Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any experience with Tour Master rain gear or any other good brands? I considered the Frogg togs, but the Tour Masters seem to have a lot of people who swear by them, and they were a few bucks cheaper.

I'm mostly looking for something to stay dry and comfortable, and that packs up enough so it could find a permanant home under the seat of teh burger.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
My last rainsuit was a Tour Master one piece suit. The quality of the suit was OK - and it would roll up and store pretty compactly. But I do not recommend one piece suits. Too awkward to get in and out of on the road. It did not make the cut of items to move from Connecticut to Nebraska. I now own a Frogg Toggs 2 piece suit.

Due to my arm length, inseam, and height, I need a different size jacket and pants to fit right. Frogg Toggs was the only manufacturer I called who would would sell me the different size upper & lower - hence my decision to go with Frogg Toggs.

If you can get a proper fit in a Tour Master 2 piece rainsuit, it would be a good choice. Frogg Toggs aren't make specifically for motorcycling - Tour Master is. With Tour Master you'll get some reflective striping, and the pocket flaps & other closures will seal better.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'd add that the key to judging whch rainsuit is better than another is in the statistics. If you are wet, you may begin not to notice how comfortable a rainsuit is. Waterproofing can be quantified by two metrics:
1. Water (rain) resistance, measured in mm or mg - on the outer shell of the rainsuit. This keeps you dry.
2. Water (vapur) permiability, measured in g/sq m/24h - from the inside out. This allows your body to breath, and not suffer a condensation feeling inside the suit.

Sadly, neither FroggToggs nor Tour Master offer this information on their websites. This information is not always widely available. I'd always lean to bike specific clothing than outdoor orientated items if both are available, as the riding position and context puts different demands on a rainsuit than the standing and walking that outdoor suits are designed for. However, before parting with money to either party I'd drop them both a line an ask them to quantify how waterproof their suits are.

Case study:
The rainsuit that I wear on the commute is water resistant up to 20,000mm, and has a water vapour permiability of 8000g/sq m/24h. It's easily foldable, and sites under the seat of my Reflex when it is forecasted to rain.
The standard CE armour, textile touring jacket and over trousers that I wear in the Winter an chilly spring and Autumn days is water resistant up to 45,000mm, and has a water vapour permiability of 13,500g/sq m/24h. So no need to bring the 'rainsuit' if it rains...

The same information should be known by the manufacturers and available for waterproof shoes, gloves, etc. Good to know.

The other thing to consider is how for and how fast you intend to ride in the rain? I have a couple of emergency rainsuit that lives in the righthand glove compartment of the 650 and inthe glovebox of the Reflex tha is no bigger than the palm of my hand. It cannot be described as great by any stretch ofthe imagination, but it is good enough to get you home if you are caught out when riding around town, and will keep the worst off you if you are further afield. Best not to ride over 50mph wearing that, as at speeds over 50 it suddenly loses it's ability to water resist. $4 USD from a home centre, it's been a saviour pruschase on many occasions.

Best of luck.
Lycheed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts