Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my current bike (V Star 250) with something a little larger and more comfortable. I've found a K5 Burgman at a local(ish) dealer and could use some opinions from them what's had a Burgman for a little while.

First is a little background, the bike would be used as a semi-daily commuter (~40 miles one way for me), weekend rider, quick errand runner, learning bike for my wife. I've always like the looks of the maxi-scooters and the Burgman has been at the top of my maybe list, just because of the options when buying one (400, 650, trim levels) and they are easier to find around here than the Silverwings and Majesties.

Now, this bike in particular is at a dealership, seems to be an ok price ($2300 pushing $3k OTD) it's a 2005 with 26,xxx miles on it. I took it for a test drive yesterday and noticed a few things.

1. It handles great, slow speed uturn on a road with lots of loose dirt on it and nary a twitch, smooth lane changes, nice balance.

2. Gasoline smell when first driving it (possibly the city) but after reading that thread I suspect it was venting, it was exceedingly hot here yesterday.

3. Acceleration or lack thereof. The little 250 jumps off like a rocket (ok, a special needs rocket granted) but tapers out very quickly. I.e. the bike will jump off the line and then accelerate at a normal pace, it's that way through all 5 gears. This was a lot smoother acceleration from the Burgman, but it felt slow. I don't know that I would call it sluggish, but I would say more like it was starting in 2nd gear instead of first, once it got rolling the acceleration was steady, there was never a moment of "hold on for dear life" like on most bikes. I don't know if that's an issue, or just a function of the CVT.

What else should I be looking for when inspecting this prior to purchase?

·
Registered
243 Posts
My starting price has always been the average Kelly Blue Book dealer trade-in ($1,745) and dealer suggested retail in excellent condition ($2,590). With this bike, that would be around $2,170. If this bike is in excellent shape then your looking at a fair price -- if not a tad high -- but fair. However, the average mileage for a 2005 is around 14,000. So, you'd be buying a bike with above average mileage. I'd want to see the service records. More knowledgable folks will be able to tell you what will soon be needed on a Burgman 400 with that type mileage. I think this mileage would indicate a possible new clutch and belt, or at least a check. If the service records don't indicate that this has been done, you may want to negotiate it be done.

Most would advise, upon take off from a stop, to "blip" the throttle to around 4,500. This engages the CVT quickly and avoids "glazing" of the clutch. This may eliminate the slow take off you mentioned.

There was a design change in 2007 for the 400. The biggest change, from my perspective, is the recommended valve check at 3,500 mi. intervals for the pre-2007 and the 14,500 mi. Intervals valve check on the 2007+.

Hope this helps and I know you're going to like whatever Burgman you get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John,
The bike is a little bit on the rough side, and $2300 was their first offer, so I'm going to try to get that down a little bit more, there's a few cosmetic issues, and the high miles on it make me feel like that price needs to be a little lower.

I've read about the valve check intervals, how complex is the process to check the valves? I'm sort of mechanically inclined, most small jobs on my bikes and cars I've done myself.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm about 1,000 away from my first valve check. My bike is a 2008, so the valve check is every 14,500.

Check out the link below for a good tutorial on valve checks for pre-2007 bikes.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/32-how/11790-burgman-400-valve-adjustment.html

I used to do all my own maintenance on cars and motorcycles. I haven't done my own for many years. Back then I had more money than time. Now that I'm retired, I have more time than money. As you, I consider myself "sort of" mechanically inclined and I look forward to learning the maintenance routines.

Remember the Kelly Blue Book price was for a dealer bike in excellent condition. Sounds like this one doesn't meet that criteria. Also, the Kelly Blue Book price changes from geographic area to area. You should take a look at scooterfinds.com to get a good estimate what asking prices are. My 2008, with service records and 11,000 mi. cost $2,650. It was downed once and there were a few scrapes on it, so, I think, I got a good deal. I hardly notice the small scratches. That's in Michigan where prices tend to be a bit higher than other parts of the country -- not sure about North Carolina.

Good luck and let us know what you decided.

John

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Adjusting the valves is not a big deal once you get stuff out of the way so you can access them. 1/2 day job for a shade tree mechanic. The tutorial link above is good but he does remove a few things you don't absolutely need to remove to do the job.

Acceleration for a CVT bike is different from what you experience on a shifter bike. It is smoother without the peaks you get when you shift gears. However the 400 is generally considered quick off the line. It is possible the prior owner changed the rollers to a different weight to get lower rpms on the highway. This can result is slower acceleration at lower speeds. You can tailor how quick the CVT shifts into higher ratios by changing the rollers and springs in the variator.

26,000 is not really high mileage if it has been properly maintained and not abused. I'm over 41,000 on my 06 400 and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I can tell you that I am really liking my new to me 2006 400. Mine accelerates very quickly, quicker than any 125-250 I tested{although I did not try a v-star}. I would bet that the CVT is probably needing some love - maybe a new belt and/or rollers.

I got the gas smell a couple of times when it was super hot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts