Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am redoing my forks on my current 2003 650. I am going to make two spacers to put under the dampener rod to add 1 1/4 inch extra travel. I will also add a set of RaceTech emulators and adding more spring.

The Race Tech Gold emulator is FEGV-3801. From Race Tech direct it is $175 plus $24 shipping. Same off Ebay was $126 and free shipping. Ebay seller say it does not fit the Burgman but it is the correct one for 2002-2018 650's per Race Tech. Look for Suzuki SV650 first gen.

Pictures to follow.

All stock parts.
Wood Gas Auto part Cylinder Household hardware

FEGV-S3801 for Burgman 2003-2018
Lamp Wall Font Gas Wood

·
Administrator
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Have a question to those that have bought any brand aftermarket front fork spring, what was the wire diameter?

I have a set of progressive wound Goldwing GL1100i springs for the full faring with stereo bike and they are 0.1745 inch diameter. They held the full dressed Goldwing up OK for a touring bike.
The stock Burgman's are 0.0069 inch thicker at 0.1814 inch.

Race Tech is saying I need the 0.96 kg/mm springs but they do not give wire diameter. I will try calling and pry some info from them on Monday or so.

EDIT, Corrected wire diameter from 0.0814 to 0.1814 inch

·
Administrator
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Dave, I purchased a pair of HyperPro fork springs. Haven't installed them yet. Spring thickness measures 0.2015 in.
Substantially thicker! Wow.
I'd really like to add that 1 1/4 in. travel like you are planning, maybe even the emulators, when I get in there.
Wow.
Those HyperPro's are almost 10% thicker. By 0.0201 inch thicker.

What is the spring rate? The are telling me I need between 0.95 kg/mm to 0.97 kg/mm.

I have a 7 inch bar stock of 35mm round aluminum coming from Ebay. I plan on cutting two pucks at 1" to 1.25". They will be center drilled 10.5 mm so the longer bottom bolt can slide through. The factory bolt is 24 mm long and 10 mm in diameter and is a 1.0 thread pitch, M10x1.0x25.
I'll get a 55 to 60 mm long ones soon.

Edit ordered 2 ea M10-1.0-60mm Cap screws off Ebay, $20 with free shipping, delivery by May 15th. Cheaper if you buy 10 from China but 1 month wait for delivery

Hand tool Tool Household hardware Wood Metalworking hand tool

From another member
Handwriting Product Rectangle Font Slope

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
I tried to find the spring info for you when I ran across this:

·
Administrator
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For $600 that is a good deal. Cartridge type is 300% better than any emulator, and 500% better than OEM.

But theses have adjustable dampening and those adjusters may hit the top cover of the Burgman, under the handelbar cover.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Font Tool Line

·
Administrator
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the time you order 1 Race Tech set of emulators and 1 set of springs with shipping you are at $400. And then you have to cut spacers to set pre load and SAG. To adjust dampening you must pull it all apart to turn the screw inside.

With drop in Cartridge's at $600, you pre set the pre load and drop it in. Dampening is done without the mess of Emulators.

Now, if this 1 inch extension does work, it still would work with a emulators as the spacer is at the bottom. May need a 1 inch longer spring added in the middle of the per-load

·
Administrator
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd love to see the install PDF of the Cartridge.

·
Registered
745 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
LOL
Andreani factory is 50km from where i live :)

Same off Ebay was $126 and free shipping. Ebay seller say it does not fit the Burgman but it is the correct one for 2002-2018 650's per Race Tech. Look for Suzuki SV650 first gen.
Race Tech FEGV-3801 , I can confirm that they fit my K8.

And i've bought them from the same seller:

·
Registered
558 Posts
To adjust dampening you must pull it all apart to turn the screw inside.
I have to say that the installation was really smooth (had a friend sawing the spacers for me). I followed the instructions staying on the soft-side of the valve spring pre-compression, as i did'nt changed the springs.

Then a friend bought me the 1kg/mm springs, and it took less than a hour to install them.
The past year i kept everything as it was but, being the springs harder than the OEM, the valve was not dampening enough. One month ago i opened the forks again and added half a round to the valve springs, and it is perfect now.

Being me cheap as i am, i don't think that 600$ are worthy the little hassle of extracting the valves and reinstalling them, even if i'm also so much lazy :)

I was also looking for forks caps that have the preload screw but i can confirm that they will interfere with the covering, also 'cause my forks are installed 5mm higher than the original position.

HTH

·
Administrator
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your wish is granted!

(Feel free to delete this if it's not what you wanted!)
P.S. Are those fork springs really that small a wire? (0.0814 x 25.4 = 2.067mm) Thats like a side stand spring,

ADMIN EDIT> Removed the PDF's of not applicable for Burgmans.
I removed PDF's 1-4 ass they were not for a Burgman type.

OPPPPPSIE..... Decimal point in wrong place and left off the 0.1 part.

Yes the spring is small in wire diameter. But it is 0.184 to 0.187 measured in 5 places
Calipers Light Scale Font Gauge

Reactions: RollingStone

·
Administrator
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the Suzuki SV650 has a longer lower fork section and a longer top too. it is just the same fork tube diameter as the Burgman 650.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts