Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Well, still trying to decide betweeen the Burgman 400 and the Majesty 400 but am leaning toward the Burgman. Anyway a couple of questions I wanted to ask. I now own a Yamaha Vino 125 and I usually use both brakes to stop it as I read that is better than using just one. I thought I read that the Burgman 400 has something called an integrated braking system. What is that, how does it work, and should you still use both brakes at the same time time to come to a stop?

Second question involves insurance. What is the least expensive company out there to purchase motorscooteer insurance, about how much is it, and what coverage is generally needed?

By the way I think this forum is terrific. Thax for the help.

scootervan

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, Scootervan

The linked braking is exactly what it sounds like. You squeeze the front brake, and some of that squeeze gets applied to the rear. Not equally, but some. The fastest way to stop is the same way as with any bike: both front and rear. I haven't made up my mind about whether or not I care about it; it just is a fact of life for me.

You didn't say where you were located. For insurance around here, Megson Fitzpatrick is the place to go.

Simon

·
Registered
287 Posts
ClassicGeek said:
You squeeze the front brake, and some of that squeeze gets applied to the rear. Not equally, but some.
Actually, when you grab the REAR brake, it applies some stop to the front - when you grab the FRONT brake all you get is front brake.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well, to put an even finer point on it. When you grab the left brake control you have the linked system, and when you grab the right you have front brake only.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Scootervan

The combination braking is one of the best features of the 400 (if they had combined it with ABS it would have been purrrfect - it truly is a well balanced system. The other posters have explained it well but here is a pic which may help visualise whats going on.

The left lever, rear brake will also pass pressure to the lower pistons of the front brake caliper. The front brake caliper has two sets of pistons the upper operated by the right hand lever have a large effective working area so apply more force and the lower ones with a small effective working area which take pressure from the left lever (and rear brake).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Jeez, what do you guys do at night, sit at home and read the owner's manual? :lol:

I consider myself corrected.

I usually just drag my feet on the ground like Fred Flintstone, anyways... :wink:

Simon

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Actually Simon, that's precisely what I was doing last night (it was the shop manual instead of the owner's manual, much more interesting reading).

I hope one day to be able to work on my bike w/o having to crack the book open. 8) 8)

The Burgman shop manual only comprises 1 volume, unlike my truck which has a 6 volume shop manual, plus the addendum because it's an F-150 Lightning & somewhat different than the standard F-150. That one I'm still working on 6 years later (my truck is a 99).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts