Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one give me a good description of the deflector to stop the dreaded muddy-dash and step -thru from the sidestand blowing water up under your left leg?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I can: plastic, clunky-looking though inobtrusive, reasonably priced, fairly easy to install.

My question: Why doesn't water come up the other side like that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rain deflector

Very simple, there is no side-stand on the right side. Looking down in the rain, water simply runs toward the end of the sidestand and when it nears the exposed end of the sidestand the updraft blows it up under your left leg and forewards toward the hump and up on the dash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just happened on to some pictures of an old post and you must have been talking about the side deflector. Some time in the past there was talk about a deflector that has been added to the 04's that is either mounted on or ahead of the side-stand...and help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rain Deflector

I have the Suzuki rain deflector in my hand and with the pictures can see how and where it goes. My bottom panel is also in hand. All that remains is an answer to "What size screws or bolts were used to make the attachment?"

·
Registered
247 Posts
Do you have the Suzuki part number for the kickstand rain deflector. I need to see if it is available at a Canadian dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
billclemen, the screw is a 5mmX16mm. They're just like the ones you have to take out of the leg shield to remove it, so you could probably just get them at a hardware store.

Arby, the part number of the rain deflector is 48183-10G00. Let me know if your dealer can get one for you. They're on the '04's, so they don't show up in the '03's parts lists.

My dealer charged $11.00 for the deflector, and .73 US each for the screws. Haven't riden in the rain with it yet, so I can't say for sure if it works.

Bruce Woodburn
AN650
Reflex

·
Registered
409 Posts
I put the deflector on my K3 yesterday. Before drilling I traced the deflector and sight guessed where to drill. Amazingly, I drilled accurately. Looks fine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I thought of doing that, but I don't trust my ability to "line things up". So, I used every handyman's helper, duct tape, to assist putting mine on. First I put a couple of strips with the sticky side to the back of the deflector, and allowed the tape to extend beyond the deflector's edges. Then I used a pencil to poke through the tape where the screws would go. Next I placed the deflector, with the tape stuck to the back of it onto the leg shield, and moved it around to where it would eventually be mounted. I put some more tape over the exposed edges of the tape on the back of the deflector to hold it in place on the leg shield. Finally I pulled the deflector off of the tape I'd put on the back, which was now being held in place on the leg shield, and drilled through the two places I'd makred with the pencil. Pulled off the tape and screwed the deflector in place and put the shield back on the bike.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the part number. I have an 04 but just got it Friday afternoon. I'll take a look after work today to see if the rain deflector is already installed.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I just checked my '04 and it does have the rain deflecter. And, for those who might not want to drill holes in the panel to install deflecters, 3M makes a product called "Super Strength Emblem Tape". It's a very thin 2-sided tape that manufacturers use to attach the emblems and trim on cars.
This tape comes in approximately 4"x4" squares and can be cut to size with scissors or an Exacto knife. It's not intended to support any great weight but works great for attaching relatively light items like the deflecter. I found it at a local auto supply store. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I installed the rain guard on my '03 AN650 today. I've had the part for a while, but have been procrastinating on the installation.

Went to my dealer a couple of days ago and requested the two 5 x 16mm screws (they don't come with the rain guard). Parts guy said they were out of stock. He could order them at 99 cents apeice - take a week or two to get them. Geez! A common fastener for the Burgmans & they don't stock it. I hope the service guy never looses a screw while doing work on one... I went to Ace hardware and bought two self threading screws for 25 cents apiece. They aren't metric - but the screw holes in the rain guard aren't pre-threaded anyway. They worked fine.

I used the duct tape tip that is described above to create a template for drilling the holes. It worked great! Holes lined up perfectly, installation complete.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Score another one for azmotorsports

I just recieved a "rain deflector" from azmotorsports.com for my '03.

When my local Suzuki dealer didn't have a 2004 Burgman 650 in stock or the microfiche either, they were not able/willing to research the part # and order the part for me.

Off I went to the azmotorsports site to look for the "rain deflector". At first they couldn't find this part either because it wasn't listed as a "rain deflector". In a series of e-mails, I sent a picture and text description of what I was looking for and they sent back a page from the microfiche showing the part. It's called a Leg Shield Cover. DUH!

I really appreciate azmotorsports' Ron Willoughby for having the persistence to track this down for me.

BTW - their price was $6.88.

Regards,

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts