Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
radiator fan

Just a line to say that my 650k3 over heated the other day and it looks like the fan quit. Keep an eye one the temp gage . I have never seen this reported before , so it must not bee common only have 5700 miles seence Jan2 04 ride safe Dewight

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The AN650 seems to stay consistently at 3 bars on the temp gauge. If you see 4 bars, that would be a good indication that you need to check fan operation, coolant level, etc.. This is the first time I've heard of the fan failing, so it wouldn't appear to be a typical flaw - but anything mechanical is subject to failure.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mine overheated twice while at the Scootercade this year when riding slowly around town. However, while moving along at anything over a crawl, it stays at the three bar indication. I've checked the coolant level and the fuse to the fan, and they are both O.K. When I get some time, I'll make an appointment to get the fan checked.

Bruce

·
Registered
409 Posts
No matter what type of riding I did this year or the outside temp, it never went above three bars. As Paul said, if its mechanical it can break

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
bwdbrn1 said:
Mine overheated twice while at the Scootercade this year when riding slowly around town. However, while moving along at anything over a crawl, it stays at the three bar indication. I've checked the coolant level and the fuse to the fan, and they are both O.K. When I get some time, I'll make an appointment to get the fan checked.

Bruce
Not familiar with the bike but if the fan is not cutting in then it must be the temp sensor. Just changed one on my old Merc - what a coincidence! :roll:

·
Registered
605 Posts
First and formost if your burger over heats I would check the oil level and once this has been done then look into the coolant level. The fan sensor should be next then the fan. You need to think about a few steps backwards before going to the fan. There is always a logical approach to these things.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The fan temp. sensor switch is @ the bottom of radiator, if you remove the 2 terminals & join them the fan should work ...

Also just as a reference IMO, the temp. gauge isn't the best indication of engine overheating problem ...

If you have a coolant leak and your riding you may notice the gauge go up 1 or 2 bars but once the coolant goes below the sensor the temp. gauge will return to normal or lower reading ...

As the coolant loses pressure the boiling point decreases within the cooling system, and sensor is calibrated to allow for this increase, so when it starts to boil it reads it as normal or cooler ...

This can all happen in 1-2 minutes ...

It happened to me and I know what to look for, I notice the gauge reading cooler then it should but couldn't stop in time and it boiled it's guts out ... 1 cooked motor ...

When I was playing service manager @ large engine recond. shop we fitted coolant level alarms into the radiator tanks, so when coolant dropped below the sensor the alarm would go off and you still have time to stop and turn off before you BBQ your motor ...

Greg ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
overheated

After going down from the side walk to the road, the burgman probably was hitted at the fan area, cousing it to stop mooving. I didn't notice it until the next day, when I road in the city and the temp gauge climbed to 4 bars.
The fan engine tried to circle, but becouse it was stucked, the fuse got borned.
Since then I am very carefull when I get off high side walks.
The burgman is not as high as I would like it to be !

(sorry for my english)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi shaylock

Your English is fine!

Do you have a 650 or a 400?

I thought the fan was at the upper part of the radiator, or did you damage the plastic bodywork and this impacted on fan?

·
Registered
822 Posts
NormanB said:
Your English is fine!
Not to start anything with mis-spelled words... just out to prove a point. This interesting tidbit proves that spelling has no impact on reading and comprehending written words as long as the first and last letters of each word is correct. Believe it or not, you CAN read this:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought
slpeling was ipmorantt

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
bkcollos

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Randy said:
So how come when I talk like that I get these funny looks :?
:idea: Are you sure it's the way you're talking that's getting the funny looks??? :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts