Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I took a video of the fan with my phone sorry for the picture quality. My question is this how the fan should normally sound? also i did see were the fan got jammed into the radiator. there is a line from the bottom right side of the radiator fan in the radiator from it. but cools just fine still when riding. The only time my burgy starts to over heat is when in stop and go traffic or sitting a long time (10-15 minuets). other than that it's ok. The light came on one time with 5 bars rode for 5 minuets or less and it dropped back down to 3 bars. so I'm looking at other posts that i have found on this web site but didn't know how to jump the fan to see if it would come on or not. felt first to see if it was spinning freely and it wasn't so i removed the radiator from the bike and the fan from that. Should i get the fan motor repaired?? the fan looks to be in great shape. I currently have 5,200 miles on my 2003 burgman.
here is the link for the video it may still be being processed but they said this would be the link. Or search for Burgman 650 Radiator fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLI-7uVmtkg&feature=youtu.be
any help would be wonderful! I'm a Newbie.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had a large rock bounce up and hit my radiator fan. It jammed it into the radiator. I removed the fan then put it back on with a couple of washers as shims. The fuse had blown when it jammed. I replaced the fuse, and no problems since. It gets HOT here (114 expected today). In stop and go traffic I still don't get above 3 bars. But when the fan kicks on, I can feel it vibrating as I'm sure something is bent. If I remember right, it did seem to freewheel more than yours does.

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
While I do think it is toasted, you can use about any year 650 fan.

Where ya from? If local I could loan ya one till you get another. I am running my 03's radiator, both Rims, Brake Calipers and GIVI wind screen on my 08, so like Subarus, these things are like Legos.

Reactions: sirkitrider-2

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Are you sure you are spinning the fan in the correct direction of rotation? In the correct direction it should be silent, in the incorrect direction it does generate a noise (not sure why maybe the commutator catching on the back end of the brushes?)

Have you tried powering up on the bench?

To be honest I have never had mine out on the bench to do the manual test you are doing so I cannot honestly make a judgement call on your You Tube video in terms of the significance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Doesn't sound like any fan I've ever had. Sounds like fan blade is rubbing on fan motor housing. Could the blade have been moved back on the shaft somehow? Not right.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My opinion is the bushings in the motor are toast. I am suspecting that from my experience I have with R/C Aircraft motors both brushed and brushless and it sure sounds like the bearing surfaces are gone on that motor. The fan may run but it won't for long methinks.

Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for the info. I'm in Utah I took the fan to a shop that said they would look at it and see if they could fix it or not. Took it to an electric shop as someone had mentioned before and they turned the fan away. the shop i took it to was the shop they recommended i take it to.
The fan makes the noise either direction that i move it. If the shop can fix it and make it run that would be fantastic! i don't want to pay $200 for a new fan. it's overpriced in my opinion. but if they cant fix it.... Ebay or amazon may be my next best bet. Thanks about the years on the fans. That's part of the reason why i got the scooter. parts are interchangeable. Love the Lego term!
i'll keep you updated the guy said that he would call me tomorrow to let me know if he can fix it or not.

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
If I needed a new fan I would just go aftermarket and put a water tight plug on. Summit Racing has fans from 4 inch up to 20+ inches. They come with "Wire Ties" that push thru the fins and pull tight to install. My guess is just over 5 1/2 inch would fit and for $75 including shipping this SPAL one may work but it says 10 blade but looks like 6:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30100291/overview/

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here is the update I went to the shop and they said that they can't fix it.... then i took it home and tried to take it apart.. that didn't work either. from what I can tell the motor is a sealed unit without me cutting the metal. So I'm looking at getting the fan off ebay from arizona... hopefully that one works!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I got the fan put a washer on the bottom bolt hole and the radiator and fan works like a dream! It stays right at 3 bars now! Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The fin/fan clearance must be really tiny. The other day, I discovered that my fan couldn't turn, loosened the bottom bolt, turned the fan by hand, took the thermo switch plug off and bridged it, and thankfully, the fan ran.
Then I bolted it back up and re-tested the fan with success, no extra washer required.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If I needed a new fan I would just go aftermarket and put a water tight plug on. Summit Racing has fans from 4 inch up to 20+ inches. They come with "Wire Ties" that push thru the fins and pull tight to install. My guess is just over 5 1/2 inch would fit and for $75 including shipping this SPAL one may work but it says 10 blade but looks like 6:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30100291/overview/
Thickness (in): 3.858 in.
Is the OEM fan that thick?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The fin/fan clearance must be really tiny. The other day, I discovered that my fan couldn't turn, loosened the bottom bolt, turned the fan by hand, took the thermo switch plug off and bridged it, and thankfully, the fan ran.
Then I bolted it back up and re-tested the fan with success, no extra washer required.
Been in the area several times (spark plugs/CVT/etc) on all my bikes and haven't run across this yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts