Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I may not get all my supplies together in time to finish this before my Fly and drive my sister back from Maine. I will be back home last week of June.

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have to say that the installation was really smooth (had a friend sawing the spacers for me). I followed the instructions staying on the soft-side of the valve spring pre-compression, as i did'nt changed the springs.

Then a friend bought me the 1kg/mm springs, and it took less than a hour to install them.
The past year i kept everything as it was but, being the springs harder than the OEM, the valve was not dampening enough. One month ago i opened the forks again and added half a round to the valve springs, and it is perfect now.

HTH
Question, how much of a change was the 1.0kg/mm spring over the stock ones?
I can get a set of 0.95kg/mm for about $95 US$ but not sure its worth spending for a little gain.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not
Question, how much of a change was the 1.0kg/mm spring over the stock ones?
I can get a set of 0.95kg/mm for about $95 US$ but not sure its worth spending for a little gain.
It was not a change as big as the valves installation (THAT was a big change!) but in the end i like it more now than then: a bit more rigid, And bottom-outs (i mean: full compression to the end) are even more rare.

For less than 100$ (considering them = to 100€) i'll take them and install while you have everything open. Should i have paid full price+shipping+customs fee instead of a gift, i'd have passed.

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
OK. Just like Darksiding where YOU must take responsibility for your own actions, same with modifying suspension.

Adding a 1 inch spacer under the Dampener rod has not been done by anyone (that lived) that reported back the effects.

Uncharted Waters here. I am not recommending it to anyone.

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Not

It was not a change as big as the valves installation (THAT was a big change!) but in the end i like it more now than then: a bit more rigid and bottom-ups (i mean: full compression to the end) are even more rare.

For less than 100$ (considering them = to 100€) i'll take them and install while you have everything open. Should i have paid full price+shipping+customs fee instead of a gift, i'd have passed.
Well, I think I will pass on the heaver springs for now.

It is such an easy job to remove the handlebar cover, the top box cover, the 2 handlebar clamps to get to the fork top caps and change the fork springs later.

Take all tupperware off, remove the handlebar clamps so the bars can move away, turn the forks hard to the left and undo the left fork cap. Put back together, turn the forks hard right and do it again.

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
If it works without bad effects. The costs of just the 1 inch lift is around $45.

You need two each:

• Aluminum 1 inch (25mm) tall pucks 35 mm wide. $12 for enough to do 3 sets
  • Longer M10-1.0 x 60 bottom bolt. $20 for 2
  • New Copper washer. $0.50
  • New or used Car's Valve spring that is about 1 inch (25mm) or a little taller and about 35 mm wide. A common Chevy 350 valvespring. $12 NEW
  • Hardened washer to go between the two springs. I will use the Valvespring retainer from the old 2.2 valvespring
This will raise the front of the bike about 3/4 to 1 whole inch and may impact the seat height too.

It will also increase the Rake/Trail and make the bike easier to steer but also slower turn in. Great for a Trike. Not so much for a Sport Rider.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
I received my Bar Stock from Ebay. Made 1st cut but found my saw was not cutting straight. Dang Oregon Chainsaw.
Font Wood Metal Rectangle Tool

For real, my second hand Harbor Freight bandsaw was not cutting 90 degrees so I had to spend two hours making adapters to twist the band. My first cut was 31.75mm on one side and angled to 31.35mm on the other. I had to hand grind it down to the shorter side. Second one was a lot closer.

Motor vehicle Combat vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport Self-propelled artillery

Drilled a 10.50mm hole and chamfered all edges.
Measuring instrument Gas Table Machine Electronic device
Wood Audio equipment Gauge Gas Measuring instrument

Quick mockup.

Tool Hand tool Office ruler Ratchet Metalworking hand tool

Attachments

Reactions: RollingStone

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Upon looking at the way the dampener tube works, adding the tall spacer under will not give much if any more travel. All it will do is raise the front up. Our Dampener tube allows about 4 inches of travel if your SAG set is not too much.

Need a longer Dampener tube set.

I need to find two 1999-2002 Suzuki SV650 forks to see how much can be used.
Same diameter fork tubes but they have 5.1 inches of fork travel. This is all due to a longer Dampener tube.

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Upon looking at the way the dampener tube works, adding the tall spacer under will not give much if any more travel. All it will do is raise the front up. Our Dampener tube allows about 4 inches of travel if your SAG set is not too much.

Need a longer Dampener tube set.

I need to find two 1999-2002 Suzuki SV650 forks to see how much can be used.
Same diameter fork tubes but they have 5.1 inches of fork travel. This is all due to a longer Dampener tube.
I found some on EBay.

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I think those Burgman 650 Cartridge's are a drop in.
I think you must remove everything inside. The cartridge has a piece that goes down so you can put the bottom bolt back in. I have NOT seen one.

But, the very tops of the tubes with the rebound adjusters will stick up about 1 inch taller and will hit the tuperware under the handlebar cover. There is maybe 1/4 inch space. You'd need to cut the top box that the small glove boxes are in for clearance.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't get why. You're basically lifting the original dampener by a inch. As long as your riser stays (and "slides") inside the tube, why it does'nt allow more travel?

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
The Dampener has a "Top out Spring" and when the Riser slides up and hits the spring it compresses till coils bind and the riser can not go any higher, even if you add 3 inches at the bottom, it can only slide till locked. (Continued next picture)

Tool Bicycle part Nickel Gas Cylinder

Then the Riser can slide all the way down till it hits the "Oil Lock" and can not slide any more down even if you add 3 inches under it. (See next picture)

Hand tool Tool Geologist's hammer Gas Wrench

Below: The Riser travel is between the Spring and Oil Lock and can not change. To add more travel you need a longer Dampener. The spring uses up about 35mm but if you remove it the Riser will slam hard into the Dampeners top.
It shows 113.21 mm but about 10mm is lost inside the risers inner seal.

Wood Gas Cylinder Auto part Bicycle part

In inch's
Bumper Gas Machine Auto part Trigger

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Parduz
OK, maybe a CHEAT to gain 3/4 inch (19mm) of fork travel. This is low hanging fruit so I picked it.

The oil lock jambs into the riser at full compression and I got to thinking I can recover that by grinding the oil lock smaller so it fits more inside the riser.
Hand Fluid Liquid Cosmetics Finger

This is how it jambs
Drinkware Automotive tire Water bottle Fluid Bottle

You can see the witness marks where it has stopped over the years. You can also see the oil seal.
Hand Automotive tire Automotive lighting Camera lens Reflex camera

Made this $10,000 special tool to grind the Oil Locks down. I patented it so you can not copy it.
Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Office supplies Material property

Tool installed in Oil Lock.
Auto part Gas Automotive lighting Tints and shades Metal

Another Very Special tool in use.
Wrist Nail Fashion accessory Human leg Carmine

And a 3rd Very Special tool to precision grind the Oil Lock to a new size.
Motor vehicle Saw Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper

The cut down new size Oil locks. I am adding a 32mm OD x 29mm ID x 3mm thick 'O' Ring just to dampen the riser.
Table salt Tin Drinkware Salt Liquid

And the new Oil Locks are 3/4 inch (19mm) deeper.
Tin Tin can Automotive tire Drinkware Tire

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just a reminder, I am doing these mods on my spare set of 2003 650 forks. If it does not work out I'll just put the un-modified set back on.

·
Administrator
22,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
On Ebay there was a damaged right fork tube from a 2000 Suzuki SV650 for $34 and free shipping. It will be here 11/12/2021.

The SV650 has the same diameter fork tubes but they have about 1 more inch fork travel and I am assuming it has a longer Dampener Rod. If so I will try to find a second bent unit and try this inside the Burgman 650 forks.

It comes with a BENT tube but the insides are all the same design as our Burgman 650's.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts