Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Two things I found after I had to band saw the bent SV605's fork tube off. It was bent right where the bottom clamp of the triple tree is and had crimpped the inner sag tube and it would not pull thru.

1. The SV650 Dampener is taller and that is what equals the longer front travel on the SV650.

2. The SV650's front spring is shorter by 1.25 inches and is not progressive wound but is a bit more steeper than the Burgman 650's non-Progressive part. A Burgman 650 front spring may be a slight upgrade to a SV650, SLIGHT.

So now I bought another bent SV650 fork dampener from Ebay for $54 and free shipping. Bike Bandit wants $76 plus shipping just for the Item 13 Dampener tube but on Ebay I get the whole fork tube with the spring and the lower shock part and just use the dampener....
Drinkware Automotive tire Font Bicycle fork Barware
Font Audio equipment Event Boot Eyelash

·
Registered
558 Posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS ALL!!!!!
As you're feer feet down in this, what SV650 years/models are the compatible ones? (i have understood that's the early models?)

edit: i hope my typo did'nt have any bad meaning :-|

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS ALL!!!!!
As you're feer down in this, what SV650 years/models are the compatible ones? (i have understood that's the early models?)
Well, I'd say please wait till I get these test fitted.

But the 1999, 00, 01 and 2002 I think are all about the same.

Now if they would fit, the 2001 or 2002 have sealed adjusters on the top caps for SAG adjustments. That may hit the plastic top box.

The bent left fork I just bought today will be here on 11/24/21. It has the adjuster bolt in the top cap. But Ebay has some aftermarket top caps with adjusters to fit the SV650's 41mm forks. I confirmed today that the top caps have the same thread pitch and 'O' ring seal as my Burgman 650, just the SV650 has a 22mm nut on top of the cap and the Burgman has a 17mm Allen head so is about 1/4 flatter. I'll post a picture later.

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
OK, I had to go get my PERSONAL Booster shot, #3. Got back and went to garage to measure some.

The AN650 Fork cap has a bit thicker top part but has a 45 degree bevel. I took 2 pic's.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Coil Audio equipment

Ruler Office ruler Automotive lighting Gas Circle

Reactions: Parduz

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I went to the web and found the Burgman 650 has 105mm or 4.1 inch front travel.
The 1999-2002 SV650 has 132mm or 5.2 inch front travel. Looking at the SV650's Dampener you can see where the extra travel comes from.

The SV650's Dampener tube is not quite 1 inch longer, it is 0.978 inch longer or for our metric friends 24.84 mm.

It also only has 1 small bled hole at the top where the AN650 has a larger one and a same size one too. But all other measurements are the same.

Drinkware Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bicycle frame Gas

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I went out in the cold garage and did some fork tube set up.

Wood Office supplies Tool Gas Gun accessory

• The stock Burgman fork tube installed inside the shock measures 12 5/16 inches compressed down and 22 1/8 inches fully extended. This is without the dampener limiting the extended travel

Material property Cosmetics Publication Gas Cylinder
Rectangle Font Material property Cylinder Publication

• I then added the #16 spring under the Burgman dampener and this measured out at 16 1/16 inch
Office ruler Material property Office supplies Font Gas

• I then added the spring under the SV650's dampener and this gives 17 1/8 inch.
Writing implement Material property Publication Office supplies Cylinder

One thing I noted when I took the SV650 fork tube apart is it does NOT have the top piston bearing ring #5 in drawing. This piston bearing adds stability to the top of the tube.

Font Parallel Drawing Handwriting Auto part

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Fork Bushings are on order. I have all new seals. When they arrive I will clean everything up and start putting it together. I'll try to take pictures as I go.

Once I get these longer SV650 dampeners installed and all put back on the bike I will then work on the RaceTech emmulators and the springs and setting SAG. I think I want to split the SAG so it adds some extra drop. Will be putting 15W Motul fork oil in.

Also just to note it. The SV650's fork tube, the chrome outter part is also 1 inch shorter than the Burgman 650's. This is why the spring is shorter. The bottom shock of the SV650 is longer than the Burgmans shock, by 1 inch.

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I don't know if Maccecht is following this. He came up with the original idea and made the following drawing to add 1 inch (25mm) travel to the forks. Using the SV650's dampener fixes the need for the 25mm spacer and longer bolt below.

I had planned to go work some more on this when the 2nd Dampener tube and the fork slider bush's come in this week. But I have a buyer (FREE) for my 1980 Goldwing GL1100i so I will be digging it all out of storage and using a set of Burgman forks to wheel it to the front yard.

Handwriting Product Rectangle Font Slope

·
Registered
558 Posts
Also just to note it. The SV650's fork tube, the chrome outter part is also 1 inch shorter than the Burgman 650's. This is why the spring is shorter. The bottom shock of the SV650 is longer than the Burgmans shock, by 1 inch.
Sorry, Dave, this is the only part of your tri-post that i have not understood. My poor english is lost in what seems to me a convoluted phrase :|
Would you mind to explain it to me like to a child?
Sorry again.

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Sorry, Dave, this is the only part of your tri-post that i have not understood. My poor english is lost in what seems to me a convoluted phrase :|
Would you mind to explain it to me like to a child?
Sorry again.
The second used SV650 fork tube will get here Nov 24th. If I can get it all apart I will take some pictures side by side.

Also, as I start putting this all back together I will take pictures and then EDIT or DELETE all the bad information I posted in the above 3 pages.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well, UPS has seemed to lost the 2nd SV 650 fork. I have to wait till Monday to see.

But the new Fork Bushings got here today. It comes with 2 sets of :

Top and bottom bearing bushings
O Rings for top caps.
Copper washer seals for the very bottom #11 bolt that holds the Dampener
New springs that hold the top seals down.
Tire Product Automotive tire Wheel Rim

41 - 51 of 51 Posts