Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and FREE!

I wanted to go on a 220 mile trip and I wanted a cup holder. I didn't have much time so whipped this up. It worked! It doesn't look nice, but it worked! I'll probably leave it on to see how long it lasts ---then make Version 2.

Material:
* Empty 2-quart plastic juice bottle
* Duct tape

I guessed at dimensions and got it "good enough" the first time. Next time, I might lengthen the "support strap" so the front corner of the holder touched the "floor."

I'd also put a couple of holes in the holder so spilled liquids or rain could drain.

One advantage: if you bump it with your foot, which you will do, it flexes and nothing breaks!

I'm sure this will work on other years/models but am posting it here as mine is a 2008 Burgman 400.

·
Registered
748 Posts
That's awesome. I love stuff like that. I need to post pictures of my barbaric CVT holding tools I 'made' yesterday, lol.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
good idea! much cheapear than a tunnel bag!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Being an older fellow, and having many times ridden without cup holders as far as a tank of gas would carry me, or as far as I would care to without giving my butt a rest, I am kind of fuzzy on the whole "cup holder" phenomenon that seems to have evolved over the last 25 years or so.

There was a time when even cars did not have them, and I have never felt an overwhelming desire to have one on a bike. In fact just removed them from my "new-to-me" '98 SL500¹ because even though they could fold up they still ate up too much space in the center console cubby. Then there's the fact that no one--even me--gets into any car I have ever owned with a beverage container without a leak proof screw-on cap.

Pissed off some neighbors just a while back when we went out to grab a quick bite at McDonalds and I would not let them in the car with their supersize carry-out drinks with the stick-on lids--told them to "toss 'em or walk home..."

-----------------------------------------
¹ - Would anyone like to buy the SL500 cupholders? They are $312 from Mercedes; I will sell them for 1/20th of that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes Mike that's what I meant. Taking a drink while driving. What would be the purpose of having that device there if it's not to drink while driving? otherwise one just needs to place a container under the seat and drink when your stopped...

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I love the cup holder arguement

Its entertaining to me with the whole "stop, pull over, get off, open seat, drink, put back, get one, start, and go" philosophy.

Why do I have a cup holder? because sitting at a traffic light for minutes on end while driving around town in full gear gets kind of hot. So its nice to know that when I'm sitting at a light that's not going to change for at least 2-3 minutes, that I can take a drink.

Its also great that I can run out for lunch, get my meal and drink, and run back to work to eat it, without having to worry about where my drink is going to go and not spill.

Do I drink while I'm going down the interstate? No. Do I drink at stop lights? Yes. Do I occasionally pull over real quick for a quick drink and not have to worry about digging under my seat? Yes.

Not all of us are highway warriors and can go 200 miles without stopping, and only just for fuel.

Only had my current 650 for 2 weeks, and completely going insane since I don't have a cup holder installed on it yet, a lot of the things I'm accustomed to doing/getting I can't do. I want some Starbucks for lunch? great... if I go and down it real fast before hauling butt back to work. Maybe I want a combo meal? Nope, can only get a burger, no place for a cup of tea.

Cup holders aren't just used to drink while driving, they serve many other purposes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts