Mike

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: Question to you burgermeisters: 650 or 400 for a new rid

Mike said:
I'm 270lbs, and would occasionally
ride with my wife who is 125lbs.
The 400 will be a dog at your weight. Get the 650. It's not a race replica so you should be ok if you ride with prudence (don't tell your wife! :wink:). I also strongly advise you to take an MSF course asap. It'll allow you to dust off your skills in a safe environment.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Mike, I take an opposite view: with your limited experience, I'd recommend a 400...maybe a used one...because it is much lighter and easier to handle. Too much power can get you in trouble in the beginning. Lighter weight means a lot if you have limitied riding skills, MSF or not, and at our age we are also not as coordinated as we once were. The 400 will handle your weight without a wheeze and your wife too unless you're going to be riding in the mountians or very hilly country. If you're like many of us, most of the time you will be riding alone.

In fact, I'd suggest you not rule out a Honda Reflex, or older Helix if you can find one cheap enough. Good to start out on for a year or two. Might well find its all you want.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Mike,

First thing I'd do is take the MSF Basic Rider course. You'll learn a lot of very important skills to make your riding experience safer. If you're planning on touring or riding 2-up most of the time, I'd get the 650. If most of your riding is local, you'd do well with the 400. If possible take a test ride on both bikes before making your decision.

·
Registered
44 Posts
which one

hi mike
i would go for the 650. I am the same as you and found the 650 to be all but nearly perfect. you won't regret it

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Mike and welcome to the forum!

I'm going to suggest the 650 since you're allready leaning that way anyways. Since you do have some riding experience I don't think it will be difficult for you to adapt quickly. The MSF course as others have mentioned is a wise move.

If you are like most of us you will find that you will be riding the scooter more and more and leaving the car parked. Runs to the store are easy with the trunk space provided in the Burgmans. The 650 will cruise with you and your wife very effortlessly.

Good luck with what ever choice you make!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Age+size+experience=650

(You know you want it.) 8)

Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Mike, I out weight you a little and the 400 does all I need, so far I have put 15,000 miles on it high way and interstate - I am not knocking a 650, I still think there great scooters -if you need that size -
It has already been said, but do take the MSF course.
And if you can get a used Helix cheep try it. then give it to your wife. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for your input and thoughts. Here is another question
for ya, would my wife (125 lbs) be able to hop on the 650 for 400
and go for a scoot by herself? Might be good for her soul too.
Hava a happy new year.

Mike

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Height and particularly leg length is much more important than weight. If she could sit on the scooters in a showroom, you could see if her feet reach the ground OK on either model. Proper rider training would also be important if she hasn't ridden before. If you are thinking that you steer these scooters by tossing your weight from side to side, you need to learn about countersteering. Using countersteering, a 125 lb person could safely steer an 800 lb motorcycle - the only potential issue would be very low speed riding where leg strength could prevent a tipover mishap in some circumstances.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Mike, you and your wife should sit on the bikes in the showroom and see how they fit. Make sure you can place both feet flat on the ground. With both feet on the floorboards (bike on centerstand), turn the bars as far to the left and right as they will go to see if the bars will hit your legs. Make sure you won't be riding with your knees jammed up against the dash.
The most important thing is that the bike fits you physically. Don't be overly concerned about the power difference between the 400 and the 650. Once you get used to the throttle control and feel, the 650's extra power is no big deal and is as easy to control as the 400's. It's all in how far YOU roll the throttle.
Like most of the others ( and as a retired MSF Instructor) I'd strongly recommend that you and your wife take a MSF Beginning Riders Course. I don't know the extent of your's and your wife's street riding experience but there's a lot more to it than as you stated "....hop on the 650 or 400 and go for a scoot by herself".
Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts