Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating what the next addition to my 650 would be, and I think I've concluded it would be an AM/FM radio. When in my car, even though it's got a CD changer, I'm usually more interested in the radio. There's enough wind noise at highway speed so I'm not sure there's any point in having speakers on the scooter. That leaves headphones in the helmet, and some sort of radio receiver.

Any suggestions? Radios come in all sizes. I don't need one designed to install in a car. A wireless RF (bluetooth, maybe?) remote control would be nice, though. As for the helmet, I switch between two. If there was a standardized headphone "kit", I'd get two and install one in each helmet. Ideally I could simply plug a cable from the radio into a jack installed in the helmet. In another scenario, the radio could be IN the helmet, as part of the headphone.

I have looked at the various stereo installations posted in the Gallery. None are quite what I'm after.

All input greatly appreciated!

Dave B.

·
Registered
119 Posts
4-D,
I enjoy your posts.
I would suggest xm radio. I have it in all of my 4 wheeled vehicles and will include it on my 650 once i have my autocom system installed. I love my XM radio. It is one of those things I never thought would be worth the money. I thought the same about bottled water but clearly misguided on both accounts. Let us know what you come up with.
Perry R

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Dave, you might want to consider something like the new Delphi MyFi XM satellite radio. It can be used just like a personal radio by joggers, walkers, etc. so I'm thinking it can be used on a bike. It's battery-powered or, using the car kit, can be hooked to the vehicle's battery. Looks like speakers should fit under a helmet.
They're hard to find in the stores but as soon as I can find one I want to take a close look to see if it will work on the Burgman. I have satellite radio in my car and I love it.
http://shopdelphi.com/products/consumers/myfi/

Don

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Wings.

Since there are plenty of good local analog radio stations available to me, and I'm mainly interested in local news and weather, the XM or Sirius alternatives are unnecessary. I primarily listen only during the 10 minute or less drive to work.

The radio part should be easy. My wife has little clip-on radio she takes with her on walks, about the size of a large watch. It uses the speaker cord as it's antenna. No remote control though, and not that good of sound quality. But it proves that a radio doesn't have to take up much space. It's the in-helmet headphones I'm having trouble figuring out.

Still searching.

Dave B.

·
Registered
127 Posts
4D, I have been doing a low level search for the same type of thing though I would like to hook a dual band amateur radio through it too. Haven't seen very much to interest me so far.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah I've been thinking about that too. I know they make 2 way radios in helmets, but do they make something that I can have a radio/cd player in one of the glove compartments that transmits to my helmet?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok, since we are dreaming here of what we want....

I want a 15 disc CD changer (can do 4-6 discs in the unit plus a 10 disc changer add-on), small enough to put in the glove box and uses a wireless headset and remote control that uses verbal communication.

:D :D

Oh, and tells me where the next gas station is.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
I recently bought an MP3 player that doubles as an FM receiver. It has 256 MB of memory (more than 60 songs), the receiver picks up better than any other radio I have and it's not much larger than a cigarette lighter. An MP3 player will not skip and I can clip the unit itself to my belt or just slip it in my shirt and jacket pocket. It weighs little to nothing. 78 bucks.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
captainfish said:
...I want a 15 disc CD changer (can do 4-6 discs in the unit plus a 10 disc changer add-on), small enough to put in the glove box and uses a wireless headset and remote control that uses verbal communication. :D :D ...
Instead of a multi-disk CD changer, get an MP3 player. Rip all your CDs to the player's memory. They come in a variety of form factors, all of which would easily fit in the glove box.

I saw several FM transmitters today designed to broadcast any music source to a car's FM radio.

Now if I only had an FM radio in my helmet (gee, isn't that what I wanted in the first place?) we would only have to worry about the voice-actuated controller. Should be simple, since not many words would be required... "play, pause, stop, next, previous, random, etc.."

The controller is the hard part. I found a CD/FM/AM Sony walkman in target today with a wired remote control. It appeared designed to slip on like a ring, then operate with the another finger or the thumb. There was also another media player with a large KNOB as the controller. Some CD players have the controller on the cable between player and headphones. I think ultimately the perfect motorcycle controller may have to be designed into the left hand grip. You could have four buttons on the back/bottom side for the fingers and one or two on the front for the thumb.

Dave B.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hey 4D,

I bought a portable CD player other day that had this little knob thing that allowed me to control play, stop, and next. I could velcro it to places.

What I don't like about the MP3 players is the time it takes to rip your stuff. but alas...it is smaller and less cumbersom, and doesn't suffer from skipping. But then I would want AM radio as well.

Are the MP3 players DC-power compatible?

What about earbuds? would those be too painful to keep in the ear under the helmet? I liked the one link in the Links section that showed speakers that can be fitted within the foam of the helmet lining.

I like the idea of the AudioBoss, a single connection point for a variety of sources. But it looks like it is designed to be outside the storage/frame of a bike. Would it be waterproof?

I noticed in my glovebox that the hinges are wide open to the outside. Do people who have driven alot in the rain noticed any water or moisture getting into the glovebox thru the hinges?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have an old am-fm receiver that I bought from Radio Shack years ago that still works with earbuds.
It's quite small, fits easily into a shirt pocket, the earbud wires serve as antenna
It uses AAA bateries, but they last a long time with no motors to run.
No skipping to worry about, basic, simple.

Maybe I can use that, when I feel the need.
A long boring ride maybe. Trying to imagine that. I can't :wink:

No controller though, but it works.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
PhilW said:
4D, I have been doing a low level search for the same type of thing though I would like to hook a dual band amateur radio through it too. Haven't seen very much to interest me so far.
jyurong said:
...do they make something that I can have a radio/cd player in one of the glove compartments that transmits to my helmet?
One thing that might work is this:

The Autocom Pro-7-Sport.

The basic configuration comes with the helmet speakers and microphone (for rider-to-passenger intercom), and connectors for Cellphone and music player.

Options include connections for GPS, RADAR detector, 2-way radio, etc.

They even for versions prewired for use with some popular Kenwood and Motorola transceivers.

For more information visit http://www.autocomamerica.com/docs/home.cfm

·
Registered
367 Posts
captainfish said:
I like the idea of the AudioBoss, a single connection point for a variety of sources. But it looks like it is designed to be outside the storage/frame of a bike. Would it be waterproof?
No it is not waterproof.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Dang Brian that Pro7 sure is pricey. I guess I will think about an MP3 and use my heart as a subwoofer.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Evelyn said:
Dang Brian that Pro7 sure is pricey.
The Audio Boss is much more affordable at $169. I can't speak to the quality difference.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Evelyn said:
Dang Brian that Pro7 sure is pricey.
Yes, but it's a pretty good product. Remember, it also is a rider-passenger intercom, not just an audio switcher. They also have lower priced units, but with fewer features.

Evelyn said:
I guess I will think about an MP3 and use my heart as a subwoofer.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts