Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:
Anyone know of a radio that is actually made for the Burgman. I've seen some that will fit with modifications, but am interested to know if there is a plug and play model somewhere?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Suzuki doesn't make one, though it would be nice if they did. Lots of 650 and 400 riders are adapting various electronics to their bikes, which is kind of fun. Interesting to see what can be done.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a complete soundsystem coming out that will not take up storage area. Watch my website for release date. It's in the mold making stage at this time.The system will be available for the 650 and the 400.We will actually be offering a couple of options. In both cases, the soundsystem is completely self contained.
System 1: I've designed an enclosure that actually slips into the "V" formed by the handlebars and will be available as a complete "plug and play" system. Simply slip it into the "V", install to retainer/locking pings, plug in the power cord (in the glovebox) and go for a ride. Total install time will be less than 10 minutes. A second option is to buy the case, with speakers, and install the radio of your choice.

A little further down the road....
System 2: a center hump mounted console, one with a storage area, big glass / cup holder, The second will have a complete sound system and cup holder. This will simply slip onto the center hump in front of the seat. Install time should be in the 4-5 minute range, depending on whether you buy the system complete with receiver, or buy the system and install your own radio/receiver.
http://www.rvtoys.net

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi Dan;
Thanks for the interest. We haven't got sophisticated enough to have a "mailing list yet". We're too busy in the shop designing and building stuff. Just bookmark our site (http://www.rvtoy.net) and check it from time to time. The ISP is having trouble this morning, but normally is fine. There we list what's available, what I'm currently actually working on, and what's "down the road". If you have a wish list, please email me. I've currently got on the design list:
a trailer hitch for pulling a cargo trailer, fold-away highway pegs
sound system, and center console box.
in production: Driver backrest for the 650 and 400, Turn Signal alert sounder kit.
Yours truly
jac vinson
Austin tx

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
radio for an650

jacvinson

Thank you for telling me about your plans to fabricate a plug and play radio. Please let me know when these radios are available and I will buy one.

Do you have an idea of the cost of these models?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I plan of offering the sound system in a couple of different configurations, with and/or without the actual receiver. IE: a complete housing with speakers so you can buy or supply your own receiver / OR/ just the housing with speakers so you can shop and supply your choice of receivers.
I'm meeting with the production designers this morning and hopefully will have a target release date.
Thanks for the question
jac vinson
http://www.rvtoys.net

·
Registered
370 Posts
re-reading my note, I realize I double stated my objective. The housing will be offered "complete-ready to install" and play right out of the box, and will also be available as the complete housing with speakers only, so for those that want to shop around and buy their own receiver can do save a bit of $. Realizing that not everyone lives down the street from a Frys electronics, or Circuit City, or simply may not be handy, I'll be offering the complete package, but would perfer to supply the housing and let folks pick their own reciever. Either way, the speakers will be installed due to the fact they're a bit of a specialty due to size. I'm not having speakers custom made or anything, it's just that I know how long I had to search to find what I needed. Most folks, with enough time, could find their own speakers too, but they're fairly inexpensive, and I have the source, so speakers will be included in either configuration.
jac

·
Registered
39 Posts
Count Me In!

Jacvinson,
I am very interested in this product and will buy if it's a nice clean install. A couple of questions: Does this system incorporate an option to use helmet audio? Do you have any preliminary photo's or sketches?
This sounds fantastic!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: Count Me In!

SilverBurgie said:
Jacvinson,
I am very interested in this product and will buy if it's a nice clean install. A couple of questions: Does this system incorporate an option to use helmet audio? Do you have any preliminary photo's or sketches?
This sounds fantastic!
I Silver, This will be a very clean, self contained install. At this time, helmet connections are being considered, but the option may be left to our buyers. We haven't looked to see how many "compatibles" we would have to adapt to. As for Preliminary photos/sketches, unfortunately, due to the status of the trade marking/patent apps, I can't show those yet. But soon, I promise.
jac

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hey jac, the helmet speaker connections would be, in my opinion, a very desirable option. I've had the helmet sets (J & M) on my Venture and two Wings and I much prefer them over the external speakers. It would be a real plus if you could offer the jack to plug the customer-supplied headsets into with your unit. Keep us posted. I'm real anxious to see your finished product. :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
In the interest of economics, we'll probably leave the headset plug install to the end user. That way we don't have to pass the cost on to folks that don't care about the headset. Those that do, can buy the plub from J&M and hook it up during the install. Especially if the end buyer is buying just the housing/speakers from us, that way they get to chose the expence level. We're hoping to market the housing more than the complete system due to different tastes in receivers and options. You could become a VAR (value added retailer), buy the housing from us, then install custom sound systems. I'm hoping to keep the cost down so it's a viable option for everyone. Some folks will want a receiver with the housing due to geographic locations. Perhaps a discount center may not be handy, but for those near any Walmart or Frys, Circuit City, etc, it will be more cost effective for them to buy the housing and install whatever they like. But, we're certainly open to suggestions. We just started getting the backpads in for the backrests (http://www.rvtoys.net) due to demand, and the sound system may very well end up the same way... convenience vs cost.
jac

·
Registered
373 Posts
Jac

I think the headphone socket would be a very good idea, not everybody likes to broadcast their music :)
Another thing I would do is to be able to 'hard wire' the thing in, I would'nt like to have a flying lead from the Aux. socket around the handlebars!

I am in the UK and was wondering what type of radio it would be.
In the UK, common radio stations are MW (medium wave) LW (Long wave) & FM Stereo (88mhz - 108 mhz approx.)
Don't know if the USA uses similar wavelengths etc
I would be very interested in your idea if it would work in the UK

Andy

·
Registered
370 Posts
Actually it's doing well. The CAD team is working on it as we speak. The high cost of developement keeps it from happening immediately. I expect a product to be available within the next 4-6 weeks. From the early results, it's gonna be terrific!!
I hope to have it in time for the August Scoot Tour Rally in Arkansas, but it's not looking good right now. I'll be at the rally with some stuff, staying at the RV park..
jac

·
Registered
53 Posts
In my opinion, This is the best radio available for the Burgman, and is available NOW.

AM-FM-MP3 with wired remote control
Mount this Sony Powerhouse in trunk, and put remote control on handlebar
Sony Radio CDX-F5500
http://www.cardomain.com/shop/item.pl?sku=SONCDXF5500
Sony Remote RMX-4S
http://www.cardomain.com/shop/item.pl?sku=SONRMX4S
Sony 10 Disk MP3 Player CDX-757MX for above
http://www.cardomain.com/shop/item.pl?sku=SONCDX757MX

Photos many thanks to Lonnie Stivers
http://www.geocities.com/burgman_scoot/radio.html
Remote control is attached to the steering cover with velcro, so it can be moved into the glovebox in case of rain.

Fred

·
Registered
80 Posts
Jac, I just installed a J&M CB 2003 (CB radio/NOAA weather band/intercom/stereo music amplification) on Angle's Burgy. It would be great if your audio system had interface so that the CB and Radio could both feed into headsets or even better yet that the CB output could easily be routed into the Radio Speakers as well as headphones..

Looks like there is a lot of interest in being able to use headsets. Keep up the good work and hope that your ventures met with lots and lots of financial success.

Bill

PS: If anyone is interested in installing the CB Radio, shoot me an e-mail and I will give you the instillation and other details on my installation.
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts