Premium Member
11,296 Posts
But lemon pledge works OK! :wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another great save!

Thanks for the helpful info. Glad I decided to wait for these replies before applying it. The pledge sounds interesting. Norm, do you smell the lemony scent in the breeze? :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Nope. But I've been told it does attract bees. It also has been reported it builds up a film over time. I use it on my blue 400 and haven't noticed any build up yet. Could be I keep scrubbing it off when I hand wash the bike.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
There is a Lemon Pledge thread or two in the forum - just use the 'Search' feature ("Lemon" would probably work fine). I went back to using the "Honda cleaner & polish" product. Works fine on windscreen, helmet visor, everything. I'm happy with it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Another great save!

NYBubba said:
Thanks for the helpful info. Glad I decided to wait for these replies before applying it. The pledge sounds interesting. Norm, do you smell the lemony scent in the breeze? :D
Dunno - maybe if you did the inside of your visor it may 'linger longer' to enable you to get a whiff! :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
...I went back to using the "Honda cleaner & polish" product. Works fine on windscreen, helmet visor, everything. I'm happy with it.
Yep; me, too. It costs a bit more than "general purpose" products, but why pinch pennies when it comes to our beloved Burgmans.

On my most recent ride (3100 miles) I let the bugs build up on my windshield, just to see how thick they'd get; but I regularly used the Honda spray and a soft cloth I kept handy in the left glove box to keep my face shield clear. It works, it's expressly formulated for use on bikes, and it's available at most motorcycle shops.

·
Registered
34 Posts
RainX

I used Rain x on my visor for some 6 months and it works a treat bugs come off easily and rain hardly sticks, but then I noticed it going yellow, then it started to flake. It builds up to a thick film over a period of time, then the flaking. Nothing for it but to bin the visor and put on a new one, and with visors costing almost a third of the helmet price thats one expence I could do without, and on a shield thats very expensive!!!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: RainX

phil thunder said:
[snipped] Nothing for it but to bin the visor and put on a new one, and with visors costing almost a third of the helmet price thats one expence I could do without, and on a shield thats very expensive!!!
Too true Blue! :wink:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hey guys & gals; I have a really neat solution that cleans windshields and visors. Works every time, and usually costs nothing: WATER. :lol: Or if you want to spend big time, use Windex. Been using that for years on my plane windshield which is lexan and it seems to soften bugs better...at least faster...than water. Use it on my scoot and visor as well.

If you want to experiment with something to reduce fogging inside your visor try rubbing a dab of shaving cream on and wiping clean with a soft cloth before take off. If in doubt, try a spot on your bathroom mirror before showering.

·
Registered
149 Posts
ted clement said:
If you want to experiment with something to reduce fogging inside your visor try rubbing a dab of shaving cream on and wiping clean with a soft cloth before take off. If in doubt, try a spot on your bathroom mirror before showering.
When I used to scuba dive we used plain old saliva to prevent fogging :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Rubbing the inside of your visor with a raw potato also works. Question is... how disgusting an odor can you tolerate inside that full face helmet...

I got caught in the mountains in mixed snow and rain one time. Face shield was fogging up real bad & I was really concerned about crashing. Stopped at a grocery store in a tiny village and bought one potato. Cut it up and rubbed the inside of my faceshield with it. It worked great. In a situation like that, smelling raw potato for a few hundred miles was vastly better that riding blind. (I had read the tip in a motorcycle magazine that raw potato - or anything starchy, would work to prevent a visor from fogging.)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
So using the prior two posts, I should eat french fries then spit on my visor? :roll:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Raw fries would make me spit. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Apart from spitting raw chips (fries), some cooked ones aren't so good either, rainX is designed to stop rain balling on your visor of shield, this allowes it to run off without distorting your vision, especialy good at night under street lights or oncoming cagers with their fogs on. A side effect is it makes the visor etc easier to clean, nothing to do with fogging, though spitty chips come off easier. Just dont sneeze with your visor down while eating them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i used rain-x on my old cars and found that during night driving i had to contend with what looked like smears on the screen. and you can't just get rain-x off. i think it's silicone based. it can be removed but on a plastic type of material i don't really know if the remover will damage it.

most any type of car wax would do the job and plain ol; dish soap removes it fast. thats why you don't use dish soap on your car unless you plan on re waxing the car again.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
pauljo said:
I went back to using the "Honda cleaner & polish" product. Works fine on windscreen, helmet visor, everything. I'm happy with it.
Here's another vote for the Honda Spray... good stuff... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
NYBubba said:
Does anyone know if it safe to use Rain-X on the stock windshield? :shock:

There is RainX made for marine use that is designed for use on plastic windshields. I have used it with no problems on a variety of different windscreens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts