Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I currently own a motorcycle but am thinking of selling it to get into a Burgman. Every review, forumn, and salesperson has nothing but good things to say about them! And, I must say, I love the mega scooter concept. Anyway, I'm trying to decide between a 400 and 650 and I'm hoping you all can help me out. A little about my needs:

I plan to commute on it (weather permitting) about 5 miles one way on city streets. It'd mainly be used for errands, getting around town, etc. but the highway is a possiblity but probably not a great deal of the time. My main concern is that I'm 6'5" and 240 lbs and I'm not sure if the 400 would be too small for me. Also, I'd like to have the option of riding 2 up on the highway (total of 400 lbs). Other than the occassional 2 up & highway riding, I'm not concerned about power so much as leg room & general comfort. The 400 is cheaper, more nimble around town (so I've read), and gets better mileage.

Can you all steer me in the right direction??

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
1. Find one of each and sit on them. Turn the handlebars lock to lock. I am 6'6", and the 400 bars hit my leg when fully turned - the 650 didn't. Bear in mind that you can gain an additional 2" or so of legroom by removing that adjustable butt stop (backrest).

2. Many folks have a tendency to underestimate the type of riding they'll be doing when they buy a new machine. I've done 3 tours on my 650 this season. All of them included 500 mile days with highway cruising speeds of 75 - 80 mph. I've put 11,500 miles on it in one year. You may not do as much, but I'll predict that you'll do more than "occasional" highway riding. These machines beg to be ridden. For solo riding, the 400 would be adequate if you fit comfortably on it. For 2-up riding, you'd be better off with the 650, especially considering your weight to begin with.

The 400 is a good scooter, it costs less to buy, and it gets better mileage. The 650 is more powerful, handles even better, rides somewhat better, and may be a more comfortable fit for a person your size. If you can afford it, I think the 650 would be a better choice for you. If the 400 fits your wallet better, and you fit comfortably on it, then it may also be an appropriate choice.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums JShag. I think the 400 would do very well for the type of riding you listed and more. I'm just a little bit lighter than you and the 400 has good pep. I do have a concern about the comfort. I'm 6 feet even and would like a bit more legroom. You can do mods to gain extra leg room such as a Corbin seat, have the stock seat customized, turn the buttrest into a backrest, or just remove the buttrest as Paul suggested. Given your height, if the 650 is within your budget, I'd probably got that route.

One other suggestion. Have the dealer remove the 2 retaining screws from the buttrest for you. They are often a pain to remove.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome
For size and weight with riding two up like I do 90% of the time I know the 650 is great for me.You will not be sorry with the larger Burg
Good Luck
PS.Now have 3500 miles-great fun

·
Registered
355 Posts
First of all - WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

I agree with Paul, you will ride more than you think, and if two up highway riding is a concern go with the 650. I have removed the buttstop for more room on the seat and for more legroom (though the legroom increase does not compare to what you get from a Corbin seat it is good for my 6'). I also reccomend having the seat reworked if you remove the buttstop to add pading over the metal plate, as well as give your ride a custom look (I'll never attempt to hop on the wrong 650 at a rest stop again!).

The 400 is a great scoot and if you fit it would suit you best if you stick to just one up city riding. But you wont.

As for the switch from cycle to scoot design, it took me a couple days to get used to lack of clutch. Don't miss shifting at all. I love my 650.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
65 Posts
J,

Save some money and buy the 650. With your motorcycle experience you won't be intimidated. Some folks think the 650 is big. I came off of a BMW 1200 CLC and the 650 is a joy. You'll save money because if you buy a 400, you'll want a 650 real soon and you'll lose money when you sell the 400.

Good luck,

C

·
Registered
355 Posts
Habu55 said:
J,

Save some money and buy the 650. With your motorcycle experience you won't be intimidated. Some folks think the 650 is big. I came off of a BMW 1200 CLC and the 650 is a joy. You'll save money because if you buy a 400, you'll want a 650 real soon and you'll lose money when you sell the 400.

Good luck,

C
Yeah, what he said!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi JShag

WELCOME to the forum :wave:

There is no way you will fit on a 400 (unless you have very short legs). I am 6'1" and it is 'OK'-ish but I could do with about 3 inches more room to be perfectly comfortable.

You will deffo need to sit on and (preferably) test ride a 650.

The maxi-scoot is a geat concept and the 650 is probably the best for touring bar none. (bloody heavy though!).

PS: A good job your first name is not Ian! :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for the advice... I've sat on the 650 before but, of course, the seat back/rest thing kept me from getting the proper leg room. I figured that there had to be a way to adjust or move it. If not, I'm sure that an aftermarket seat would give me the room my knees needed! If the 400 gives any less leg room that the 650, there's no way that it'd work for me.

Once I sell my current bike, I'll be on the market! If anyone hears of one for sale this spring in or around St Louis, I'm their man!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
JShag said:
Once I sell my current bike, I'll be on the market! If anyone hears of one for sale this spring in or around St Louis, I'm their man!
Keep a watch in the 'Classifieds' forum. We get Burgmans popup for sale every now and then.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
JShag said:
...I'm 6'5" and 240 lbs and I'm not sure if the 400 would be too small for me.
Greetings, and welcome to the forum. :hello2:

I'm also 6' 5" and I was 240 when I went shopping for my scooter. (I'm down to 225 today.)

I sat on a 400; found it too small. Test rode a Honda Silverwing and the Burgman 650. Bought the 650.

I mainly planned on using it to commute, and maybe take on the freeway from time to time to run downtown to a theater or restaurant or someting.

Well, that was my plan then. Last week I was just getting back from a ride that took me from Canada to Mexico. I never would have done that on anything smaller than the 650 (at least, I don't think I would have).

I only know of one person who traded down from a 650, but I've heard from several who have traded up from a 400.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Oboy, oboy! More local (St. Louis is only 162 miles from me - no sweat) riders!

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts