Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pyle AM FM CD mounted under the seat of my 650. The problem I have is with the heat sink mounted on the back of the radio. I discovered if I remove the heat sink and apply new heat sink compound the set will work well for a month or so and then go back to much static. I've been using Radio Shack compound after using there cleaning & purifying agents. Do we have any radio repair guys that can give me any insight? Thanks Mark

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If it's the regular silicone dioxide stuff it tends to dry out and crack after awhile lowering in heat transfer efficiency. A phase change thermal pad works much better for that or something that''s not as prone to cracking like arctic silver or other's of similar makeup.

Being that the trunk sees engine heat transferred to it as well you could add a fan to the heat sink as well or perhaps add a vent and filter to either side of the trunk box to aid in ambient cooling.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Some of the ham radio/amateur radio guys
have small muffin fans that they use in mobile
installations....the fans are mounted right up
against the heat-sink fins on the back of the
radios. They usually have them wired so that
the fan runs whenever the radio is turned on.
There are some high-power radios that come
from the factory with a built-in fan.
So...might try a mini-muffin fan.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input. I'm going to try some of the Arctic silver. Will let your know the results, Thanks Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts