning, do you stop? Or it would have to be heavy rain and windy before you would stop?
When you stop, what are a few tips on where to 'sit it out'.
Just looking for some foul weather tips I guess.
Thanks,
Mike.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I stop when lightning is banging around, the rain makes me a bit more cautious and I tend to slow down. It really depends on the intensity and conditions at any given time. Just think a bit , if you are uncomfortable stop.

As a former road racer I learned that you can still maintain a good pace in the rain , you just have to concentrate more and make every move real smoothly

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'll generally ride through anything short of a micro-burst or near tornado - been in both as sometimes I feel safer staying traffic near a sensible driver than trying to pull over unless it's a rest stop or some such.

I find it's hard to be dry unless you really are careful with the seals around the neck and front.
I give up on hands and feet - just let them dry tho I got some new RedHat hunting boots I'm very pleased with for riding and they look like they might stay dry.

I've given up on breathable....it wets out and leaks...so it's PVC all the way - hi-Viz iCon works very well if I seal the neck - even better if I put the hood up.

and I can be seen. Durable - on my 4th season and I use it for warmth over my mesh jacket.

If the boots work I'll try for a glove solution.

On sale just now.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Uplander-II-8-GORETEX-Waterproof-Hunting-Boots-for-Men/product/12092909514954/

Really comfie and come right up to my knee armor yet look like normal footwear. Shooting down turns me into a dwarf but you get the idea - don't look like riding boots and good and snug seal around the top - well designed - they are not insulated so should be good for me in Aus.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have Klim gear, which is suppose to be gauranteed to keep you dry, and I have some ARC Foul Weather gloves that worked ok, but if you took your hand out, it wasn't going back in with the liner they have in them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should dress up rain proof and it depends on your capacity and the situation of the weather. Usually I stop when I feel uncomfortable to drive and most important thing before you start your journey you should to take information about next 2 days weather condition.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I went on a group ride Sunday and it poured on us. All types of bikes and many levels of experience were along and all stayed safe. The keys are visibility and the painted lines on the road. When your visibility gets to bad to see stop and the painted lines are slippery try to stay off them. Mostly the tires should still have 80% or so grip except for on fresh wet pavement. I got a video of the ride in the Road Stories section under North Georgia Moto-Vloggers Meet Up if you want to see what it looks to ride in the rain.
Good Luck with your trip!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I bought some bright yellow Frogg Toggs from Bass Pro Shop. Completely waterproof and super high visibility. I ride through all kinds of rain, short of hurricane. Your tires will do a good job of gripping the road if you have adequate tread.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I keep looking at the forecast and it's a 30% chance of thunderstorms, which I know we'll be in that spot at that time. I guess "Storms" bothers me more then rain. I also noticed my front tire is quite cupped and worn (9500 mi). We will be going, and we have a few days extra, so we can wait it out if the day is bad before we even get going.
Anyone use RainX on their windshield? Will it damage it? I've always used Pledge.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
RainX works well. Just buff it in good after applying.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
if you are touring and it is really heavy rain and your schedule allows - pull over at the first bar and stay there until it stops.;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lot's of great advice. I'd rather ride is a normal rain than a really strong, buffeting cross wind. I'll toss a couple more tips out.

- The roads are the worst when it first starts raining. The oil on the road mixes with the rain and can reduce your traction. For me, that's a good time to stop for a cup of coffee. After it rains a bit, it washes the oil off and the traction is good.

- Watch out for manhole covers and steel plates on the road (and paint stripes - somebody already mentioned that). Not a problem when going straight, but if you hit one on a turn, it can cause a bit of sliding.

- The cars may not see you as well as you see them. When it's raining, I find I can see better on the bike than in the car. On the bike, the windshield causes the rain to go over the helmet visor so you have a clear view. In the car your looking through the rain on the windshield.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
501 Posts
A tarp is good to carry, with rope or homemade hoods. Something you can set- up in. Second, then get under it....use it twice in a hail storm roll in on me

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot for all the tips. Fortunately we didn't run into the predicted storms, but it will happen someday, so this is all good info.
Mike.
Ps- The tarp idea makes me think. I wonder if I put the bike on the center stand, clicked on the flashers, and shoved the handle of an umbrella down my jacket, if that would work?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts