Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of discussion about a desire for larger gas tanks on the burgmans.

My question, for those who have removed the plastic from their scoots, is the gas tank a squarish tank between the frame, or is does it fill up the space it is in? Can a new tank be constructed in a way that hugs around the frame rails, increasing volume? Is there other voids to expand the tank into ?

If this were possible, I imagine that if a tank manufacturer would take it upon themselves to create the new larger tank, they could get some good business.

dream question, I know.
thx

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes, probably a dream because the tank has the fuel pump built inside it. There would have to be a great deal of thought into this because there would have to be electrical feeds and pressure considerations. This is not a normal gravity fed fuel system. There was someone who built and installed an auxillary tank inside the trunk but I don't know how this was used. Probably linked a fuel line into the existing tank and manually turned a tap to re-fill the existing tank. Besides, how much more fuel would you get...1 liter at most. Good thinking though and too bad they didn't make the tank larger.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
...is the gas tank a squarish tank between the frame, or is does it fill up the space it is in? Can a new tank be constructed in a way that hugs around the frame rails, increasing volume? Is there other voids to expand the tank into ?...
The AN650 tank fills the space it's in pretty well. It could go maybe an inch or two more to the rear. It couldn't go much higher, or fuel would slosh back into the neck when filling or going up hill.

The best bet for long-range riders would probably be an auxilliary tank mounted forward of the seat a la conventional M/Cs, with a transfer pump to move fuel to the main tank.

I wouldn't want an auxilliary tank in the trunk, because I think it's too high and to the rear.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for all that.

It was one of those late-night thoughts that you think might lead somewhere... like painting your wheels and grips yellow. :lol:

(BTW, that coloration looks nice)

Brian, in that pic you posted, that faded green blob above the rear tire... is that the tank? Seems small for 3 gallons...

Doesn't that pic show more room between the V-frame that supports the rear shocks, in front of the faded-green blob?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
...Brian, in that pic you posted, that faded green blob above the rear tire... is that the tank? Seems small for 3 gallons...
No, the fuel tank is the black, tank-shaped thing forward of the rear tire. The "faded green blob" you're seeing is probably the gold or brass colored fuel filler fitting. Follow the filler neck down and it'll come to the tank -- just behind and above the transmission.

For a really big version of that picture, click here: http://tfic.com/v-web/gallery/Burgman650/an650k4fe012?full=1

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
They could have made the tank 30% bigger but you would have lost the equivalent volume of trunk space and Cof G would rise a tad. They didn't and we are stuck with that.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
...Ok, next stupid question.... what is that orange thing on this side of the black gas tank.
Not a stupid question at all; it's a very good one.

That's the tank side TCP (tank-pressure control valve).
There's also an inlet side TCP that you can't see in the picture. It's gray instead of orange.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts