Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of frustration with the wind noise, and past my third week of waiting for the Clearview I ordered, I removed the windscreen completely and went for a 30 minute ride. Without the badly designed screen of course the helmet wind noise was vastly diminished. However, sitting in the upright position, rather than having one's torso canted forward, as on a sportbike, I could see that the wind's pressure on my chest would be quite tiring after a few miles.

So I returned home and tried to reinstall the windscreen. I couldn't get the rubber flanges through the holes, no matter how hard I tried. So I asked Pauljo how he did his (see Page 3 of the Gas Mileage thread).

He said line up the windscreen holes over the mounting holes in the bracket, simply insert a screw into the rubber mount (there's a threaded nut concealed within) which - aha! - he had first removed by pulling them out of the mounting bracket.

Well, that made things easier. So I tried pulling them out of the mounting bracket, when it suddenly occurred to me that if I removed the mounting bracket first, I could simply pull the rubber nut fasteners out from the rear of the mounting bracket. This was amazingly easy. I inserted a screw in each rubber nut fastener, turned it until it caught in the threads, then pushed each one easily through the windscreen which I had laid on a nearby table.

I replaced the mounting bracket. I then positioned the windscreen properly in front of the bracket, lining up the holes, and pushed each rubber nut fastener into its appropriate hole in the mounting bracket - again quite easily. Then you tighten the screws, remount the front cover, and go for a ride.

Pauljo suggested I do this for practice, since I would have to learn how to do it when the Clearview arrives. I appreciate that, sir. I am now a professional AN650 windshield R & R technician.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ted White said:
it suddenly occurred to me that if I removed the mounting bracket first, I could simply pull the rubber nut fasteners out from the rear of the mounting bracket. This was amazingly easy.
Great idea Ted! Pulling those rubber nuts out of the front of the mounting bracket was the hardest part!

I'll tell you a secret. When you get your Clearview you'll get a baggy full of longer screws and plastic bits. There will also be four small plastic spacers held on to the back side of the screen by the protective wrap.

Throw all that stuff away (or put it in your junk bin), and install the Clearview exactly like you re-installed the stock screen.

Why does Clearview supply that stuff??? Because they couldn't figure out how to pull the rubber nuts out of the mounting bracket! I swear - they explained that to me on the phone. They figured that most of their customers would be unable to do it.

So they devised a way to mount the screen OVER the rubber nut flanges, instead of inserting the rubber nuts through the screen again. Unfortunately, their way is more difficult than what you just did - and I don't think it is as sturdy a system as re-using the rubber nuts properly.

Again, congratulations on your innovation!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
So they devised a way to mount the screen OVER the rubber nut flanges, instead of inserting the rubber nuts through the screen again. Unfortunately, their way is more difficult than what you just did - and I don't think it is as sturdy a system as re-using the rubber nuts properly.
I've heard some reports of people's Clearview windshields rubbing on thier mirrors. Could not mounting it the way Clearview suggests be the cause of this?

I'm thinking of getting the Clearview XXL because, at 6' 5", the OEM screen is a tad short for me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may be onto something, Brian. I'v read some posters complaining about mirror rub, yet others insisting that they don't rub. Whether this is a function of what size Clearview, I don't know. I've never seen one, however, I will in two days when mine arrives. If it contacts the mirrors I will definitely let you know (I ordered just the Large size, as I'm not very tall, and my goal is to cut down on helmet wind noise without having to look through a windscreen - we'll see).

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I am the one who had the infamous mirror rubbing XXL Clearview screen. I tried mounting it both ways (Suzuki's way and Clearview's way). Absolutely no difference in the results.

It was a production defect. They eventually sent me a replacement screen, and it has ample mirror clearance. I mounted the replacement Suzuki's way. It is a lot easier - if you know Ted White's patented secret for removing the rubber nuts. You did patent that Ted, didn't you?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Thanks, Paul. Good to know I won't have to worry about it, and good to know that Clearview exercised good customer service by sending you a replacement for a defective product. You said "eventually." Did you have to pressure them, or did they just have a delay?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Brian said:
Thanks, Paul. Good to know I won't have to worry about it, and good to know that Clearview exercised good customer service by sending you a replacement for a defective product. You said "eventually." Did you have to pressure them, or did they just have a delay?
Ah... you noticed that... We had a few phone conversations over the span of a month or so. They had me play with the mounting (which made absolutely no difference). They suggested that I might try to fix it with a heat gun (which I was not willing to do). When I pressed them, they agreed to send me a replacement screen, but it didn't show up right away - I had to follow up a couple of times. They aren't bad folks to talk to, and they will stand behind their product, but you have to stay on top of them a bit.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I did apply for a patent. It was granted, and it's good until 2025.

Folks wanting to utilize my patented rubber nut removal method should be prepared to mail a thank-you-for-saving-me-hours-of-work note containing a small gratuity. $20 bills are nice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
shield

ah,but did you get a patent for the clearview and the givi? or just the clearview? could be out some major bucks there ted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts