Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to use a cigarette lighter plug on a battery tender and plug it into the usb plug port in the glove compartment? Will the work?:serious

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
if it's intended purpose is to start an electrical fire , I think you have a good chance of success.

Reactions: Tromper

·
Registered
358 Posts
As Mikey implies, probably not a good idea.

I don't think the USB port in the glove box is hot when the key is off, so also probably not effective.

Best bet, bite the bullet, hard-wire the adapter to the battery itself, with a fuse in line just in case.

As Dave_J would add, YMMV

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I think the cigarette lighter plug circuit is isolated when the ignition is off anyway.

Better to put a flying lead on the battery terminals direct with ring terminals. Make sure it is some sort of insulated connector and wire able to take the charge.

Edit: Rick beat me to it :) As he says, Dave-j is a sparky so he will probably pop by with sound advice.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
And if you have heated grips that same circuit powers those. It's controlled by the ignition (on/off) so as said..........

I do have a SAE connector directly connected to the battery with an inline fuse just off the positive terminal just for that exact purpose. It is same as highly recommended by Battery Tender company. No big deal to lift the seat and plug in. Just remember to turn off the courtesy light on the underside of the seat pan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay

Thanks to all that replied. If I would have thought a little more I would have known that wouldn't work.
Was just trying to get around pulling the battery and putting the regular wiring on it.My Bad.

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
I recommend that anyone wanting to do this is to add an Anderson plug or such connector rated for the AMP push. The standard 'Battery Tender' recommended connector is excellent for a Bike.

And like said above, the ignition switch cuts that power plug in the glove box off when the key is off. But you still do not want to flow that much power thru shuch a small wire and contacts in the ignition switch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Kymco Downtown 300i had/has the standard cigar lighter receptacle for a phone charger outlet, power on with ignition. When I rigged a WOLO horn ran a #12 wire with a fuse for the horn, its relay and the cig lighter socket. The lead originally for the phone charger outlet was used to power the TPMS received as a Christmas present. Snaked that #12 wire from forward to aft with the seat and trunk/helmet tub removed and the front fairing off. Not a bad project since now I can charge the AGM battery without removing ANYTHING! Plus, all other features are intact as well. Don't know how the Burgs are assembled but would guess very similar.

·
Super Moderator
2,331 Posts
Just get a 101 battery tender and install it.
If ya get a decent one and an adapter you can even run a set of gloves off it if ya want.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use the wire harness that stays connected to battery for Gerbing's heated clothing. Added male Gerbing's connector plug to 110 charger. Works for me. 12 volt air compressor that stays in scooter plugs into the wire harness too when needed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is it possible to use a cigarette lighter plug on a battery tender and plug it into the usb plug port in the glove compartment? Will the work?:serious
To charge your battery when stored? I just hook up the pigtail directly to my battery and hang it somewhere under the seat. Charge when stored in winter. Can also use the pigtail for other uses.
The pigtails are like 5 bucks.
I don't think the cig lighter is powered when the ignition ley is off.

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
and just in case you are wondering, you can drive off with the battery tender connected and not damage the bike, did it today!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mikey, we are so proud of you out here in "The Stumps"!

Henry in 29 Palms

1 - 14 of 14 Posts