1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the old question. How much premium fuel is in the gas pump
hose. This is figuring that I selected regular and the previous guy
pumped supreme.

I'm sure it's been rehashed here numerous times.

Or, how bad am I getting screwed selecting premium when the
last guy bought regular. We're usually only pumping 3 gals.

Thanks for your insight in advance.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Craig,

The max amount of fuel in the line, assuming a 10-foot filling hose with an internal diameter of 3/4 inch, would be 0.229 gallons (V = pr2h, or 3.14 x (0.375 in.)2 x 120 in. x 0.00433 gal/in.3). Most of the current pumps I use have the end of the hose connected to the pump high up. You should be able to use gravity to get a little 'free fuel' if any is left in the hose by opening the valve on the pump handle before starting the pump. Once you have finished filling the tank, you can turn off the pump and use the same method to empty the hose again. I never worry with it myself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My general thought is; if your bike doesn't require premium, and you put it in anyhow, you're screwing yourself, and not really doing the bike, or car any favors...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have a question for the scientific , been thinking about it a while
1- Assume your headlight bulb has a 3500 hour life rating
2- You do 8,000 miles a year (or pick any number you like)
How do you figure how many hours the lamp is on ?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Randy said:
I have a question for the scientific , been thinking about it a while
1- Assume your headlight bulb has a 3500 hour life rating
2- You do 8,000 miles a year (or pick any number you like)
How do you figure how many hours the lamp is on ?
Thats a difficult one!
The life rating is a nominal from batch tests. In the real world thermal cycling from Ons and Offs shortens effective life. You can calculate the effect by multplying Bulb life by your average mpg and dividing by your grandmothers age.:wink:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I know that much Norman,
Trouble is my grandmother is dead and I don't know if I can use someone's else's grandmother. :lol:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Randy, probably your own is close enuf; if not, use mine! :lol:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Figure on 30mph average beacuse it's realist AND easy to work with. Divide 8,000 miles by 30 and get 266.6 hours. So with a 3,500 hour life rating on the bulb you should get 13 years on the bulb. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen because as mentioned previously, cycling the bulb (turning it on or off) shortens it's life, as does exposing it to bumps, vibrations, or changes in temperature or humidity. Also, a bulb that will burn for 3500 hours isn't specifically going to burn brightly for that long. So taking that all into consideration, I forgot what the question was... Oh yeah - forget the math, firgure on around 2 years on the bulb life depending on your riding habits...

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Robert said:
Figure on 30mph average beacuse it's realist AND easy to work with. Divide 8,000 miles by 30 and get 266.6 hours. So with a 3,500 hour life rating on the bulb you should get 13 years on the bulb. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen because as mentioned previously, cycling the bulb (turning it on or off) shortens it's life, as does exposing it to bumps, vibrations, or changes in temperature or humidity. Also, a bulb that will burn for 3500 hours isn't specifically going to burn brightly for that long. So taking that all into consideration, I forgot what the question was... Oh yeah - forget the math, firgure on around 2 years on the bulb life depending on your riding habits...
which funnily enuf is pretty **** close to what I worked out with my formulae - but I used Ted's age! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Monterey10 said:
pumped supreme.

The answer to your question is: NONE!

No fuel is left in the hose when you finish filling your tank. The gas pump is designed to suck back any remaining fuel still left in the hose. I bet your next question is....I paid for that gas since it went thru the pump meter. Dont worry, that has been already been calculated into the process.

The reason for sucking back all of the fuel is for safety. I'm not totally positive on the exact points, but basically all fuel is removed from the above ground components for fire safety.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
On page 106 of Jan 05 Cycle World magazine. This exact question was asked by a reader and the reply was basically " The small amount of fuel in the hose should not be significant to taint the overall octaine rating...etc..." Nothing about what I previously wrote. Hmmm?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
There's an easy way to check on your next fill up ... just see if you an get any fuel out of the line after the pump is off. I just filled my tank last night or I'd go try it now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
pumped supreme.

WHAT!!!!! Tell me your taking the P*** please..

I live in the UK- have you seen the fuel prices here? I don't worry about that or the 5 drips of fuel I spill every time I remove the nozzle from the tank - OMG!!!! how many gallons do I leave on the garage forecourt every year!!!!!!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Greengoose said:
" Nothing about what I previously wrote. Hmmm?
You dazzled us into speechlessness I guess! :shock:

That's the first time I ever heard that all residual fuel was retracted. I did find that interesting.

Back in the sixties and seventies, I avoided buying Sunoco (Conoco) gasoline because of that "blender" pump. I was sure that there was at least a half gallon of whatever octane the last person bought lurking in that hose. And while Sunoco had the highest pump octane available at one end of the selector dial, they also had the lowest octane on the market at the other end of the dial. Who knows? Maybe back then there actually was residual gasoline in the hose. All the other brands sold Regular from one pump, mid-grade from another pump, and Premium from a third separate pump. Made ya wonder about that Sunoco scheme!

But these days you have no choice. Everybody sells all three grades of gasoline from the same pump. Heck, most of the time you don't even know what brand of gas you are getting when you fill up at a Quik-Mart or other convenience store. When I left Connecticut 3 years ago, most gas was still sold under major brand names there (Mobile/Exxon, Texaco, Shell, etc.). Got out here to the middle of the country and it is entirely different here. Outside of the occassional Phillips 66 or BP, it's all sold out of convenience store pumps - and I'm pretty sure Quik-Mart doesn't own a refinery... The QT convenience store chain has "Guaranteed Gasoline" on all their pumps. What the heck is that supposed to mean? They guarantee it is gasoline as opposed to kerosene? Gimme a break. Somewhere along the way things got all messed up I tell ya. :roll:

See what not being able to ride does to me? :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts