Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know what the risks are of depressing and holding down the electric ignition starter button after the engine has fired. I often do that and it has presented no problems on my 2005 Burgman 650. However, in the instruction manual for another brand of scooter (non Burgman, non Suzuki) it states that you should release your finger as soon as the motor fires up and should never hold down the ignition starter button for more than four seconds. Any clues as to the risks?

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
First, WHY? Holding the button after it starts does nothing. If you hold the brake lever in and hold the button the starter will spin at 1200 RPM where as the cranking before it fires up is about 800 RPM. Sure the starter clutch will help from over reving the starter motor too much but again, WHY?

Second, OK holding just the button in with the brake lever released will keep the 2005 and up's headlights OFF till you let the button go but at what savings????

Not hammering you, just explain why the need to hold the button in after startup. It does NOT hold the choke on, NO CHOKE.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts