Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the unthinkable and bent several fins on my radiator when I installed new spark plugs a couple of months ago. It did not leak right away so I thought I escaped a costly mistake. However, now it is leaking :( I took a look at the fin area I damaged and sure enought I could see green liquid color near them. I checked the hoses and the water pump just to make sure it was not coming from anywhere else. I am so bummed. The leak is just a few drips per day.

Any recommendations on how to fix it (i.e., sealant) or would you just replace it? I did read some old posts, so I thought I would re-post it to see if anyone has any recent experience with this problem.....Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You can buy a tin of radiator sealant or, for now, drop a raw egg in and heat it up by running the engine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Take the radiator off and take it to a radiator shop and they can fix it easily. If not, take it off, clean the area well and use 'silver solder' and a small hand held 'blow torch,' like the small propane powered ones and do the repair.

I would somewhat worry about using the old stand by made for cars and trucks. Just go to GOOGLE and type in: 'radiator stop leak,' and you'll see many choices. They do work, really well but I'd worry about the maybe smaller passages in the Burgman's cooling system compared to those in a typical engine in a car or truck.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CD8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbarsleaks.com%2Fproduct%2Fliquid-aluminum-cooling-system-stop-leak%2F&ei=KuZZVdeJJc39yQSYsYGACg&usg=AFQjCNF0Mkc9xlPvu2nZuNd1Y0V-EleLnQ&sig2=Szhf5_MGdwZv3rDEHsJIuw&bvm=bv.93564037,d.aWw

I went to google and typed in: 'radiator stop leak for motorcycles,' and there was a wealth of info available.

Scrambled eggs work much better in the radiator than raw ones.:pottytrain4:
Sam:D

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Eggs in the radiator (shudder) be worried about giving the lardy a case of high cholesterol with that one. Cleaning it with something safe for aluminum will help if going with the solder rout to fix the holes. Unless you have a tig and are really good about repairing thin metal.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Take it off and to a professional to fix, then it's done right.
On the trail snowmobiling however one time we stopped at a tavern and put pepper in the system and that worked! Not that I'd recommend it, but in an emergency guys could maybe keep that trick in the back of their mind.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I was able to get a very good used radiator at $150 and will go that route first. In the meantime, I will keep the old one in case I can fix it if the used one goes out. The sealant idea is tempting, but there is so much on the internet about being only a temporary fix.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope it is ok for me to mention that I was able to get a used radiator from The Reaper in case anyone is interested in used parts. I was very happy with the great condition of the part, the personable service and the super quick delivery of just 2 days to receive the radiator. It's sometimes hard to find a good place to get parts, so I thought I would share this with others in case it can be helpful for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts