Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Thanks a lot for all the replies on my previous post about the golf bag . Well here is another question . I might have to drive quite frequently in the rain and I was a little worried about the rain getting on the windshield and not being able to see. The thing is the windshield is quite high and unadjustable on the 400 and so you cannot look over it . I know that the 650 has an adjustable windshield , would that be better? Is this an issue? Would I have trouble with the raindrops staying on the windshield?

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
You should not look "through it, but over it". The one you looked at, may have been an aftermarket shield.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Like Jim said, it's best if you are able to see over the windshield if you need to. Not only rain but other conditions can restrict your vision through it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Or clean the windshield with rain-x. Keeps the water beading up and rolling off great!

·
Registered
198 Posts
The only Rain-X I can find claims to be only for glass and not safe for plastic, can you buy one for plastic or does the glass one work without any problems?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Electric windshield, this another feature that make the 650 such fantastic machine, the electric windshield on 650 can be adjusted in 1 second to weather condition and your need, but also add little weiht and cost to bike.

Additional plus on 650 that add to fun factor and Burgie smile.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The only Rain-X I can find claims to be only for glass and not safe for plastic, can you buy one for plastic or does the glass one work without any problems?
Rain-X can yellow many plastic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well what if the Burgman you buy has an aftermarket shield that you cannot look over . How would you deal with the rain on the sheild and visibility ?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The Clearview windshield on my 650 is approved for Rain-X. That is the only plastic one that I know of where it is safe to use.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have had a windshield I had to look through. I would never have one again. Like itlives said they can be cut down. There is a Rain-X made for plastic but furniture polish, Pledge or any brand will work. Some people use Pledge or whatever on the hole bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys! Thanks a lot for all the replies on my previous post about the golf bag . Well here is another question . I might have to drive quite frequently in the rain and I was a little worried about the rain getting on the windshield and not being able to see. The thing is the windshield is quite high and unadjustable on the 400 and so you cannot look over it . I know that the 650 has an adjustable windshield , would that be better? Is this an issue? Would I have trouble with the raindrops staying on the windshield?
Sit on the bike in a relaxed riding position and have someone hold a straightedge from the tip of your nose to the windshield and mark the spot where the straightedge touches the shield with a piece of masking tape, wax crayon or grease pencil, NOT a permanent marker. The next step is to cut the shield down.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Well what if the Burgman you buy has an aftermarket shield that you cannot look over . How would you deal with the rain on the sheild and visibility ?
Cut the windshield down so that you can just see over the top of it is the best answer. You can put products on it that will help to shead rain but if you ride long enough and in varied weather conditions you will sooner or later get into one where you cannot see through the windshield.

The worst I had was when I topped a hill and road down into a valley in the early morning and the windshield immediately fogged over. No way you could see through it. It I had not been able to look over it I would have been in a pickle.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
From the Clearview Windshield website. They are available for all 650s through 2012 and 400s through 2006. "Can be Polished, Buffed, and is Safe to use Rain-X Original Clear Formula".

Also " We recommend Novus #1 Polish available through Clearview Shields, Rain-X Original Auto Glass Treatment (clear appearance), Honda Line Spray Cleaner or even Pledge Furniture Polish. Any pre-treatment must be applied in moderation to avoid excess build up."

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The cheapest place I've found is to order Plexus direct from the manufacturer.

$11.08/oz when you buy he case of 24 little ones (shipping included)
$2.19/oz when you buy he case of 12 of the 7oz size (shipping included)
$1.49/oz when you buy he case of 12 of the 13oz size (shipping included)

https://plexusdirect.com/order.html

·
Registered
104 Posts
3 things you can do.

1. Cut the windshield down (most economical way)

2. Get an airhawk and put it on your seat.. (it raises the seat so you can look over and your butt will be thankful)
Amazon.com: Airhawk Medium Cruiser Pad - 14in x 14in , Size: Md AH2MED: Automotive

3. Replace the windshield with a stock (last resort)

Whatever you decide, I hope it works for you. Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Cut the windshield down so that you can just see over the top of it is the best answer. You can put products on it that will help to shead rain but if you ride long enough and in varied weather conditions you will sooner or later get into one where you cannot see through the windshield.

The worst I had was when I topped a hill and road down into a valley in the early morning and the windshield immediately fogged over. No way you could see through it. It I had not been able to look over it I would have been in a pickle.
I've had that happen from hitting swarms of insects. Rain-X wouldn't help with that... Pledge wax made it a little easier to clean the windshield afterwards, though.

As soon as I realized what was happening (it was a run down a river canyon at dusk) I ducked behind the windshield and raised my head slightly as the top edge of the helmet visor became obstructed. By the time I reached the bottom of the canyon ten minutes later (at least it felt like it!), I was peering through the narrow remaining unspattered strip at the bottom. A few more minutes of that and I'd have been effectively blind. If I'd been unable to look over the windscreen, I'd have been blinded within moments -- especially since I was riding directly toward the setting sun.

On a related note: Plexus is really good stuff IF you NEVER have to worry about condensation. If it could at all be an issue, DO NOT use it on your windscreen or visor, as it will fog up much sooner than untreated plastic. As a general polish for the rest of the bike, though, it's amazing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts